xisto Community
Matrixdudej

Should Suicide Be Legal?

Suicide  

55 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

If you commit suicide why would it matter if its legal or not? If your dead then noone can punish you for it right?Now assisted suicide is a whole different story, I believe that assisted suicide is absolutely retarded, anyone who "Assists" someone on killing themselves should go kill themselves as well because they are worthless and meaningless to the world.

yes, illegal. And if convicted, Life in Prison. Which will usually be an improvement from the situation which caused the attempt anyway.Seriously, no. A suicide attempt should be considered a cry for help. Unfortunately, those who fail at their attempts are the only ones that get the assistance they need. Suicide is a long-term solution to a short-term problem, most of them are solvable, too.

yes, illegal. And if convicted, Life in Prison. Which will usually be an improvement from the situation which caused the attempt anyway.
Seriously, no. A suicide attempt should be considered a cry for help. Unfortunately, those who fail at their attempts are the only ones that get the assistance they need. Suicide is a long-term solution to a short-term problem, most of them are solvable, too.

Exactly. People that try to commit suicide obviously don't like their life and don't feel they should have one but if they have one then they were meant to have one. That's the way I look at it. Just because you are down or are having problems doesn't mean you can run away from them. There are people out there that care for you even if it doesn't seem like it. Running away from a problem won't solve it and I'm sure you'll still have that problem even after you die, wherever you go. (not gonna bring in any beliefs)

If you commit suicide why would it matter if its legal or not? If your dead then noone can punish you for it right?
Now assisted suicide is a whole different story, I believe that assisted suicide is absolutely retarded, anyone who "Assists" someone on killing themselves should go kill themselves as well because they are worthless and meaningless to the world.

i guess i should have been more specific if your caught trying to commit suicide

suicide is selfish and immoral. Granted there are plenty of people who are less fortunate than I am and It's very hard it imagine their situation, but whatever it is, it's bearable.There is no way to punish people other than arresting people who have attempted suicide, but failed. However those people need to go into a psych ward a not a prison.

I'd have to say it should be, but only under certain cercumstances.Lets say, someone is depressed, and thinks they have nothing to live for, so they'd rather just end it all now, because they feel there is no point to living.For something like this, I'd think that they should get some help, and find that there really is a life out there for them. I truly feel that people can get over depression if they have the right support.Okay, senario two. A person is gravely ill, and in a tremendous amount of pain every waking second of the day, and it's only going to get worse until the day they die. They might even end up getting severly disfigured, or lose their ability to think.Under a situation like this, I really feel that it should be up to the person who is facing the illness. If they are aware of their options, and they choose that they'd rather feel nothing, that die in a horrible slow way, then I think that is their right.But I think that people should also have hope that treatments will become available, and that something (call it a miracle or what have you) might happen unexpectedly to make you well again. But I'm not in this situation, so I can not judge people that would rather stop their horrible suffering that they are experiancing.As for the whole legalities of it... I don't think anyone that commits (or I suppose attempts, because if they succeed, prison is no longer a viable option) suicide should be sent to prison. They are in serious need of help. Obviously there is something wrong with them, and they need help to work through that, so they don't feel the need to try it again.Throwing a person that failed in their attempt at suicide, is definately not helping the person, and will most likely just lead to another attempt - one at which they may succeed.So that's my look at things. Illegal... only if the worst punishment is getting the person in question some serious help. Jail time... no way.

I have an answer. I do not believe in a high being or a god of any type, so i look at this from another stand point. My opinion on this is it is his body. He can choose. What, in America, can you do to your own body that's illegal? No, we can't expose ourselves, but in the privacy of our own homes what can we not do? Nothing, but suicide, and drugs, but that is another story.You also said however that it hurts other people? Think about very anti-gay families when there parents tell them that? What about when you say something very mean to them. What if you were to get in an argument and never talk to them again? These all hurt people, but these were all peoples own choices. Would you tell a gay person not to be gay because it will hurt his or her parents? These are just my opinions. What do you think of them.

This is a bit of a double sides subject, there are multiple aspects to take caution of when talking about this..1) Why does someone want to commit suicide, is it because of bad relationships, mental or physical illness or some other reason? Sometimes you can get helped to get over your issues and live a normal life...2) How does a person commit suicide, this might sound pretty rude, but when someone commits suicide it should be done in such a way that you don't hurt innocent people (dont confuse this with a terrorist flying a airplane in the World Trade Center). Here in the Netherlands mature people from 18 years and older can choose to end their life, but they are not allowed to do it theirselves.3) Does the person give his family a bad name by commiting suicide? Sometimes if a member of a family commits suicide the entire family will be blackmailed, while the family is probably already hurt because of the family ember commiting suicidethere are many other things to take under consideration, whether suicide is allowed or not is a question of "standards and values" (rough translation from dutch)

I am against suicide and would try to help anyone who is thinking about it, by giving advice. But, you can't punish someone. I think that's up to God or whoever you believe in to decide because they'll be dead. I hope people will stop killing themselves :P

This is a topic morbidly close to my heart and the replies to it have touched on a heartstring or two.

suicide is selfish and immoral.

It is selfish, yes, as I'm sure a person on the brink of self-destruction is aware of. However, I doubt that person will care the least bit about society's morals.

Granted there are plenty of people who are less fortunate than I am and It's very hard it imagine their situation, but whatever it is, it's bearable.

Pardon my sarcasm but it does seem ambivalent to 1) admit a suicidal person's condition must be unimaginable and 2) generalize that "whatever it is, it's bearable"
Let's see, how bearable is it to be rejected by friends and family because of your sexuality? How bearable is doubling over in pain regularly because of an illness that has no cure? How bearable is it to curl up in hunger because you haven't the money to buy food, much less, put a roof over your head? How bearable is it to have been raped, humiliated and now, shunned by the entire community? How bearable is it to live through the stigma of having AIDS you know you got from a careless transfusion when people around you mumble and whisper words like *BLEEP*, **** or, for the more genteel of you, sexually promiscuous?

The world is a big scary place and just because some people can't see the horrors it is capable of doesn't mean those horrors do not exist to haunt people elsewhere. Really, it is quite insensitive to say, "whatever it is, it's bearable" It is as inhumane as a doctor saying, "Shush! That's nothing!" to a patient with broken ribs.

I have one more idea, instead of destroying your body, sell it to some hospital. Part by part, slowly.....
Sorry for such a cruel thinks.

It ain't that cruel. I think it is only sensible, from a humanitarian POV. I mean, instead of burning you body to ashes or feeding your body to worms, which in my opinion is so much better in that it nurtures life other than that of another human's, why not just donate it to someone who needs it more than you do? It's true; when you're dead, every other person needs your organs more than you. :P

No because if your allowed to kill yourself at 18 then maybe an 18 will do so while his parents would not want him to do something as horrid as that. THink bout dis.... if you were able to commit suicide then many people who do it and hurt someone else maybe smebodu that they rlated to, so no it should not be legal at all and shoud never be thinked of that!