xisto Community
BooZker

What's Patriotic What do you consider Patriotic?

What do you consider patriotic? To me it is someone who doesn't blindly follow the government. I see a patriotic person as someone who does something for the best interest of the people. I also believe fighting back against bad government and police states is patriotic. I do not think a criminal is a patriot, but someone who will fight for freedom and questions evil policies set by government. I am also not saying government is bad, but in some cases I believe a true patriot would stand up for a majority of the people. An example of what i am talking about is if our president said,"we are going to be starting the draft again" and someone or some people stood up and said NO we are not. That's a TRUE patriot. Someone who just does what is told is not a patriot and just a follower of someone else.Do not go and look on dictionary.com or some other dictionary. Try to think of what you think a patriot is.

ONE of the definitions that came in my mind as for now:a patriot is a person that when it reaches a powerful position (acquired through good means :) ), it will do more for his country, rather than for himself ....unfortunately, we don`t have such people here in Romania ...

Someone that raises from a struggling position, had many knock backs to rise to a high & powerful position (acquired through the proper channels and in good faith), and will do more for the country. But unfortunately in some cases, even those that may get the position in good faith may go on to be well "bad news", like the case is in Zimbabwe where "apparent" reverse racism is being done in the case of farmers.

Hmmm... well, I don't know if people would agree with me on this but I don't think you need to be a flag waver 24/7/365 to be a patriot. You should love your country but also be critical of it when you feel something isn't right. You don't need to support a chimp of a president and the abuse, rapes & murders of innocent humanbeings to be a patriot - to be a patriot you need to simply love your country... you don't need to blindly follow the government to do that.Does that make sense? LOL :lol:

Edited by Erin (see edit history)

America is caught in a time of great crisis. Never before has she faced such a menacing threat to the freedoms she upholds. Terrorists swarm around her on all sides, threatening with their evil plans. And yet there are many, inside America as well as out, who are actually rooting for the terrorists to win.
Perhaps you are one of these terrorist sympathizers. Or maybe you are a true American patriot. There is only one way to find out for sure, and that is to take this quiz. Answer HONESTLY, no deceiving, and at the end you will find out how much of a traitor you are. Good luck.

Notice from truefusion:

Bunlytek if there what test. I dont see anything. I dont, root for terrorists, but why would it matter if i did? Welcome Bunlytek!I think Erin has pretty close to the same views i have. I see your still sort of new Erin. Welcome!

Have to say someone that follows the country in major events (ie events of importance, such as Anzac day, etc), and to some other extent, major sporting events such as the Soccer World Cup, World Rugby, Olympics and other things is fairly patriotic. Its one of the times when political beliefs are pushed aside (well in most cases!).

Have to say someone that follows the country in major events (ie events of importance, such as Anzac day, etc), and to some other extent, major sporting events such as the Soccer World Cup, World Rugby, Olympics and other things is fairly patriotic. Its one of the times when political beliefs are pushed aside (well in most cases!).

I have a question, then.

I, for one, would probably be crucified by a lot of outspoken activists here in our country as an apathetic. I do not scream or squeal or jump around like an idiot when our boxer wins, when a billiards magician bags the bacon or when our beauty pageant contestant trips and, consequently, wins. I am much more coherent writing in English than in our own language. Political events hardly concerning me do not get the least bit of attention from me. I like watching foreign films more; it was quite rare that I actually have seen one of our own films. I haven't been to our own tourist spots because I hate traveling.

Does that mean I am not patriotic?

In my defense, I'd say I love my country, both the parts I have seen and the beauty that lies unseen. I don't have to go to some museum to view putrefying artifacts just to feel something stirring in my breast. I may go and work abroad but I'd be sending the money back home anyway. I do write in English a lot but I also have other poetic compositions written in our native tongue. Even some of the English works I have exalt my homeland.

I would be more than honored to die for my country but I'd prefer to live on, employing stealth and deceit, if necessary, to see her triumph against what holds her down. I may kill the really, REALLY, REALLY poor people, to end their sufferings but I also wouldn't squirm at committing genocide, if that will ensure the progress of my beloved nation. I may ignore or scoff at the ignorant, pathetic masses gathering in swarms around some landmark, protesting the most recent political issue, but it's more of scorn for their gullibility and malleability than for their living conditions, or the way they dress or speak. (One of the things I hate is an activist screaming for something she has only the faintest notion of)

You won't see me in rallies, barricades or picket lines. I won't even vote, given the chance. However, rest assured that I will build libraries, repair roads and assist my fellow citizens by giving employment, not money (like some politicians do)

So does an apathetic like me who is hardly involved in stereotyped "patriotic" activities fail, by definition, as a patriot? :lol:

You're patriotic if you want what's best for your country, whatever your viewpoint may be and at the same time you accept other countries' ideas. If you're a patriot then you might feel uncomfortable if you're country has lots of immigrants in it. Patriotism is in some ways a more subtle form of nationalism.

salamangkero wow. I am amazed on how much you wrote! Just a quick question though. So you wouldnt mind people killing people in genocide? You also hate protestors? I dont care and i dont live there i was just wondering it thats what you said.

salamangkero wow. I am amazed on how much you wrote! Just a quick question though. So you wouldn't mind people killing people in genocide? You also hate protestors? I dont care and i dont live there i was just wondering it thats what you said.

Hmmn, I am suddenly made aware that I have used some pretty strong words back there. By genocide, I meant mass murder. I think a quick peek at this forum thread will show how confused I am about the word genocide.

Anyway, back to business, I wouldn't mind the deaths of a million or so people if their elimination will prove to be beneficial to the country.

About protesters, I don't hate all of them. I personally know some activists who know very well what they're fighting for and I even admire them for the courage of their conviction. The type of protesters I do hate is everyone else.

See, it is a fact that in any massive rally held in my beloved country, there exist, in the crowd, the following types of people:

1. Activists who know what they're fighting for.

2. Activists who were fed propaganda, knowing only the "good" side of what they're fighting for while completely ignoring, or even not knowing, the disadvantages.

3. Spineless people who are simply paid to be there, to participate in a cause unknown to them, to chant mantras and slogans (In their defense, I'd say a lot of these people are impoverished and I suppose I should kill them to end their suffering and not because they're spineless dudes)

4. Media persons (I have nothing against them, most of the time)

5. Celebrities and politicians hoping to catch attention by joining the "people's cause"

6. Cam-whores who stick close to aforementioned celebrities/politicians, in hopes that a TV camera might focus on her face or that a news anchor might interview her.

Well, there are a lot more but it does really pain me whenever I see common housewives or even people from the province joining a cause they don't completely know.

I think a patriot is someone who loves this country, not necceisarily someone who always wears red white and blue, but someobdy who loves thir country and would die for it! So maybe im not considred patriotic, because i would have to think of about sacrifising myself from my country!