xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
shadowx

What Course To Take At Uni For A Job As A Network Techie?

Hi everyone

Im in the proccess of choosing the uni i want to go to and the course i want to take. The career i want is as a network admin/technician, something like that at school or college who look after the network. The problem i have is i dnt know which course will allow me to take this carreer and wether an emloyer would think that course gave me enough know-how to look after their networks. Ive looked at computer science and it seems like it might be good enough but its a big thing and i want to be sure.

This is a link to a descrition of computer science at one uni i like the look of http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

I guess someone here is, or knows of someone who is, a network administrator and the courses taken at university so please share!

thanks

I do know you need to take cisco courses, since those are part of of the primary requirements for networking.

You also have to take 2-3 programming courses as well, on top of basic computer courses as well. At the community college I am going to they have specific course just for network admin.

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

oh deer god! thats a crazy amount of courses! Im currently doing a cisco course at college so that should cover that side of things hopefully. The course i posted includes an introduction to object oriented programming which will probably be VB and my ICT course at college includes one networking and one VB unit (there are 12 units in total) Its a hell of a lot of courses to have to take!

On the opposite side, the network admins at my school, in charge of around 400 PCs scattered around the place, have absolutely no qualifications what so ever. None of them have been to university or taken any sort of courses apart from the required basic first aid courses to work in a school.

On the opposite side, the network admins at my school, in charge of around 400 PCs scattered around the place, have absolutely no qualifications what so ever. None of them have been to university or taken any sort of courses apart from the required basic first aid courses to work in a school.

To be honest it seems like most techies are that way nowadays! Tho the ones at my school did mention they had been to uni, they could've fooled me though...useless they were.