xisto Community
matak

"subhosting" - For A Friend Of Mine

I have a friend who is also new to webdesign, and wants to learn it. But finding good hosting which supports php and mysql is hard thing to do. Since i have premium hosting on Xisto i wanted to put his website on my hosting like matak.trap17.com/hisname.can i add ftp access for him but that he can access only that folder and not any other folders on my hosting? or do i have to modify his site...

Yes. You have two options:1) you can just create a folder "hisname" and grant FTP access with its own login and password just for that folder.2) you can create a sub-domain, i.e. hisname.matak.trap17, and grant FTP access with its own login and password. Both of above method will create a folder called "hisname." The difference between is the way URL is written--matak.trap17/hisname or hisname.matak.trap17. Sub-domain will also work as matak.trap17/hisname. The choice is yours. Some people prefer to have their own sub-domains instead of matak.trap17/hisname.Additional information regarding FTP access:You can also limite the usage space by limiting or unlimiting the space allocation. All this is found under your cPanel. If any question regarding the usage of your cPanel, please look through our Tutorial section--one of our members has written a comprehensive look into our cPanel terms and functions.

BuffaloHELP posted the exact method I was about to suggest two minutes before me. Kudos to you, BH. I use this exact same method on my own site, to host what you could say is an affiliate site of mine that my friend runs.I should warn you, however - Anyone who gets the FTP information will be able to have full access to anything in the folder you allow them to see, including all subfolders, so don't put anything of yours in his area, just in case he accidentially deletes it.

Edited by gameratheart (see edit history)