xisto Community
BooZker

Mac Os X Shell How do I Change it?

I know how to change the default shell on a Windows OS. In case you do not know what i an talking about look at the attached file. That is not a Vista system i have just changed the shell to look like a Vista shell. How do i do this with a Mac? Every time i look it up on Google i come across the Shell program/application. I don't want to make it look like Windows Vista, but i would like to know how and where to change it. If you want to know how to change your windows shell PM me, but that is not why i made this topic although people always ask me on other forums when i asked about this haha.

I have never seen something like this done on the mac. I have worked with people who are designers and like them a lot, and they dont ever look like they would be interested in doing something like this. I have an alienware skin installed that I downloaded from their webpage. It looks really cool. Is the shell the same thing as skinning the operating system?

Flakes, if i am not mistaken, yes, skinning the OS is the same as changing the shell. I am actually a graphic designer, actually in college getting a degree for it, and that is why i got a mac. I was just wondering if i could somehow make some mods to it!

There is a VERY big difference between a theme and a shell on Macs. Okay, remember, OSX is UNIX. A shell on a mac, or any other Unix machine, is how you access the command line (DOS/command prompt like interface)

The default Shell for Unix is something called BASH. There are a few other "Shell's" one can set up and use as the command line interface. I tend to stick with BASH but others like tcsh and others.

For more information please consult wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unix_shell

The term you are looking for is "Theme" or "Desktop Theme". Don't want to nitpick, but I came in this thread expecting to help someone switch their shell from bash to tsch or some other Unix Shell.

Sorry i didn't even know it wasn't called a Shell on Macs. I knew they were UNIX, but it didnt even cross my mind. Thanks for the link, but i already knew that the shell was the "command prompt" on a Mac. I said that in the first post.

Edited by BooZker (see edit history)

"Shell"Mac Os X Shell

Replying to blendergalacticaActually, a shell is any piece of software that allows the user to interface with the machine. Yes, a command shell would be a textual command line interface, but a graphical shell allows interfacing within a virtual visual space.

-reply by Harmon