xisto Community
paulmason411

Learning To Program Games

Hi guys,I have quite a bit of programming experience as i have just finished an IT degree. However the Uni I went to never taught me anything about how to make games :blink: I was wondering what i should do to learn how to start making games. Is there a preferable language or SDK I should learn/use. Would I need to do a tertiary course or do you think i could learn it myself.Can you point me to some cool beginner tutorials etc.Any feed back would be greatly appreciated,Cheers.

Edited by paulmason411 (see edit history)

learning to make basic games is not difficult and you could learn it yourself ,just google the words and you will find many tutorials but if you want to make some cool 3d games you might have to do a short course in 3d animation but you could easily learn to make flash games ,its very basic ones and you could start from there

You can start by learning flash, and action script, once you get familiar, start by learning C++ language, if you learned that, then it will be really easy to make games, but it is a long way and not very easy to learn. C++ is the basic to make programs, and really complicated ones. Start by learning C++ from here: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/
Good luck!

Edited by Hadi (see edit history)

It depends on what platform you are developing for. Is it for a mobile phone, it is for a desktop, which language is going to be used? Java, C+, Visual Basic.NET, it all depends on you. I think the most important thing is to know what kind of game are you going to program, is it an arcade, action or platform shooter? From there, you can design your logic and things will be made more easier for you. There are many examples for you, but I would suggest to start with a simple game first, maybe a classic breakout would do the trick? Manipulation of the arrays, should really put you into the gear

Like they said it depends what language you know and what OS you are writing it for. If you know java, you can use OpenGL to program 3d games. If you know C you can use either DirectX or OpenGL of which both are powerful but do things very differently. So you will not want to learn both. DirectX is what most games are currently made in because it is more powerful but because of this it is a bit more difficult to program. The DirectX SDK has a huge number of tutorials and samples to help you learn how to do stuff plus just like OpenGL you can either do all the message handling yourself or use a prewritten code and just right handlers. This is known as DXUT in DirectX or GLUT in OpenGL. Let me know if you have any questions or want any resources for DirectX since i do a good amount of programming for it along with the shading language HLSL for research.

@fffanatics

If you know java, you can use OpenGL to program 3d games. If you know C......

Ok, now you've got my attention. Lol, if you can point me to any kind of tutorial for making an OpenGL apps in java, that will be ultra cool.10x in advance.