xisto Community
JasperIk

Can't Stop Procrastinating

First of all, i am 19 in march i turn 20 i cannot still be in highschool courses that long! I don't have many credits left, but all the classes i need to take will take up atleast 2 months, so no matter what i wont be graduating until i am 20. Every week i plan on doing all my homework packets, and flying through my classes...and every week i wait until around 10-12 the night before its due. I cram in all my work by 3 am, and go to bed for only three hours and cram in another 2 hours from 6-8. Then i continue to get upset with myself because i do it EVERY single week. I thought maybe it was because i spend a great deal of time on the computer, but i will in the begining of the week shut the computer off and attempt to do my work, and then other things distract me , whether its tv, music, dust, food, my boyfriend, reading...anything and everything that can distract me seems to. I know the work needs to be done, i know i need to graduate ...why can't i get motivated enough to do the work ? What is really stopping me, but myself? I also should make a note it isn't every packet, its only certain ones. Its ones where i have to go through the book and find the answers, i can do english easily...but when i have to search through a book, and match whats in the packet and whats in the book i get so unbelievably stressed out, do i have some reading issues that i am not aware of? I just want to graduate and i am tired of procrastinating to the point where i want to kill myself- and sometimes i actually do get to the point where i think its easier to just kill myself then finish the work.

Study habits are often best arranged as a routine. Study at the same time each day, in the same place. Turn off the distractions (radio, tv, computer, etc.) and force yourself into the routine.Whether you have a reading or comprehension problem is best evaluated elsewhere, so I will leave it to you to seek the answer at another source.Don't sweat it. A lady in my hometown just graduated High School 3 years after retiring at age 65, so it shouldn't be an issue. What is at stake here is your future and you really should knuckle down and do what you can to make it happen in a positive fashion. Ity may require some effort, but do what you can to get it done.:blink: Wishing you the best with it, of course.

Well, I have issues with Procrastination even in college. However, usually what gets me to do my work is I end up worry about not doing it for a good week and eventually I worry myself sick and I do it finally. Suggestions on how to get your work done when you try to do it. -Unplug your TV, Radio, other electronic devices or do your homework in a room where there is no TV, Radio or other electronic devices. If you can't do that. Unplug everything and move it to another room (Hope your TV isn't a 60inch).-Turn off the Cellphone and/or disconnect the Phone if you didn't count that in your electronic devices. If you can move your cellphone and/or phone into another room with all the rest of the stuff.-If you are using the computer, turn off all IM's don't even bother just changing your status message to studying, just turn them off. Same thing with any games that you could possible play. If you want to get really serious dis-install any programs that could possible distract you and/or if your using windows create a new log in that specifically blocks use of those programs.-If you get hungry well studying, basically keep saying "Ok, if I get the next 10 problems right and I will get food" or "I will study for 5 more minutes and I will get food". It makes you study a little more before you get food. Or keep a supply of small snacks up in your study room so you can use as reward for studying for so long or getting so many problems right. (Suggested food that work well: Gummy Worms, M&M's, Chips, Crackers, and any other food small food that your really like.)-Move all interesting books out of the place where your studying and make sure your textbooks fill the room instead.-Dust...well I don't have any solutions for that one, but basically I guess dust before you prepare to study or dust the day before you study.-Basically the one way to prevent your boyfriend from distracting you from your studies is to do one thing, ask him "How about we study together?", that normally sends mine to the other side of the world. Either that or just tell him you can't do anything because you have to study.-Remove any other things that distract you from studying from your area and put a do not disturb sign on your door.The only other suggestion I could give you is the same as the other person who posted. Study in the same place and same time. Hope this helps you a little.

I also seem to have the same problem and no matter what I end up putting everything off. Sometimes I'll get started on something early as well and then say oh I'm ahead and by the night before it's due I realize I'm not ahead anymore. I've noticed though that when you know it's due you do it then and there working your best to get it done on time, maybe you can trick yourself into thinking it's due before hand or just act like it is but that'd be sort of hard. I am trying to stop my bad habit, I never really procrastinated before until high school but now that's really all I do. Just get into a routine forcing yourself to do the work like jlhaslip said and hopefully it'll become a new habit.

