xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
SportsLegends

Can A Computer Idiot Have A Site Here? I dont know any code

Hey guys-I just became a member, and I was taking a look at the features that are offered. It looks awesome!I have one major concern though, and I am sure that you can help me out. I have virtually no html/ scripting experience. I was anticipating being able to essentially type some stuff into something like a "Word" document for the content of my simple web pages. Is there some part of the file manager where I can do this?I am sorry if this question is answered elsewhere in the forums- I looked around for half an hour before I decided to post my question. I am a sports enthusiast, and wanted to create a site/ blogs for fun, but I am far from an experienced programmer. I know a tiny bit of html and could survive, but I would prefer to not have to do any coding.Thanks so much for your help!!!!

Absolutely. Sign-on to your account cpanel and checkout the pre-installed scripts like Mambo and Joomla. They are Content Management Systems which take alot of the work out of building a site. There are some distinct advantages to using them, like allowing others to update information if you allow them access and permissions.

Understand the nature of Xisto.Welcome, first of all! :) The way Xisto works is like this: You are to participate in our forum in *any* forum section you want. This means you do not have to be a computer savvy. You may wish to participate our SPORTS section--that section needs to be beefed up anyway.By participating and following our forum rules, in return, Xisto shows appreciation by providing you with free web hosting. And I can tell you already like what you see. So the importance is in the forum participation and not what you know or how much you know. By the way, we have few sports enthusiasts around and perhaps we can share website designing tips concentrated around sports theme. Xisto asks that you search the forum first before making a new topic. But don't be afraid to make a topic if it means creating a thread worthy of good discussions. There are serveral sections that you should get to know:The Internet > Website designing and discussionLife Talk > SportsTutorialsand any other areas you feel comfortable participating. You are not bound to the above sections but it's a good point of interest to start.Another section, if you already have not, General Talk > Introduction.Good luck.

hai dont make ur self uncomfortable.Not everyone was born as a computer genius.You've to learn from others or from books, if you have the passion to learn more then you can too become a genius soon.

Hi there! As everyone already said, yes of course you can!Have you ever used frontpage? if you have it installed on your computer it is a little like word except it makes web pages for you, you simply drag and drop images and type text add colours etc...and it will write the HTML code for you, its not the best tool around but it will be fine to use until you want to branch out into more complex things. If you don't have it then no worries i think you can use word, as you said. If you use word to make the page how you want it to look and then "Save As" a web page you should be able to simply upload it (if you have trouble uploading then just ask anyone here and they will help) and it should work :) And if something doesn't work then just post a message in the HTML forums or somewhere, no question is stupid, you should've seen some of the questions i was asking at some points! :rolleyes: I wasn't a website whiz when i arrived, i knew HTML but since I've been here I've learned a lot of PHP coding and i think Ive become better at website layout etc... so you will fit in fine here and probably learn a lot :rolleyes:

welcome to trap 17. its the best thing i have found on the internet , as far as making a site is concerned ,most of us were computer idiots when we started and slowly and steadily started earning ,what i would advise is don't start with a goal of earning a lot of thousands ,just start as a hobby and if it works out you earn,there are thousands of softwares available to make you a site making pro ,just find them and use it,its fun to make a site ,you'll be just loving it best of luck

I'm not part of the Xisto team, but I'm sure they'll let anyone have a website, as long as they keep posting (That's not meant to sound bad towards T17, btw :))

It doesn't matter if you're no good at HTML or any scripting, like it's been said there's pre-made scripts, and people might make them for you if you ask nicely.

But if you're looking to learn:
HTML Goodies is a very good site to learn at. It's where I learnt, and there's also other scripting languages to learn, once you've mastered HTML :rolleyes:

W3 Schools is also good, but it doesn't seem that "beginner friendly" to me. It's more like a glossary of the code.

If you have any questions, just ask :rolleyes:!

Thanks for all the help, guys! I expected nothing less, given the incredibly positive reviews that members have been giving regarding these forums.I am looking at Joomla as my program of choice. I remember using Dreamweaver in the past, and I really liked it, but that was several years ago, and I do not have a copy of it anymore. I also recall using html goodies in the past, so thanks for that reminder- it has lots of good stuff.

Just thought I'd add my two cents.I too would suggest Frontpage!Or if you can get your hands on Dreamweaver again - that would be excellent for you.I started on Frontpage. Didn't have a clue about HTML and even now, have never read a book on it.In the beginning I used it like a word processor to draw everything up, but I became very curious about what was going on behind the scenes.I found a lot of the time, especially when doing repetitive work, it was quicker and easier to copy and paste code than work through all the menus. This was how I learnt. Constant exposure to code and seeing the results of certain changes in the WYSIWYG (What you see is what you get) section.Frontpage is also really bad at writing code. This is a beneficial flaw because it helps you learn HTML. This is because:1. You feel compelled to fix really obvious errors which draws you in to the coding side of things2. You feel as if you can do a better job than the program is doing and gives you the confidence and motivation to attempt to write some sections of your own.I'm quite proficient at HTML now and have moved on to using Dreamweaver, but only on coding view. It is an excellent program that really keeps everything organised. As I said, if you can get your hands on a copy, do!Good Luck

Following on from my last post and my praise of Dreamweaver.......I have just discovered BBEdit and am completely blown away :lol:In a word, it's awesome!!!Anyone who is using a mac for development (not just HTML but programming too) should check out this program! There is a free 30 day demo - try it and see what I mean.These are the features I've been most impressed by so far.1. It has a drawer - for quick switching between open files.2. Code Folding - colapses tables or even whole blocks of code into a single line which makes navigation through a long document much, much easier!3. Clippings - to hold sections of code you use often.4. Markers - mark positions in your code so you can return to them quickly.5. Fast - It is fast at switching between documents, unlike Dreamweaver.There is so much more to this program too. Just scratched the surface!Thought I'd let everyone know.