xisto Community
abandoh

Windows Live Cd How do u create a windows live disk?

I cant say i know of any and i very much doubt they exist as windows is massive and a collection of a lot of small programs instead of one or two larger ones like linux. Can i ask why you need a windows one so urgently? If you explain the problem im sure I or (more likely) someone else will know a solution. IF you simply need access to a hard drive (eg your OS is corrupt and wont start but you need to get files from the hard drive) then a linux disk will do the trick. Let us know the problem and someone will help out :blink:

I use windows XP Pro on my laptop. But I want switch completely to Linux (Fedora/CentOS) but i want windows live cd so that i can use it whenever I need some functionalities only available in windows.

I have across a program called PEBuilder3110 which u can use. And also I want to create a live disk for win98.

Sometimes I have problems with flash drives that cannot be formatted with XP but can be done with win 98 so i need to create a win98 live cd for that purpose. i have attached a copy pebuilder.

I use windows XP Pro on my laptop. But I want switch completely to Linux (Fedora/CentOS) but i want windows live cd so that i can use it whenever I need some functionalities only available in windows.

There's a program called WINE for Linux which supports many programs that would normally run on only Windows, on Linux. Just download the one that's right for the Distro you're gonna be using.

Do you REALLY need the tools Windows offers? There is probably a lovely (Maybe even open-source) Linux alternative... Like there are SO many text editors on Linux that are just lovely, possibly even better than windows. If it's a Windows XP only compatible program or application... You're scr***d. If it was a device you wanted in particular that only ran on Windows, there are options for importing the drivers, just google "ndiswrapper". I've never heard of PEBuilder3110, and to be honest, I probably can't be bothered. Although I have heard of WINE which Truefusion mentioned, as I have used it to great effect. I hope what I said helped :blink: Edited by keri-j (see edit history)

I've always wanted to partition the Hard-Drive on my laptop so I could put something like Auditor on it, but I've never known how... :blink: which is a shame because I love Linux. Any chance you could write a tutorial how Ghostrider?

Actually I have some faulty flash drives. When you insert it into your PC, it detects the drives. But when you try to open it, an error message appears that says drive not formated and gives you the option to format the drivebut the format doesn't work. When you check the properties of the drive, its shows the capacity as zero or unknown.I use the win98 OS to resolve the problem, by downloading the drivers of the flash drive and formatting it.This the main reason I want the win98 live CD.

It is possible to create live CD that runs Windows, I'm just not sure is it worth the hassle... We experimented with that on my past workplace... I believe there is some edition of Windows, that can run from CD, but it won't be as universal as Linux is, meaning, it will only work on your machine, and maybe several different ones...I think Windows Mobile can do this, but I'm not sure tho... And as someone nicely said, there is a Linux version of every single Windows tool in existence... Be it OpenOffice, or mplayer, or whatever...Linux rules :blink:

My techer give me a task for learn Linux fundamental, but I don't know what the best Linux for me, My friend suggestion to use a Linux Live CD,but I still Confuse...........Can You help me???? :)

Well, I would recommend you get Ubuntu Linux, they also have Live CD feature... You can actually download it for free from the internet, and just burn it on a CD... You can also order it, and they will delver it, for free, but I guess that is not an option right now, since it may take two or three weeks for you to get the CD's... But, for begginers, I think Ubuntu is the best... Try to get ahold of one copy, there must be someone around who has at least one CD...

Ubuntu Homesite

Free orders of Ubuntu CD's

abandoh, as someone already said partitioning your drive is probably the best idea, that way you keep windows for anything you might need it for but can use Linux most of the time. To do this get yourself a linux installation disk (ebay has lots for like a pound or couple of dollars and its good delivery times) and during the intall it should give you an option to format the drive or partition it. MAKE A BACKUP BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING!!! Then you can use the tool on the disk to make, as said, three partitions, it will explain it to you fairly well and possibly provide a suggestion as to the space to allocate for each partition. it will then install to that partition and you can use a boot manager to choose which OS to boot into. I know the mandrive/mandrake disk had this tool and it was so easy to do for me even though it was my first experience in partitioning and almsot my firsy experience in using linux. There are more comprehensive guides everywhere, use Google or similar engine. But please remember to make a backup! Just in case!

abandoh, as someone already said partitioning your drive is probably the best idea, that way you keep windows for anything you might need it for but can use Linux most of the time. To do this get yourself a linux installation disk (ebay has lots for like a pound or couple of dollars and its good delivery times) and during the intall it should give you an option to format the drive or partition it.
MAKE A BACKUP BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING!!!

Then you can use the tool on the disk to make, as said, three partitions, it will explain it to you fairly well and possibly provide a suggestion as to the space to allocate for each partition. it will then install to that partition and you can use a boot manager to choose which OS to boot into. I know the mandrive/mandrake disk had this tool and it was so easy to do for me even though it was my first experience in partitioning and almsot my firsy experience in using linux.

There are more comprehensive guides everywhere, use Google or similar engine. But please remember to make a backup! Just in case!

I have a computer with several partitions, encompassing Linux, its swap, and Windows 98. Running a dual boot system (like in my setup) makes the most sense these days, so why bother with a live CD? I know that the PEBuilder thing can be used for making an installation disk, but I'm not sure if you can make a live CD with it.
If you really want Windows on your machine, the simplist solution is to dual-boot (with a bunch of partitions).