xisto Community
NigaiAmaiYume

Purple Fairy Sig

Well, I fell in love with the purple fairy render from over here, so I thought I'd see what I could do with it. Being how it's my second sig, I figured there would be no competition with Bkag's for hotchick2121. ^-^

Version 0.8:

Posted Image

I need to figure out how to make the text easier to read - I love the font (Dobkin, downloadable from various sites), but it's not easy to work with. LOL Let alone in GIMP, which is what I'm working with. :)

It also needs a border - I'll add that last.

Just getting this up now in the hopes someone will be able to help me balance my text, since Shout lost to Football. ^-^

Oooh, that sig is definetly of the prettiness... The font is the one trouble, as you said... Maybe bolden it? I'm not sure how that would look though... And I myself have never used GIMP, although I have it on almost every Linux distribution I have and actively use. I've got Macromedia Adobe Fireworks :rolleyes: Anywayz, good work :)

That's very nice! Good job there!I'm curious to know what the text says, it doesn't seem to be too clear for me. (like litterally, as in, I can't read the text because it's blurry)I also like your current sig! Perhaps you could make some tutorials on brushing?

Perhaps adding a 1 pixel stroke around the text in black would make it a bit easier to read? I don't think it's that easy to do though in GIMP. You have to get a selection of the text, expand it by 1 or 2 pixels, create a new layer, fill the selection with black and put it behind the text. I can't remember how well it works, but you could give it a try.There are some quite thin parts to the font, so making it bold might help, or it might just make it even more unreadable :)

I agree with what others have said :rolleyes: if you want to bulk up the text abit, have the text layer actively selected, then go to filters>distorts>value propagate and set that to more opaque. To then add a boarder around the text select the text layer again, using the wand tool (in photoshope i would use load selection but looking at gimp it doesn't have that) then go to Edit>stroke selection and try it with a 1 or 2 pixel stroke :)

Edited by Bkag (see edit history)

The sig in my signature block was done by Truefusion, as said therein. ^-^

No brushwork involved in this sig... The background is a bit of the wing, stretched, blurred, then sharpened, with a VERY light lens flair to lightned up the area behind the text.

And GIMP won't let me make the font bold. :) I've tried stroking, it just looks... Bizzare. Don't know what GIMP's doing....

Posted Image

If anyone can make the text READABLE, feel free to mess with these...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Text:

I promised to be good...

I never said

I would play nice.

NigaiAmaiYume

I was able to see the I promised to be good, never said I would play nice, couldn't tell what the bottom was, I like the text though, :) I reminds me of a friend of mine I haven't seen in ages, she was like that, sorta, made me laugh alot.I like the blur of the effect to the right of the render, makes it looks like its flying, sorta.

I really do like what you've done with that so far. The background I think matches perfectly with the image... which you right, is a splendid picture. I happen to be rather fond of it myself lol...The font, yes, it is very nice... my only real complaint about it, is the ~ sign infront of your name. Perhaps if you could use a different font for that that might match a little better. Right now, it's rather bold and large and seems to draw my eye there unintentionally.Anyway, great work! Keep it up!

If anyone can make the text READABLE, feel free to mess with these...

Is this something like what you were looking for? I also added a white border at 85% opacity.

Posted Image

I also think there?s too much text... sometimes you can?t have everything... a large phrase and a clearly readable :) But the Avalon solution looks beautiful I think, well contrasted, there?s absolutely no problem in reading it. I would try to do the text smaller, until it begins to result unreadable, because I think it takes too much space in the whole of the sig.

Avalon that really did the trick, but that (for me) takes the focal point off the render and onto the text, the first thing i looked at was the text, then the render. Sprn made a good suggestion, just keep getting smaller and smaller untill it is almost unreadable :)

*giggles at everyone complaining about the text*I'm a writer - for me, the render is SUPPOSED to be secondary to the quote! ^-^Sure, no one else likes that, but it's my sig, so my rules. :)Thanks, Avalon, for the text upgrade... How do you do that? Just a feature in Photoshop I don't have in my poor GIMP 2? LOLI've got a few more ideas of what to do with it before it's done (including *gasp!* brushwork! LOL), but I'll work on those when I'm not so tired.

I agree with Bkag. You could try more of a glow and having the text without the 1px purple stroke. Then you might be able to get away with it being smaller text.You are right about it been your sig and your rules though. Some of my work has been done on that basis or just what people wanted.