xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
shadowx

Beginner's Php Tutorial Online At My Site

Hey everyone, over the last week I've been writing a PHP tutorial aimed at absolute beginners who have never even seen the syntax of PHP before let alone wrote a PHP script!

The tutorial assumes you have a basic knowledge of HTML (for the tutorial you will need to write a couple of hyper links and forms, nothing complex!) and an internet browser. It tells you about where to find the other software needed (apache/XAMPP and a script.text editor) and how to check if it is working.

The tutorial is basic and focuses on the use of the ECHO, INCLUDE/REQUIRE and IF functions along with variables including GET and POST and at the end if all goes well you should have a very simple module system which you can use to build a website from (like the Xisto forums it uses GET variables to select the page content to display to the user and its how my website and lots of others work.) So Feel free to check it out if you're willing to learn (it wont take long to complete the tutorial, there's a lot of text but its only explaining what is about to be written and why) or if you;re just curios then check it out! Any feedback would be great :rolleyes:

the link is : http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Hope you enjoy :)

Notice from jlhaslip:
Edit Title spelling

Edited by jlhaslip (see edit history)

Nice job.I wish this had've been in place when I was first learning. I like the approach you have taken. Nice and easy introduction, but a whole lot of information and power in just those first few pages.I look forward to seeing more pages added soon.Biggest thing about the site is to have either a spell-checker and/or an editor of some sort look at the content prior to publishing. There are a few spelling or typo things I would change. Nothing major though.8.5 / 10 at least. (deduct 1 for the typos/spelling)

yes very good tutorial. i haven't read it all just now but it seems nice and easy for beginners.maybe you could write some code that connects PHP to MySQL database. Some script that can add a user, and maybe you could explain how we could create simpler apps that connects to MySQL and that lets user the option that everything that it does to site can be simply saved to database.of course that would lead to protecting databases in proper way, maybe with right editing of .htaccess file or similar. you have the power to write it simpler than some of the tutorials i've seen on internet so keep up the good tut's coming :)

I ran the text through a spell checker and i proof read it though i must admit i did it briefly, ill go through it again tomorrow after ive slept :) And i will probably write further tutorials and one of them will probably include the use of SQL and queries etc... all depends on what time i have though, damn exams!Thanks for the feedback :rolleyes: Ill sort the typos tmorrow

There we go, fixed all the typos i could find, and there were quite a lot! Also added in some info about double equals signs etc..thanks to jlhaslip for that :rolleyes:

you have the power to write it simpler than some of the tutorials i've seen on internet so keep up the good tut's coming

I was trying to make it as simple as i could yet still explain everything fully and as i know PHP it was hard to know if it was simple enough or not! Thanks :)

nice tutorial - as far as I`ve read (first few pages)- it throughly explains basic php...good point to start from..as a suggestion: build some kind of table of contents or navigation system through the pages, with the title of each "attached", so visitors can skip from a page to another with ease..good job nevertheless :)

I think the navigation table is a god idea, i just didnt want the large amounts of text to be squished but i think i know how i can add the navigation in and keep it fitting with the template like system, ill get to that tomorrow :) Thanks

Looks, from what I have read, like a very good tutorial.

However, one thing I am unsure about:

Well, PHP stands for Hypertext PreProcessor

I always though it stood for "PHP: Hypertext Preprocessor" *shrugs*

A navigation system would also be a very good idea :)

I always though it stood for "PHP: Hypertext Preprocessor" *shrugs*

Thats basically the same as what the tutorial says except i capitalized the second P for clarity!

I would have added the navigation by now except my coding machine died and the keyboard on this is rubbish so i cant add it! but ill try to when i can

Dear shadowx , Nice Job , its very nice website , its really good you write and share your tut about php , but here i can not find any tut
http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/
of sorry i find one tut here
http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/beginner_tut.php
its really good tut for Beginner
please contine this job

hi there!you've wrote a good and simple tutor, but, i've found a little error in your coding.on site 3 or 4<?echo "<HTML><HEAD><TITLE>Hello there!</HEAD><body>Hello there! How are you?</body></HTML>";?>the titletag is not closed ^^

Technicalities! thanks for pointing that out, i have a habit of missing closing tags in HTML, ill sort that out tomorrow because im too lazy tonight and procrastination is my life rule!Thanks for the feedback :lol: