xisto Community
Zero Ziat

Installing Mediawiki

So you want to have your own Wiki, huh?

It is not difficult and it will not require a lot of effort.

What you need:

A web server (Preferably Apache, also runs on IIS and lighttpd)

PHP plugin for Apache.

MySQL or PostGreSQL(However, MySQL is HIGHLY recommended!).

You can't install version 1.8.2 here on Xisto as you need PHP version 5.0 or later, and in T17 you have PHP version 4.4.4!

However, you can install it here with version 1.6.8!

On a side note, MediaWiki is the Wiki software used by Wikipedia, Uncyclopedia and others.

Let's get this started!

INSTALLING:

Download the files from: MediaWiki's homepage or download the Xisto supported version here. (Thanks gameratheart.)

Upload all the files to your web host with an FTP client (path here would usually be public_html/wiki)!

CHMOD the config subdirectory to 755. (If not working CHMOD it to 777)

You can either share a MySQL database or use a new one. (I'd use a new database as it would be easier to drop it when you want to uninstall your Wiki.)

Point your browser to the Wiki directory. The install script will help you there. Make sure you CHMODED correctly the "config" folder as stated before! (Step 3)

Uninstalling is eeeassssy...

UNINSTALLING:

Delete the MediaWiki directory.

Drop the MediaWiki MySQL database or all the MediaWiki tables.

What you think? Interesting. Managing your own Wiki may be difficult. So be sure of knowing what you will put in it. And what it will be about. I mean, don't install software because you can.

If you experience any problems with this guide, feel free to blame me and tell me what gone wrong.

Edited by Zero Ziat (see edit history)

Wikipedia is a very good site, I like the way it is possible for your site's users to update and add stuff to the site. However, you have to be careful they're not posting someone else's work/copyrighted work which you as a webmaster would get told off for.In the past, I've thought about creating a site based on one of the wiki scripts, but I thought wiki is well known everywhere, so your users will know you didn't actually create it. I prefer actually creating my own code so you can feel good about what it is you created.Anyway, a very nice tutorial. If I decide I want to have mediawiki or I suppose any wiki would have pretty much the same instructions, I will come back to this topic. Thanks for sharing it with us, I'm sure theres some people out there who've read this topic that wanted to have a script like mediawiki on their site, but didn't know how to install it.

Hmm, when I have time, i'll also try this out...right after i get my website unsuspended...It's not my fault getting it suspended, my modem was broken..back on topic:It has great design which is just like the others.Well, at least i get to bookmark that page and use it for FAQ.and then i won't need to have so much questions to my support email...

For those of you who want to get the last version Xisto supports up to now (or if Zero Ziat's links don't work for you), you can use this link to get the mirror list for it.

Umm...I already included the project's webpage in the tutorial. They can examine deeper what other versions they can download and get support. :) Anyways, I will link that in the tutorial.

Does anybody know how to bridge Mediawiki with SMF, without using the tutorial on the simplemachines.org website, which I don't understand? The bridges on the mediawiki website don't work either.All I want is to integrate the user info. I have had a look at Single Login Systems like JA-SIG, but I don't think I have the priveleges on the server to install them. I have MediaWiki 1.6.8 and SMF 1.1.1. Can somebody please help?

Edited by detportal (see edit history)