xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
prix

Learn To Fly Flight Simulator X acts as a potential teaching tool for wannabe pilot

The biggest difference between a video game and a simulator? Realism. Video games are meant to entertain, after all. Simulators, on the other hand, are usually educational tools.

Posted Image

A few games, however, manage to do a bit of both. Flight Simulator X is a good example: it’s not only fun, you just might learn something.

The vast scope of this Microsoft game will overwhelm at first, especially if you’ve never played a flight simulator before.

This latest version in the venerable 25-year-old franchise packs a dizzying array of features: there are more aircraft, more airports and more options than ever before.

Beyond the included aircraft, there’s a growing online universe of additional planes and scenery available for download.

The sheer number of airports alone

– more than 24,000 worldwide

– means you can fly over your neighborhood or some faraway locale with equal ease.

Before you get airborne, there’s an important caveat: Flight Simulator X isn’t easy. There’s an excellent series of tutorials to help get you off the ground (and just as importantly, back down again). But it’s still going to take lots of trial and error to get the hang of things.

This is one case where a keyboard or a mouse doesn’t cut it for controls. If you really want to enjoy this game’s more advanced features, you’ll want to invest in a flight stick, which can be very expensive.

This potentially pricey piece of equipment can make the sensation of flight much better, it’s worth the investment

long-term.

There are several modes. Free flight mode is just that: pick an aircraft, an airport and other options such as weather, season and time of day, and you’re off in a few minutes.

Special mission modes present some interesting scenarios such as one where you have to land on a moving truck – definitely something for pro pilots only.

In another tricky scenario, I took a Cessna up to 5,000 feet then tried to fly around with the engine turned off.Posted Image

Graphically, this is as real as it gets. There’s a high level of detail in every location, down to individual plants, moving highway traffic and weather systems.

The trade-off for all this realism is a massive performance hit. This game will likely tax any computer system: I tested it on a computer specially built for gaming. Even then, the frame rate often slowed down.

You’ll have to turn off quite a few visual features to get acceptable performance on most home computers.

But when you have a game this packed with features and options, what do you expect? No other title on the market can match the depth of options or the sensation of flight like Flight Simulator X.

Notice from saint-michael:
copied and pasted here: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/. Warning giving.

I downloaded the trial for Flight Simulator X and at first could just spin in circles on the ground. I eventually got up in the air and messed around for a bit but it was rather complicated. I didn't have the tutorials to help me learn though so I backed down and got rid of it. I didn't have the proper computer for it either. On the other hand I think it would be a great game to play once you get the hang of it. I love to fly in planes and would like to get my pilots license.

Wouldnt it be awesome if you were in a situation in which you had to pilot a plane because something happens to a pilot, and thanks to a simulator game you played sometime you could sort of fly it to safety? I wonder how real a simulator game can be.

I would think flight simulators would be fun if you can have the feeling of actually being flown, like tilting, shaking etc.But flying a real plane would be even funner!

Do you think anyone would ever use one of these as a training tool for a pilot? I read about a guy who spent like $100,000 one equipment, etc to make this as real as possible. Obviously, they'd have to do something like that too. I doubt they's just use the computer version.

I have seen a lot of things like this! ( Well actually heard not seen ) There was also something on T.v. Talking about a simulator for the worlds fasted Jet.

hii,somebody can tell me how i must use the CDI AND HDG??

Learn To Fly

Hi people,I wanna said that I love this game,is soo real,I wanna be a pilot,is my dream,and always I'm studying on internet about landings and take offs,but some things I cant undertand like ILS,when I must put the frecuency in the LOC,I don't know how to use the CDI and HDG,COURSE,and whn de tower in IFR,said turn on 060 to the right and pull up 10000ft,what I must put on the display HDG,ON DEGREES,if somebody can expalin me is great,my mail is sebacapo48@hotmail.Com..Good luck for everyone.

-reply by sebastian

I love Flight Simulator X! Even though I'm horrible at it. It's the best flight simulator I've ever played. And it's the most realistic. Even though the controls are a bit complicated it's still very fun to play. As long as you know the basics you should be okay. Plus theirs tutorials there to help you learn how to fly. I like how they have a bunch of challenging mission to play. (I normally fail at those :D ) I usually just like to fly around, mess around, crash... etc.Some bad things are I thought the game didn't come with alot of planes to fly, I think you can download new ones on the internet somewhere. (Not sure where) That's just a minor downside. Another thing is you need a fast computer. The game itself is around 13GB I think.Gameplay is very smooth and realistic, the graphics are very life like, you really get the feeling of flying. Overall Flight Simulator X is an excellent game. I hope their are more to follow in the future that are even better than the previous.

help me arrange a simulator

Learn To Fly

Replying to prix, hi, I have just finished my basic helicopter flying course and am interested in learning further on home pc. I intend to start with microsoft simulator but am confused about the joystick. I request if you could help me out with that one. How else can I create a further more realistic environment

Yhnx

Pawan

-reply by PAWAN

improving simlation

Learn To Fly

Replying to ArmenianPilot

Hi, I was hoping you could help me select the best available joystick for microsoft simulator. I heard of a microsoft sidewinder precesion. Would you have a better option.

Thnx

Pawan

-reply by Pawan

I have got Flight Simulator X and it is absolutely brilliant. The good thing about it is that you can download and install additional aircraft for the game, and when you use a Joystick/Yoke system it really increases the realitly of the game.

The game is fun but Microsoft should create a gaming device like similar to airplane controls so it would be awesome~!! Plus if you have surround sound system speakers, it would be realistic......