xisto Community
johnsmith

A Question About The Creation Of A Magazine Sizes, programs etc

I was thinking of creating a team to make a weekly magazine (electronic and paper) but still, I don't have any resources nor any experience about this area.

I wanted to ask what sizes do you think it should be.

What size is the pocket-size magazine that I see ?

Also, what dpi is most suitable for this kind of work ? Only vector graphics should be used ?

....Also, what programs do you think are the best for this job, Adobe InDesign (which I have but never worked)?

Thanks in advance.

Hmm, you might want to research this before you make a monetary commitment to it. A Google search on the topic provided an enormous number of results. I would assume InDesign is the best way to go about it, since Adobe's crazy good.

As far as the vectors...heavens no! Use pictures, draw things; don't limit yourself to vectors only! You can probably think of one instance per magazine to use them, however, as a cover page, a logo, something.

Again, please research magazine design and get a dedicated team and topics before you undertake this! Best of luck :blink:

Yeah, InDesign is a good program for what you want to use. I'm not sure what's the general size for these things, but i'd suggest going out, and getting a ruler, measure a magazine, and just input the size when creating a new document. Also, i think 600dpi or above is good for this kind of work (very good quality, but big/huge file size).

Hi again and thank you for your answers...Unfortunately, that google search you mentioned was already done by me...The results are nearly all of magazines for design and not the other way round, nor they contain all the information I want....Still, your help has been valuable. Thank you and I hope that anything else you find will be posted here...

Scribus is good but I believe its Linux only, Openoffice is alot like that, but office oriented. lol
Speaking of opensource Inkscape is a great vector program, and yes I wouldnt limit stuff to svg's.
Another great program is The Gimp as good as ps imho.
As far as dpi goes, Id say about 150, but it depends on your image sizes, and dimensions.
If your wondering about file types for your publications, Id go with pdf, just about everybody has the reader, and they print oh so nicely.

Scribus is good but I believe its Linux only, Openoffice is alot like that, but office oriented. lol

Speaking of opensource Inkscape is a great vector program, and yes I wouldnt limit stuff to svg's.

Another great program is The Gimp as good as ps imho.

As far as dpi goes, Id say about 150, but it depends on your image sizes, and dimensions.

If your wondering about file types for your publications, Id go with pdf, just about everybody has the reader, and they print oh so nicely.

At the time of this post, Scribus 1.3.3.7 is available, and the Windows version can be found at http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/.

You could combine Scribus, The Gimp, and Inkspace to create an environment similar to Adobe CS, with publishing and graphic design all in one package.