xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
james2002

We Must Travel To The Stars To Save The Human Race!

I have found following news very much interesting.

Stephen Hawking warned that future generations would need to leave the planet to ensure the survival of the species as he picked up a prestigious scientific accolade yesterday.
Professor Hawking, 64, a mathematics professor at the University of Cambridge, said space rockets using the kind of technology seen in Star Trek would be needed to colonise hospitable planets.

Read more at following page.

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

What is your opinion?

well i don't see why do you need to be a brilliant scientist to have this kind of opinion.it's just the question of time when this planet is going to become too small for all of us to live in. either we will stop making so much babies, either we will begin to research space travel. but is it possible?yes in star trek they have super technology which they use to travel with light speeds, but how is it possible for us to do the same thing?we don't have warp technology, and since we can't even resolve simple problem like oil reserves, how the hell are we going to be capable of space travel?except if some crazy scientist doesn't get serendipity and discovers new kind of engines we are doomed to this planet, and that's that.maybe the best thing for us would be to start building large colonial ships with capacity up to 100,000 residents, and with about 2 - 10 of these colonial ships we go into space, with calculating how much time would it need for us to get to nearest M class planet (Alpha Centauri i think). Let's say we start these ships with 40,000 k colonialist, but food and rest.. i don't know.. i have no idea.does anybody know what is the time that we need to travel to nearest M class planet?

the opinion of the great stephen hawking is not without basis, nor is it not without merit. the only way humans can survive in the future is to colonize other habitable planets, or at least make room for more without (as opposed to within) planet earth (think "halo" - the game :rolleyes:).

at the rate of the population growth globally, and the rate of (mostly negative) environmental impact population has over the planet earth's resources, it will be in the next millennium or two when earth will eventually wither and die.

but moving the rest of humanity (and all other species -- animal and plant life, plus the collective knowledge of generations of our specie) towards a more suitable habitat would be a huge undertaking, something which not one country alone can do on its own.

we'd all have been reduced to fertilizer ourselves (food for worms :)) by then. but it would be to a good measure if we think about these things in our time for the sake of future generations. with less likelihood of success is tackling this issue of transplanetary/transgalaxy migration by devising and implementing things so that humans of the future don't have to leave dear earth instead. :rolleyes:

One of NASA's goals is to return humans to the moon by 2020...
or at least that`s what they are saying on their site..read here
Moon is a good option, me thinks, as it is quite close (so to say :) ) to Earth, and maybe transportation of the materials needed would be easier :rolleyes:...anyway, how would they create an environment which would be suitable for human life? for example, the atmosphere...:rolleyes:

your opinion?

Edited by hts (see edit history)

my thoughts: We're *BLEEP*ed right? So let's just enjoy our lives while we can.

Even if they do invent all this space travel *BLEEP*, we'll be long dead before anyone but the rich can use it... and I doubt they're any rich people on Xisto... otherwise they'd but their own server etc.

That would rock, but I guess it wont happen until another 50 years. The way technology is being developed I dont see why we couldnt do something like this. But now that I think of it, this Idea is kind of stupid right now, How the hell is the human race going to colonize other planets if it cant even take care of its own planet problems? In order for something of this magnitude to be able to happen, all the world has to unite into one, and help all the other undeveloped countries.

Well I think this will happen earlier than we think, but i think that kind of technology will be done until then.

How the hell is the human race going to colonize other planets if it cant even take care of its own planet problems? In order for something of this magnitude to be able to happen, all the world has to unite into one, and help all the other undeveloped countries.

I think that human race is going to colonize planets one after other, it seems like we dont understand how to take care of a planet and we will do the same with the planet we colonize.
Flakes have reason in that, all the world must be united, if the human race is gonna move to somewhere else, a single country would not be able to do that alone.

About the oil reserve problem someone said above, its evident that for move 6k millions of persons to other planet, will be needed unimaginable quantities of fuel, but i think that humans will find another kind of combustible that would work better than oil, something that would exist in big quantities or that can be renewable.

I have found following news very much interesting. Read more at following page.

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ What is your opinion?

1. First of all the headings tell " We Must Travel To The Stars To Save The Human Race!" . It is wrong headings of the topics or the newspaper article. There is a specific definition of "Star" and stars are in the same category of our "Sun" . Our planet and eight other planet are moving around sun. Sun is a star. Every star has its planets.

2. We can not live in star as we can not live in "Sun" . In facts we can not go near the Sun even if we could travel there. Our atmosphere protect us from the the Sun and without it we can not live on the earth. I think you and the article's writer mean trying to live in one of our neighbours planets not the stars. Even Prof warned that future generations would need to leave the planet to ensure the survival of the species. He used "Planet" and didn't say "star". Only he urges to find a speedy travel mean as in science fiction "star trek" where they use to travel with light speeds.

3. I think people are confusing Science fictions with the reality. In science fiction as in wicked science there are unlimited of imagination and dream what the science can do. I think you used "travel to Star" by influence of "Star trek".

4. Until now after 60 years of space travelling man could visit moon for few hours. Moon is not a planet but a sputnik to the planet "Earth". So we have long way to travel to one f our neighbour planet.

