xisto Community
Hiaito

Javascript

I've lately outlined myself and found out that i'm very well rounded in PHP/SQL, HTML/XHTML, XML, and Perl. No C/C++, Java, nor Javascript. So. I thought about it, if I can do all of the server side scripting and such, I need to learn Javascript. Currently, I can do a thing with javascript. I don't even know the basics of it. I only feeds of other's scripts thats posted in libraries amonst the net. But lemme get down to the point. This is a plea for help. Does anyone know of a good, effective Javascript tutorial except WCSchools? Perhaps a place you learned? If someone could help me out, i'd be really grateful. :)

Well if you search the web, you'll find that there are a lot of sites that can give you basic JavaScript help.

I learnt a few of the basics using this really wierd HTML Help Webpage, Funky Chickens. Their JavaScript page can be found here. The "Name Asking Popup" code they give is wrong, but everything else works.

Hope I have helped.

Edited by gameratheart (see edit history)

To be frank, I never really studied Javascript on a standalone basis, it is through my knowledge with Java where I crept into Javascript, it is not really that difficult, you just need to know the methods and call them appropriately, you can take examples from the web and learn that way. Most of the logic you see, the marquee, all these can be coded in Java and I would probably not need to know javascript to be able to actually do a marquee in Javascript.

To be frank, I never really studied Javascript on a standalone basis, it is through my knowledge with Java where I crept into Javascript, it is not really that difficult, you just need to know the methods and call them appropriately, you can take examples from the web and learn that way. Most of the logic you see, the marquee, all these can be coded in Java and I would probably not need to know javascript to be able to actually do a marquee in Javascript.

A marquee is super simple...

<marquee>TEXT</marquee>

Well, all depending on what type of marquee. :)

first of all, <marquee> is a proprietary tag...it will invalidate your document and won`t work in other browsers than Internet Explorer..

then: don`t confuse Java for java script:
definitions for:
javascript
java (beside all those definitions regarding coffee names :) )

Edited by hts (see edit history)