xisto Community
shibo

Chat Use Java Applet

As far as I know, Ajax works great, but if the user turns JavaScript off, it will not work. If I were you, I would use Java.(Try searching with google for a java chatbox.)

I'm kind of new to Java, so this is probably a stupid question: does Java work with mySQL databases? If it does, that would be great! The only thing I've made so far is a little thing that says "Hello World!" and follows your mouse around. I've just been looking at tutorials.If it doesn't work with mySQL, then how is it supposed to store the messages and show them to everyone that's on the page?

I'm kind of new to Java, so this is probably a stupid question: does Java work with mySQL databases? If it does, that would be great! The only thing I've made so far is a little thing that says "Hello World!" and follows your mouse around. I've just been looking at tutorials.
If it doesn't work with mySQL, then how is it supposed to store the messages and show them to everyone that's on the page?

OK firstly I think that he is refering here to real time chat and not forum. And if you are about to write forum then I don't see the way to do it actually you can do it but I think it would be server time consuming.

ALso Good luck with java it is awesome programming language you'll experience soon its power as you learn more. And yes Java does work with sql. It has its own set of drivers called JDBC (Java data base communication of something similar) and it then connects to the any sql base ower the ODBC this is Microsoft standard which is widely accepted.

yeah... i too support that java is way slower than ajax and javascripts. ajax and javascripts they load faster. i think it gives much more flexibility than java.why is this world still hanging on to java for many purposes, i cant understand! its such a disgusting language. i hate it.

using java applets is no doubt the best option out there.. but, u people might already be aware.. that its SLOW..a chat should be fast.. client should not be kept waiting for a long time..i recommend.. you use ajax along with jsp.. though, ajax wont work if javascript is disabled.. but, its a rarity these days..and if you want a more permanent solution.. its Adobe Flex.. and its the best option out there.. you can check a client based on flex at webmessenger.yahoo.com and a cleint based on ajax at meebo.com..