xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
mainvent

Tips On Using Smgs Long Range

Hi I have been playing counter-strike for about two years now, but I'm still having trouble using SMG's at long range. Some of the guns that I really need some help on are the MP5, TMP and Mac-10. I play CS: Source now, but I think any tips given will accomodate Source and 1.6 players. I have seen some people who are really good in long range battles with SMGs, so there is obviously a technique to shooting them. If any of you have any good techniques or tips, please post them here. My clan scrims all the time, and usually we start them off by rushing with MP5's or something. Knowing how to use them long range will help me out tremendously.

Edited by mainvent (see edit history)

Im not a CS player so this isnt game specific but if the weapon has recoil which makes the aiming decrease in accuracy then fire in short burts, about half a second and that way the aim will stay accruate and you can get a good few bullets on target. I use this technique for a mutator in Unreal tournament as the recoil destroys aim and i can get headshots on the other side of an arena :)

Thank you for your input, however, recoil is not the case with SMG's in CS. Unlike the M4 or AK, which are very powerful at long range, SMG's tend to not be as powerful or accurate. They work very well for close range, but I can shoot all day at someone long range with a SMG and not hit them at all.

ah fair enough, like i said no idea abut how CS handles its weapons. Maybe try aiming at the head if possible to maximise the damage each bullet causes. Other than that you'll have to wait for a CS player who knows what theyre talking about :)

Honestly, I haven't found SMG's at long range to be effective at all. The Mac 10 is exceptionally bad no matter how good you aim - really I think you have to use the speed and lack-of-recoil to your advantage, that is, rush up to the enemy using cover. When that's not possible whip out your pistol - generally in long range they're better (especially the USP and Deagle). The TMP is better because of the silencer, so as long as you have a good spot, you have a chance of unloading a lot of bullets, which, with some luck will deal decent damage with some accuracy - as you may be able to crouch some of the time.The MP5 can be used somewhat long range. As the recoil is so low with it, I found it's a matter of spamming at the head and hoping for a few lucky hits. You can keep running with it also - generally with SMG's staying still is bad.

I actually found that the MP5 at distance is all about 1 shot bursts for me. I used to take the ak47 approach and use around 3 shot bursts, but that would never work most of the time. By using 1 shot bursts, I was able to control the shots much better and hit my targets much more. I actually made a few headshots at long A from pit with an mp5, which is extremely hard for me to do. I still have no luck with TMP or anything like that, but I was able to figure out the P90 at distance. I found that doing 3 to 5 shot bursts from the waist up works fairly well. I can't make headshots most of the time, but I can still get the kills none the less. Someone let me know if these techniques work for you as well. As for me, I'm going to continue experimenting with them as well and see if I can pick up on any new weapons.

Oh all SMG's long range are almost usless, only if the person has no clue where you are , and you pray for a headshot. I would suggest if you have an SMG, go for close to mid range. The grea thing about them is that you can spray and pray better than any other type of gun. They generally stay in the prox. of your crosshair. I have seen people simply aim at the "sweet spot" (the aread in which you will find most people's heads when at a certain range) and just hold down the trigger. You can get a mass amount of headshots this way, especially when they are grouped up. But you also have to take into account if there is WC3 mod or not. Because trust me, in WC3 mod you should go for power than accuracy, which is what the SMG is about.. accuracy. Long range SMG, if anything I would hold down the trigger for roughly 1-2 seconds then let go, and hold it again till they are dead. You have the ability with the SMG to keep it accurate longer than with a rifle. That's the big advantage. Well good luck with your terrorist killing =PCheers,Jester

p90 2 shots at a time aiming belly for long-range while standing. Then change position, standing and repeat the process. You could get some lucky head shot.