xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
The69_er

Unbelievable This is wrong

A MEMORIAL to honour the late Steve Irwin at the outback town he used as his retreat from the world has been knocked back by a local council.

The mayor of the south-west Queensland town of St George, Robert Buchan, had submitted a plan to build a small memorial to the Crocodile Hunter by the town's Balonne River, near where the Irwin family owns a large property.

It was to consist of a bust, a brief outline of his life and his contribution to the area, and was approved by the Irwin family.

Mr Buchan said he had hoped the idea would have been the beginning of a series of memorials along the river to honour St George's "favourite sons and daughters" along the lines of an avenue of heroes.

It would have been "a shining example of what people can do if they get off their backsides and do something", he said.

But after rejecting a memorial in September, Balonne Shire Council has just knocked back a second proposal for a memorial, which Mr Buchan would have funded himself.

"Steve Irwin, I believe, would be the most well-known Australian ever... (and) was ridgy didge as we say, fair dinkum, and even that alone was worthy of recognition," Mr Buchan said today.

He said he was ashamed the idea had been knocked back.

Deputy mayor Richard Knights said the idea itself to commemorate Mr Irwin had been knocked back, not the specific proposal.

He said while council was aware of Mr Irwin's contributions and were supportive of state government-planned memorials, a local monument was not appropriate.

"He had property in the area but I think a lot of it stems from the fact that we haven't really gone down the pathway of recognising other local people that have made significant contributions to the shire over a lifetime," Mr Knights said.

"As to whether one person's more worthy than another person, it's not something we've dealt with yet."

He said there was a possibility that something would be done on a broad scale to recognise a host of people who had contributed to the shire, of which Mr Irwin could be a part, but the idea had not yet been discussed.

Mr Irwin, 44, died on September 4 after being stabbed in the heart by a stingray's barb while diving on the Great Barrier Reef.

I find this outragus how the council knocked back a memorial that would be self fundered For Steve Irwin and i would like to know what you all think pleas post your replys cause this just discusted me.

I think knocking it back is stupid. It does no harm to anyone and they say that its unfair or something to other people who haven't got memorials for their commitment...well if we went along the lines of its not fair because its the first what would happen! We wouldn't get anything done! Maybe they will start a petition about it or something.

I agree totally he was an australian idol he deserves to be reconised for the things he did in australia and other countries he helped keep our widlife safe from human persitors and was a national icon and deserves alot of respect for his work in the world.If there wver was a petition i know i would be signing it i might evan start a email petetion or a webside petition for the true austrialian hero.

Edited by The69_er (see edit history)

"He had property in the area but I think a lot of it stems from the fact that we haven't really gone down the pathway of recognizing other local people that have made significant contributions to the shire over a lifetime," Mr Knights said.

Although I agree they should build one, however if you read it a bit closer that line alone says why they are waiting. Due to the fact that the council believes that if they start this then everyone will start making claims on their contributions and in a way making a bigger mess and in a way effect money, especially taxes to cover the costs of making memorials for everyone. Eventually they will build it but they have to prepare for something they haven't done yet.

Although I agree they should build one, however if you read it a bit closer that line alone says why they are waiting. Due to the fact that the council believes that if they start this then everyone will start making claims on their contributions and in a way making a bigger mess and in a way effect money, especially taxes to cover the costs of making memorials for everyone. Eventually they will build it but they have to prepare for something they haven't done yet.

Exactly what I was thinking. They probably should build a memorial for Steve Irwin but then if someone dies and wants memorials for them and the government denies it people might start suing or whatever and cause problems because they made one for Steve Irwin. I'm sure soon enough they will start the process of building one. I don't know if they should make a series but maybe just one big one. Otherwise you'll also get the line... "Why can't my friend have a memorial, Steve Irwin has like 8."

Your right that is unbielevable. I mean he rocks he is the Crocodile Hunter. Or was. I mean he has helped with the enviorment and deserves respect.

Steve Irwin was a true Australian hero and wildlife conservationist. He definately deserves a memorial as it was him only because of whom millions of people around the world became aware of the beauty of wild life and what all hazards it is facing these days. It is a matter of shame for the people who think otherwise though I personally think after having read the details that a decent memorial might be underway. I also think that a few national parks should also be named after him to honour him.

Yes, Steve Irwin did a lot to help raise awareness of wildlife conservation. But don't forget something else, he also made a lot of money from doing so. I know he put a lot of it back in to wildlife conservation, but in the end he was a successful business man as well as a wildlife conservationist. There are many that have also done a lot to raise awareness of wildlife conservation and many other great things, they have not been recognised with a monument. Personally I think the council has made the correct decision, if we were to erect a monument for Steve Irwin, where would it end? Next we would be raising a monument for Ronald McDonald because of 'his' houses for families of sick children. Do you think that deserves a monument too? And besides, Steve Irwin already has a monument, it's called Australia Zoo.Let's face it, if not for the power of television, would you know or even care who Steve Irwin was, or what he did?