xisto Community
james2002

Which Classic Book Is Your Favorite?

I sometimes read classic novels and I like Gone with the Wind most entertaining as I could imagine about what the world was a like more than 100 years ago. Life was so simple and apart from wars, they led simple life style.What is your favourite classic book?

I do like the book David Copperfield, by Charles Dickens, although I do not like it with to intense a passion. I do, in general, like classic books better than these modern-day fangirl-driven books that are too easy to digest, very much like cheese, if you'd pardon the pun.Ah, I also remembered reading a Tom Sawyer book when I was a kid but I didn't understand a single word of it back then. I did, however, find me a copy of Mark Twain's Huckleberry Finn and I did enjoy it.I've just finished reading Robert Louis Stevenson's Treasure Island and I can't quite describe how I felt cheated by Disney's movie, Pirates of the Carribean, again, my apologies for the pun. I've started reading on his other works; I've borrowed an old, brown, fragile and thick copy of his works from the library. Hopefully, it will tide me over through Christmas break :)

I loved Gone With The Wind but I don't think I would call it a classic; classic to me includes Robert Louis Stevenson, Charles Dickens, Victor Hugo, Jules Verne, and Oscar Wilde, all of whom I love. In terms of the film industry, Gone With The Wind would indeed be a classic, but in terms of literature, even the ones I mentioned are more recent than works of older authors. Oh wait, we can't forget Twain, Cooper, and Dumas!

Over all, though, I think my favorite is either 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea or The Hunchback Of Notre Dame and Les Miserables. I seem to like my French authors!

I don't know if I have a favorite "classic" book, but - to keep with the "favorite" part of the topic (LOL) - I've always adored Laura Ingalls Wilder's "Little House on the Prairie" books and I love "Charlotte's Web" :)

Ahh.. classic books. :rolleyes: Things that come to mind would be "David Copperfield" by Charles Dickens, "War of the Worlds" by HG Wells, "Around the World in 80 Days", "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea", "Journey to the Center of the Earth" by Jules Verne... Well... basically anything by Jules Verne... :rolleyes:; I love his books. Oh, and "Charlotte's Web". It was the first book that made me cry so bad... :)

My favorite classic book of all time was Winne the pooh, as a kid I would read it to mother (aaaaw). Although I can't really get into the classic anymore, most likely the lack of time to read them. I still like to talk about them from time to time.

Oh, and "Charlotte's Web". It was the first book that made me cry so bad... :lol:

Same here!! LOL I first read it in elementry school (along with "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory") and it was the first book to ever make me bawl like a baby! Such a great book - can't wait to see the latest film! ^_^

I am a philosophy major, and my favorite classics in that genre of literature are Plato's "Republic" and David Hume's "Dialogues Concerning Natural Religion."However, whenever it comes to reading for pleasure, I would have to give the nod to the Lord of the Rings trilogy. I picked up the Fellowing of the Ring in seventh grade, and it was the only book that I ever remember reading where I literally could not put it down. I think it only took me a few days to read it, and I read the other two parts of the trilogy shortly thereafter.

I dont have a particular book per se, but I would say my favorite classic literature would be Poe.

As far as philosophy is concerned, I appreciate the clarity of Thomas Paine's argument for deism in The Age of Reason; and yes, I enjoyed reading it too. :lol:

I prefer classics with some spunk, like A Flew over the Cukoo's Next, Catch 22, and Catcher in the Rye. They all deal with insanity, redundant laws, maturing, all back in the days where this stuff was alot more taboo.

I'd say Nineteen Eighty Four (1984) by Orwell is by far my favourite, apart from some Dostoyiefski books of course :P

Don't know if you have read it...Talks about a dystopian government and its influence on the population...This book has not only influenced me personally but also COUNTLESS future books, movies and other arts.

Check it out :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nineteen_Eighty-Four

I have to say my favorite is definitely To Kill A Mockingbird. I've also read Great Gatsby (wasn't a huge fan), Lord of the Flies (liked it), Tom Sawyer (liked it) & Huck Finn (not a fan) among others. And while I don't know if I'd call them classic novels, I also really liked Of Mice & Men and One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.

I am not a book reader person, thus I do not have a favourite classic book of all times. I do however love Roald Dahl's (RIP) books, as I used to read them when I was a little child. Well now I like the Harry Potter books, I haven't read all of them as I don't find the time, I have just read a few urm sentences? :P