5. We know that human can not survive without air and water so before inhabiting any of these planet you have to prove the existence of "oxygen" and air there. That why the missions now concentrate on Mars for that possibility.

6. Or may the scientists can find ways to use the resources there to generate Oxygen and water . and even they find that way it have to be cost effective. I think it is more thousands times harder than changing sea and oceans water to be drinking water to human and planting. This will change life in many places and find places to more population and produce food for them. I think it is better to concentrate on that direction .

well i don't see why do you need to be a brilliant scientist to have this kind of opinion.

You're right. You don't have to be a brilliant scientist to realize that our world is falling apart due to pollution, over population even a nuclear war is still possible. Th 3rd World War is probable in my opinion and as Einstein said the 4th World War will be fought with bats and stones.
Yeah... the world is falling apart and I'm very afraid their is nothing we can do anymore. We have already crossed the final line. The answer is space. Maybe the the world is falling apart, but there is still time to save a part of it..
I think technology related problems are easy to be resolved. I'm sure that in 100 years we will have some sort of warp drive just like in Star Trek. Harder to change are people conceptions. Most of them will not understand why the governments of the world should spend billions and billions of dollars on something they won't see in their lifetime. Take the space race for example. As long as the USSR was in the space race the government gave billions of dollars for space research. When the Cold War ended and there was nothing to prove anymore the funds were cut. There was no more interest to "to boldly go where no man has gone before."
So the future for mankind is space. But are we up to the challenge? Only time can tell...

I do not believe the next-generation of space-ships will use a 'warp drive' and I do not believe they will be capable of interstellar flight, but only inter-planetary flight.

I also believe these next-generation ships will use a principle called a force bias (I have a few ideas of the subject myself, but I really think some practical experiments are in order before I make any categorical statement).

Anyway, I believe that over the next hundred years we will definitely develop ships capable of safely and easily leaving the earth and traveling to the various planets of this system (and also of hauling cargoes to and from those worlds). Those planets (and the asteroid belt) are a vast source of raw materials. Factories can also be placed on these dead worlds, removing pollution from earth. Massive solar generators in space could beam energy via microwaves to receptors on earth, to provide clean energy.

As for the problem with excess population - if science gives humans all the above, they can d**n well learn to control their excess population or they really deserve to go back and live in trees and scratch each other for fleas.

As for ships that can open the gates to the very stars - those will also come in time. Just not right now, I think.

I believe them to be possible, but while my mind can actually think of possible ways to build a safe and reliable force-bias interplanetary drive, constructing an interstellar drive is completely beyond me. There are theories, of course, but I really prefer to be practical. And if I can think of a way to build a reliable interplanetary drive, it's a huge possibility (humans being what they are) that there are other individuals around the globe who are capable of the same thing. This is why I believe the development of a reliable ship capable of traversing this system to be imminent.

I Always knew this day would have to come sooner or later. At the rate we are destorying our new world it will be sooner. Without a doubt they have or should be planning for this kind of events. But I do agree that they would have to invent someway of cheating the laws of phsics and move faster then the speed of light. But that is a totally different issue. As none of use know why we are here and why there is life. We all know one thing, we don't want to die. I have nothing against Humans moving from one planet to another. If that is what is need to survive, I'm all for it.

Hmm, a very practical attitude, I must say. Perhaps the very attitude that enables the human race to survive, hehe.

He is a genius. He might be right but who knows. This might be what we know as the doomsday. This might actually happen but might not happen because doomsday will come before it. He also states we might know the mind of god. I don't think so because we humans use only 10% of our own brain and god is like supreme how can we know him before knowing ourselves. Well going to the stars is not so impossible only if we can travel at the speed faster than light it might be possible and it would still take over 1000 years like he stated. Humans are not yet so advanced and i dont see this coming in the next 100 years. I don't think i will be able to go to space in my lifetime but my children or my grandchildren might be able to go there. Lets just leave it up to god.

While Dr Hawkins might be very smart, rather than travel to another planet, why further our use of this planet? By this I mean, we have a very vast largely untapped resource we could use in the oceans. If we are smart enough to travel to other planets, why do we not have the technology to successfully build an underwater city? We are able to travel in space and build structures that can house and support life in space, surely we could do similar in the oceans?The ocean is a renewable resource that we can draw clean energy from, this has alady been done, we just need to refine our techique so that is more efficient and cost effective. I see this as a much more viable alternative to traveling to another planet. Support to the underwater complex is more available, travel to it is much simpler and cheaper, not to mention safer. I think we need to look down before we look up.

How much ever we deny it, there is no greater truth than this - The world is becoming inhospitable day by day. Going to the stars to survive is an interesting thought but would perhaps not be feasible. Other planets like Mars may be better hospitable. But why would we even want to get there? Why not save our earth? Going to mars only to destroy it too? Yeah h, humans never learn from their past mistakes. Reading all this only makes me remember the dialogue in the first Matrix where Agent Smith compares the human race to a virus. As i thought then all I can say is-- How true!!!!