First of all, i am 19 in march i turn 20 i cannot still be in highschool courses that long! I don't have many credits left, but all the classes i need to take will take up atleast 2 months, so no matter what i wont be graduating until i am 20. Every week i plan on doing all my homework packets, and flying through my classes...and every week i wait until around 10-12 the night before its due. I cram in all my work by 3 am, and go to bed for only three hours and cram in another 2 hours from 6-8. Then i continue to get upset with myself because i do it EVERY single week. I thought maybe it was because i spend a great deal of time on the computer, but i will in the begining of the week shut the computer off and attempt to do my work, and then other things distract me , whether its tv, music, dust, food, my boyfriend, reading...anything and everything that can distract me seems to. I know the work needs to be done, i know i need to graduate ...why can't i get motivated enough to do the work ? What is really stopping me, but myself? I also should make a note it isn't every packet, its only certain ones. Its ones where i have to go through the book and find the answers, i can do english easily...but when i have to search through a book, and match whats in the packet and whats in the book i get so unbelievably stressed out, do i have some reading issues that i am not aware of? I just want to graduate and i am tired of procrastinating to the point where i want to kill myself- and sometimes i actually do get to the point where i think its easier to just kill myself then finish the work.

As you said dear you ave tried to equip yourself for study but the more you try the more it seems difficult to consecrate on your studies. well reading is just a habit any can develop befor anyone can read fluently he or she must develop such desires to read .According to you since you make use of the computers its part of education atleast the computer is not only for business you can use it to visit some good educative web site that can tutor you in some subject you neede to pass your exams.
Again why not plan a time table in which you can be able to know whwn and what to read becaus emost of the time you can see someone who have devoted his time for reading but he or she will find it very difficult to know what to read and thats makes reading and studying borring to that individual so what is very importants is'what to read' when to read it' and how to adopt such systems. Some people do consider a very conducive place so that nothing will distract them from reading and i do recomemd that for you. Again whenever you are reading make sure both tv and computer are tun off. finally anytime you want to read make sure that the people who you are with are ready to read with you if not find a place for yourself and study there
joshua

*List of suggestions*

Fantastic ideas there, some of which I have used. Will be sure to keep some food on hand from now on. :blink:

Anyway, Jasper, I found I procrastinate more in College than in High School, as it's even more relaxed with no attendance taken, and generally the education is a lot less personal. Your lecturers don't know you, and you hand your assignments in a box or slot, so it's much easier to hand in something you may not be personally satisfied with (as you just print it off and chuck it in the slot).

I find thinking too much about the future when you're studying is a bad thing. It becomes like "oh why bother now, it's just going to get worse" or "agh still have so long to go". I'm not sure if it's because I am a pessimist, but keeping it simple works much better. I've slacked off lately, but last year I used to checklist off what I'd need to do. Crossing things off a list is very satisfying, especially when you set yourself rewards for completing tasks. Once you get into something it's a lot easier to continue - I find the main problem is actually getting beyond opening the book.

And about your reading issues; you may want to see an Optometrist? Perhaps glasses may make it more "comfortable" for you to read. Fluroescent lights are also said to be the worst for reading, try a regular lightbulb when you read at night. I have also heard of this condition which affects a large proportion of the population, where people need a slight coloured tint in their glasses to read properly. Apparantly it's genetical in origin, and results in the person looking at a page and seeing something weird (examples are words spinning or zooming in and out, or seeing the patterns of white between words). Perhaps its worth a try to check that out too - I've forgotten the name of the condition, but I'm sure it's Googleable enough.

procraistining is not bad ,i know you miss a lot of work because of it but the fault is not in you ,not your procraistinationlet me tell you first what is procraistination, procraistination is trying to avoid some work again and again everytime because you don't feel like doing it , you don't want to do it this is the first step to do accept that you don't want to do it ,that the first step in killing procraistination you feel you don't get enough time for enjoyment so you procraistinate ,just chill relax and tske all the fun you need and then start doing it ,may be go on a vacation so you will be charged to do your work next time ,commit to study only 15 minutes ,than 30,45,60............. and so on ,just go to stevepavlina.com and read his procraistination post it

