xisto Community
rovertos

Video Games Are A Complete Waste Of Time, Face It!

C'mon face it, video games are a complete waste of your time! Every time you turn on your console you should be asking yourself "Is there something better I should be doing with my time... like reading a good book... or watching a good movie... or flirting with a beautiful girl? Do I get anything out of this, does this make me a better person?"

I hear you on that man. But I usually play video games after I get home and it is around 2am. I have already studied and read all my books. I have usually spent over 12 hours with my significant other, and I'm probably really trying to bore myself to sleep ^^ But I do see what you mean. I do get pissed at those people who spend their entire lives playing games and not really accomplishing anything and then *BLEEP* about their lives.

Games drives the modern world. Video games triggers your brain to think critically. It is a way to train your strategic part of the brain without something boring like chess. Video game is now essential for kids and teenagers.Face it, if you take away your son's XBOX forever after he played it for 2 months (especially HALO 2), he'll melt or even take away his internet and all that stuff.Side note: it also depends on his interests.

Well, of course if you take away something that a kid has been obsessively playing then s/he's going to be pissed, you can't say that just about video games.And not all video games (in fact most) do not make you think critically. They are not essential for kids and teenagers!! Some games do, of course, for example puzzle games. However, many are just 'go in and shoot all the bad things while trying not to die', with possibly SOME thinking involved about what to do for that particular situation (ie Halo). But are you really going to face that situation in real life? Most likely not (unless you are in space and come across a huge ring with lots of life on it and the convenant trying to use it as a weapon to destroy life in the galaxy so that the swarm or whatever they're called don't have any food and will die...). Anyway, videogames distract people from real life. True, this is not always a bad thing. It can be argued from both sides.

Ok i agree with you, And i dont agree with you. Video games do take up alot of time. Youll turn on your system and be like im only going to play for like 15 mins. and yet you are sitting there for about 3 hours. so yeah there are other things you could be doing but alot of people dont relize the reality of it. Ok end i dissagre with you because, Video games are a learning experience. If your job was to create and program Video Games i bet you would love it. And it takes a long time to do that also. and You learn from video games Belive it or not , You do. So thats my say on this. ( even though its coming from a Hardcore Socom 2 player )

Gee... I was hoping for a little controversy here but it looks as if we all agree that, to say the least, gaming is not the true meaning of life, no matter how hard Sony is trying to convince us that this is the case. I mean "life is short , play more"... c'mon, gimme a break! If this was your last day on earth, how would you spend it? Certainly not playing any video games, I hope.I would like to add one thing to the discussion, though. There is now a whole generation of teenagers who grow up shooting each other online on a daily basis. We know this can affect dramatically an "odd minority" among them - remember Columbine - but what about the vast majority, what about your teenage friends and mine? In other words, do you think violent game culture can have any behavioural effect on teenagers who enjoy a normal upbringing?

to alot of people, videogames bring joy. so what would they rather do, read a book and be bored, or play videogames and have a good time?xD
Well, perhaps they should take some time to figure out why they are more happy playing games than living in the real world.
Games are a waste of time if you spend hours at end paying them. Games should just be games and not an alternate way of living, as we see they are becoming more and more these days. There is something seriously wrong in this modern society.

Video games are fun. If you are younger, And get good grades in school, have a bunch of good friends, maybe even a boy/girl friend, then whats the big deal? I really, really do not see what the big deal about video games is. I get A's in school, see my best friends every day, and kinda, has a girlfriend. Yet I still manage to squeeze in my 60 hours of CS.

Video games may be a waste of time, but when you're really young, and have no chance of driving a car and doing stuff in the real life, then play cideogames. Most of the people 21 and over that I know that play videogames usually don't play them all the time, but ony whenit doesn't interfere with something like work or anything like that.

I don't have a games consol....and the only games I have on computer left are Barbies Outfit Designer and Rapunzelz Story oh and Magic School Bus Dinosaures....plus the sims but thats something else....I play them like in my spare time like normal people....

I do not think that videogames are a waste of time. If they were a waste of time then most people would not have them. Also they are good to relieve stress. Sure you can get sidetracked you from a couple things while playing, but the person to blame if that happens is yourself. You must have the willpower to get up and do what you need to do. Videogames are a way to entertain yourself. Do you think that entertainment is a waste of time? I do not think so, and that is why I think that videogames are not a waste of time.

I am not much of a book reader, I'd rather have pictures(as in a movie...not a picture book :() than have to picture it in my head, now sure I can do allot by doing that, but I don't really like it.....Movies? I watch movies too.Flirting? Nope, sorry, i'm 13 almost 14, and till I'm 17 18 19 around there, I don't wanna get into serious ****, and I also don't wanna waste my time with sex-only relasionships(sp?), I'd rather have sex when it actualy means something.....I play vid games, so what? got a prob with it? sthu you *BLEEP*in bout it just annoys me, doesn't stop me. I'll be a vidgamer wether you like it or not.You can say "vid games take no REAL skill! go play a sport or something!" actualy, GOOD games do, they take smarts too, you gotta know what to do and what not to, gotta figure out where to go and where not to go, and that....is....not always easy.I play soccer and basketball too so kiss my..............hand.EDIT: oh and, I would like the time I spent reading your post and replying back please, gift wrapped too.

Edited by Triple X (see edit history)

Videogames are, in my opinion, a very fun way to entertain yourself for a few hours. I read quite a few books as well, as it expands your imagination much further than any game would. But I still enjoy the pleasure you get from shooting a character in a game. As someone pointed out, it's also a nice way to relieve day-to-day stress without actually blowing up at somebody. I do not believe violence, in any entertainment branch (i.e. movies, television, and/or games) will effect anyones behavior. The people who do become violent aren't swayed by what they see/hear on television or a game. They are this way, as far as anyone can see, from their life experiance. It wouldn't be accurate and/or fair to blame the incident at Columbine to a game or anything on television. People are dangerous in general and have a breaking point. Once that point is reached they are VERY unstable. This can happen to anyone, even the brightest and most, seemingly, kind of us. As for videogames educational value. I would have to say that it depends on your perspective and imagination. Even Halo can be educational to a degree if you look at it from a certain perspective. Most people do not, but it is still an educational tool. I do agree, however, that spending all of your time playing videogames is a complete waste of your life. There are better things you could be doing. But, if you feel you have nothing better to do, than by all means, play to your little-hearts-content. It's your life and you have the right to make that choice yourself. But every choice has it's consequences and you'd better be prepared to accept them, because you don't get a choice in that matter. BTW: Chess is not a boring game, it is one of the more educational, and in my opinion fun, games to-date.

Games make the world go round. All aspects of modern life are games... the economy.. dating... school... success in the working world... you play the system to get what you want. Only difference is its harder to break the rules in a video game.. and the only thing to win is a sense of satisfaction/victory. You can't really eat, breathe, or screw anything in a video game -- nothing tangible comes from them unless you somehow make your living off of them; but they do tend to sharpen reaction time (hand-eye coordination and, some games help develop problem solving skills.)