xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
OpaQue

Data Can Be Stored On Paper Store GBs of electronic data on Paper

This just seems wierd. Paper...I don't understand how the data gets to the paper...I must read more into this. Seems like a good dea, but aren't we trying to go all electronic? Atleast that's what my school is trying to do, lol.
And what if your dog eats it?

I thought the dog theory was ruled out.

I think this is amazing. All you have to do is keep the paper safe like in a briefcase or something and you can hold tons of info.

The inventor is using weird, yet innovative technique there (by using shapes and colors).

Nevertheless, I know another technique that makes this data storage on paper possible. It's about ORGANIC ELECTRONICS -> PRINTED electronics. I am myself currently studying in electronics area. With selected organic material, one can make a conductive, capacitive, or inductive line depends on the geometry printed and properties of the material itself. So this makes it possible for electronics circuit on the paper, plastic, etc. Flip-flops or latches (the basic of memory) can then be built. Not only data storage, you perhaps ever heard about flexible display. click here.

Another thing is wouldn't these paper data storage sheets be susceptable to ripping, wrinkling, or wearing, as normal sheets of paper are, and as someone already said, what about spills or dropping it in water?

This may or may not be true. but by good packaging method (wrapping the module by protective plastic), although it is dropped to water there will be no problem. it won't be easily torn as well.
-day

hey guys what if this 'data' is stored as a jpeg file?i dun care about it in paper but if a A4 jpeg image file can store 450GB, isnt that the mother of all file compression?i dont really know how big is an A4 jpg or even sizes any other image compression, but i think an A4 file would only need 10mb right?

Edited by styfer (see edit history)

Its a really cool Idea. I started to feel bad about all the paper I have thrown when I read the article. I cant imagine how its going to be like when that technology starts being used for anything. Imagine a paper thing Ipod and hard drives, that would really make things ultra portable.

Every thing is becoming portable. And in few years all the gadgets of bond films would be used by us too.The idea is good and with some improvement it can be used commercially.

If you put a deep scratch in a cd it's ruined. So what happens if your paper gets torn or wrinkled a little? I still can't see how it's phyisically possible to store more data on a piece of paper than a dvd.

Sounds too good to be true, but although storing data on paper has excisted for years already, making the computer able to retrieve data from paper seems a lot harder to accomplish. But paper is not really a strong media, it is easily torn apart, burned etc.. (This might be a good thing considering privacy as well however). I dont see us all working with papersheets as computer data or hard drive in the future.. but who knowns? This guy is a genius by the way!

This is a great idea. I for one have never heard of it. I can't really understand how you can store a movie on a piece of paper in geometric shapes? Could anyone explain that...Other then that... if this is possible it may replace DVD's, even the expensive Blue-Rays. Still 90GB is a huge amount of data, more then many computers have today on their HDD. Well I don't think it is going to be cheap, at least at the beginning. I hope this hits the market very soon...

hehe, i heard about this a wee while ago. Only problem i could see is data corruption! neat idea but too easy for the data to be lost, could be use on different materials though that could stand up to more wear and tear using the same technique

Someone presented this in our ITGS class. But a problem I see is... what happens if you rip the paper by accident? It's like using a glass harddrive... so dangerous!

Its a great ideaI have seen this guy who invented this in a seminarHe explained everything correctly except th encoding and codingHe using rainbow technologyHe is converting files into picture .This picture cn be printed on a paper And it can be again converted into file by decordingIt was amazing experience to attend his seminar-reply by soby

And what about something like lamination paper? clear and durable, or better yet laminate the paper... like the cd skins