xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
popac

Mp3 And Avi What software do you use...

I am useing xmms (X Multimedia System) for sound and MPlayer for Films... :( Of course bouth are Free software made by open source comunity :(

xmms and mplayer sometimes also mp3blaster when I am in consolle only :(I cant speak for windows since I dont have this software on it, the only thing I have installed on (my stripped) windows is 1 single game, but in the days I ussed windows allot I worked with winamp 2.x and bsplayer.The reason I use xmms is that there are many pluggins for it and it feels steady to me, I know that there a better and cleaner players but I like xmms (much like winamp 2.x on windows) and even after trying a fewe others I always came back to it.

Pity that you wrote about software for Linux (i mean xmms). The problem is that for some time now i've been seeking for a good player for playing my favourite mp3 player, and there are problems.

And as for Windows. I'm looking for a application that would let me have multiple playlists reachable in at most 2 clicks. And what i found:

- Winamp 3 -

Pros: has multiple playlists, they are reached easily, plays well, has good, working functions (repeat, shuffle, crossfade)

Cons: producers say it has many leaks, and suggest swithing to Winamp 5, and Winamp 5 lost the functions of holding multiple playlists at hand

- Windows Media Player 10 -

Pros: multiple playlists, in minimized mode has all functionality one might need, nice look

Cons: creation of playlists is... somewhat tricky, consumes a lot of processor power when minimizing/restoring, makes the taskbar grow heigher in XP when in old windows style

- Foobar 2000 -

Pros: multiple playlists, neet plugins (realy! especialy 'scheduler'), advanced functions of choosing another file to play

Cons: bugs, bugs, bugs... at least i met with lots of them! Plus - hard to control volume (and on my laptop it's a flaw)

And finaly what i stayed with:

- iTunes -

Pros: multiple playlists easyli created, advanced playlists made by filtering the Library, nice look, customizable

Cons: ...it's really looking for something in nothing - the shuffle sometimes works oddyli (sometimes it sorts, sometimes not).

And as for the avi player i chose Subedit Player - many nice features, even for someone that don't use subtitles (i don't!).

Hope this will be helpful for someone on the worser OS (meaning Windows) :(

Pity that you wrote about software for Linux (i mean xmms)...........

Could be the question ask was " what do you use?" so I answer what I use.
That it is *nix software is something I cant help. when I am 99% of the time in *nix

Winamp 5, windows media player 10 and real player 10 are what you need to have on ur pc. These have and play the most common types of codecs used on the net..... You should also have divx... a word of advice, download nimo codec pack 5

(snip)

- Winamp 3 -

Pros: has multiple playlists, they are reached easily, plays well, has good, working functions (repeat, shuffle, crossfade)

Cons: producers say it has many leaks, and suggest swithing to Winamp 5, and Winamp 5 lost the functions of holding multiple playlists at hand

(snip)

Personally, I'd stick with WinAmp 2.91 (which is what I use)...it has dockable windows, double click and they shrink to tiny windows (very useful) plus a good playlist and it's controllable easily via ZXCVB (play controls) and up down left right (volume up/down and jump back/forward in video)...something few programs have :-)

Xmms is one of greatest and most wildly used linux programs for music, I who don't have windows like xmms very much, xmms, mplayer and gimp are programs that I dont like, I love them :(

I Use Win XpAnd I Use Windows Media Player 10 for View and Listen Mp3 Or Show or multi Media FilesI dont Like To use Other For This workWindows Media Player 10 is very niceplz test itI Think winamp 5.5 Is not Bad :(

I use Winamp 5 for MP3's, and BSPlayer and MicroDVD for all movies... I hate Media Player, in any version :(And, I am working on my own mp3/video player :(

I use Foobar as MP3 player.For avi, Xvid, or Divx, I prefer Media Player 6.4, with lot's of plugins .It's the most stable version.

I hate Win. Media Player. I hate anuthing what starts with win... Just kiding, media player don't like serbian subtitles on DiVX so when I was on windows I was useing MV2 player and Vplater, but now Mplayer is much better of them all + it have mencoder for mozie encoding, you can wach tv etc. MPLAYER is the :D

I usually use windows media player but the lincence thing for wmv files get annoying after awhileReal player just tries to get you to spend money and slows down your computer to much.Other things dont just work as well and cause prblems with codecs and crash a lot.My fave out of all of them is media player classic but it doesn't work on my comp.

I use XMMS for my MP3, KsCD for listening to my CDs. I use both KPlayer (using MPlayer backend) and Kaffeine (using Xine backend) and I always set the audio codec to aRts for it's realtime audio.xboxrulz

For Win XP:

I use RealPlayer v10 to listen to Trance streamed from SHOUTcast(which is what I listen most of the time)

For streaming I find that RealPlayer is the most convenient and easiest to use of the media players.

For avi's I use Windows Media Player 10.