xisto Community
gameratheart

Can Anyone Suggest A Good Firewall? Need a firewall for my old PC.

While I was on this website doing security checks on my old Windows 98 computer, it pointed out that my computer is vulnerable because some ports are open. And that made me remember that I haven't installed a firewall on it!So can anyone suggest to me some good firewall software? Preferably one that has a low or zero price? It would really help my security.Many thanks in advance.

I don't know any free firewalls, but why wold you want to trust a free firewall to protect you computer? That would be asking for trouble because of the possible vulnerabilities it could possess.

But if your looking for some free firewall's try this site out they review free firewalls from the looks of it.

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Well, I cant really tell you how secure Mcafee was when I had it but I never had any viruses that I knew of. One thing about Mcafee I liked was the feature that showed the blocked viruses or attempts to access your computer. When Mcafee would block something it would show a detailed report about it, it would even show the exact location where the attack was sent from.

If you are looking for a free firewall I would go with just looking on http://download.cnet.com/windows/ for one.

But if you are looking for a paid one I would go with AVG.

AVG. AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition is a free anti-virus protection tool developed by GRISOFT for home use.

New In AVG 7.5

- Improved virus detection based on better heuristics and NTFS data streams scanning

- Smaller installation and update files

- Improved user interface

- Windows Vista ready

- and more

What you get with AVG Anti-Virus Free

./ Easy To Use

./ Regular and automatic virus database updates

./ Realtime protection of files and e-mails

./ Scheduled and manual testing

./ Windows & Linux

./ And most of all ... great customer satisfaction!

What you get with commercial version of AVG-Antivirus

./ Anti-Spyware

./ Anti-Spam

./ Firewall

./ 24/7 Technical Support

./ High Speed Updates

./ Multiple languages

./ Detailed Settings

./ Consent for commercial use

Notice from electriic ink:
Plagiraism is against the board rules. Warned. Quotes added.

http://www.avg.com/de-de/free-antivirus-download

Edited by electriic ink (see edit history)

The first thing you should do is upgrade to XP. Win98 is a hackers dream with all its security flaws. Then Id download Zone Alarm. Ive been using it for quite a bit and I love it.

I don't know any free firewalls, but why wold you want to trust a free firewall to protect you computer? That would be asking for trouble because of the possible vulnerabilities it could possess.

But if your looking for some free firewall's try this site out they review free firewalls from the looks of it.

http://imacros.net/

I'll have a look at this.

Well, I cant really tell you how secure Mcafee was when I had it but I never had any viruses that I knew of. One thing about Mcafee I liked was the feature that showed the blocked viruses or attempts to access your computer. When Mcafee would block something it would show a detailed report about it, it would even show the exact location where the attack was sent from.

If you are looking for a free firewall I would go with just looking on http://download.cnet.com/windows/ for one.

But if you are looking for a paid one I would go with AVG.

In my expirience, McAfee is faulty, so it is not to be trusted. Also I used to use McAfee on my XP COmputer and everytime I tried to use it's interface, it crashed 'cos it was so damn laggy. Download.com is also too laggy, even on my broadband connection. As for AVG Firewall, well I'm currently using AVG Viruscan Free and that rocks, but I don't have much money... so I'll think about it.

The first thing you should do is upgrade to XP. Win98 is a hackers dream with all its security flaws. Then Id download Zone Alarm. Ive been using it for quite a bit and I love it.

I know that. In fact, just four months ago Windows stopped all support for 98, which annoyed me. But this is a shared comp, so I'd have to ask my folks if I could do an upgrade. And they don't have the money for it.

A very good firewall is the zone alarm firewall

That one didn't work for me. I tried it before. Edited by NDPA (see edit history)

Well since you have said that you didn't like Zone Alarm, you could try Norton Internet Security trial, and if you think that its good and does the job well then buy it. I have used many different firewalls, the windows XP SP2 firewall, Zone Alarm, Norton Internet Security and another that i don't know the name of. In my experience Windows firewall by itself is useless, Zone Alarm is too frustrating trying to work out how to get it to allow a port or program, and Norton Internet Security while i had it working was great, i didn't seem to get any viruses or anything else. If you don't want to try Norton as many people say it eats up resources which i don't believe, then you could always download a free virus scanner and firewall combo such as Avast, I am running it and its working great. I'm pretty sure it comes with a firewall, plus the updates are downloaded by itself and it has a little sound file telling you that the virus protection is updated. Try it and tell us what you think, if you don't like it i'll suggest a new one.

I've tried many of the commercial firewalls...

I kinda liked Zone Alarm till it caused some problems to my pc, not mentioning some sensitive ports not being protected by the program...

The firewall I really like and using now is the one given by the Mcafee Internet Security Suite...Of course, the antivirus made my pc be soooo sluggish so I uninstalled it leaving the firewall in place...

Still, it's one of the few "programs" that haven't caused me a single problem....yet

Well since you have said that you didn't like Zone Alarm...

Correction: I never said I didn't like it. I said I couldn't get it to work! And what's the point of having a firewall that doesn't work?

A small router will only protect against incoming messages.
Since it's using NAT, if you make an outgoing connection the NAT table is updated.
And the router made a way to your computer.

So it's safer then a direct connection to the internet, but not completly safe.

For a firewall you could try Sygate , you can download it at the site
http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Recently Symantec has bought the pakket , so there will be no newer versions available of this pakket.

I used to use Zone Alarm and for a free program I think it's not too bad. I don't understand why you couldn't get it to work, I used it both on dialup and broadband without any problems. However I was concerned a little about it's limitations so I went with Mcafee's firewall. I have not had any problems or viruses at all with it. If you really are stretched for money you could always go with the Windows Firewall, but I don't know how effective it is. It would be better than nothing I guess.

...For a firewall you could try Sygate , you can download it at the sitehttp://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

I have recieved many recommendations from various sites for this one, including iopus, which Buffalo suggested. I am, in fact, testing it out now to see if it serves its purpose for me.

Recently Symantec has bought the pakket , so there will be no newer versions available of this pakket.

I am aware of this. I am not surprised - they buy over every good firewall / antivirus system. Edited by NDPA (see edit history)

I'm highly recommend Comodo firewall too.It's great work on the firewall. it has several monitor system and few advanced feature you won't find in some other commercial firewall product. after i installed this product, my system just got better, no malware installed on my system ever again. scanned with norton, AVG, NOD32, avast and found zero viruses. you know why?because it ask the user permission before allow any apps connect to the Internet both inbound and outbound.viruse and spyware(malware)usually come bundled with software that you download into your computer.if we can prevent that to happen,you're mostly safe from anything that threat your system including hackers and internet attacks.the best free firewall product ever. people should switch to this firewall from ZA,norton,and some other firewall products. for those people who don't have firewall installed you must have it. for others that have a firewall,give it a try anyway. you won't be disappointed!