I know exactly what you mean. I'm about your age (I turned 20 in july). I always leave everything to the last minute. I found that I just work well under pressure. When I was younger I loved school, and I did quite well, till about 6th grade. That's when things stopped being challenging and I just felt like I wasn't really learning anything. Since then I had been wanting to drop out, just never actually did it. That is, till the middle of the first semester of my senior year. My best friend had graduated the year before and one day I was just like...F this, I'm getting my GED. So I did, and it was TO easy. The next semester I started college and things have pretty much been good since then. Granted I did have a child and got married, but still all good things :blink: and I'm doin ok in school, yes I can only take a couple of classes a semester but still, it's something! AND I finally decided on a major I think I'll be really happy with (CIS: Security).

But getting back to the getting distracted easily stuff, I think I do better with distractions, then without them. Because when I don't have distractions there then I spend all my time thinking about what can distract me! Oh and please don't think about suicide, that's a definite big no no. If you really are feeling that down, then seek professional help, I have a psychologist and I absolutely love being able to talk to him, he has a really good head on his shoulders and gives me the best advice. Also I do take an anti-depressant and it's a BIG help.

I have the same problem. I don't really like the idea of timing how long you study for because it doesn't help me. What I like to do is break up an assignment. And example would be an english essay where you have to read something and discuss a point in it.I find the best way to work through this is to do one piece at a time then set the assignment aside, usually for a day.So first day you do the reading, next you do some research if you need to, next day you write a rough copy (I usually use handwriting, just more fluent), next day I write a good copy edit it and print it off. This method works pretty good for me but I have a bad habit of doing the same thing, doing a full essay, starting at 10 done by about 3 am.But one of the most important things to do while you are on the computer is turning off IM and and email notification. And don't open anything that is not related to your work.

You might want to create a schedule for your daily activities and try your hardest to stick to it no matter what. You may seek advices from the most powerful advisers but the drive to change must come from yourself. You might receive the world's best advices but if you dont find it in yourself to change, then nothing would happen. You have to look into yourself and try to figure out what you really want in life and what you want to happen. You need to tell you self or even scare yourself that your life wont be goin anywhere if you dont stop your habit of proscrastination. Sometimes, threatening yourself works. :P You might also want to map out your goals and how you'd be able to achieve them. This way, you can visualy see what you want and where you currently are, and maybe, somehow, you'd be encouraged to take little steps that take you closer to your goals.Goodluck!

If you are having problems focusing there are many things I can think of doing.one would be doing the one thing for 10 to 15 mins then doing something you enjoy alot for 10 mins then returning to the thing you were previously doing.another would be to do research on the topic you are working on or putting off doing before you get assignd it *if possable to know what it is before hand*you could also go to your doctor or therapist and he//she can give you some advice *professional* and that could helpwhat I finds that works for me is doing the work 10% at a time then going to do something I like doing, Ex: games, cooking, reading, drawing, bikeing. That all depends on you thoughin the end it just matters that you got it done, not how but that its done.

Edited by ~Dave (see edit history)

If you are having problems focusing there are many things I can think of doing.
one would be doing the one thing for 10 to 15 mins then doing something you enjoy alot for 10 mins then returning to the thing you were previously doing.

another would be to do research on the topic you are working on or putting off doing before you get assignd it *if possable to know what it is before hand*

you could also go to your doctor or therapist and he//she can give you some advice *professional* and that could help

what I finds that works for me is doing the work 10% at a time then going to do something I like doing, Ex: games, cooking, reading, drawing, bikeing. That all depends on you though

in the end it just matters that you got it done, not how but that its done.

Alright, the problem with me is that when I try doing something fun between sections of work, I let the time get away from me. When I try making schedules, I'm too lazy to write it down all the time. We get school planners, but they don't do any good because I never write anything in them. I wonder if this is just because I'm incredibly lazy. I find little motivation to do the work. I have a hard time doing things when there is no immediate reward for it. I've tried everything I could and noe I'm out of ideas. If anyone can think of anything, I'd be happy to listen.

this is what i suggest you do go somewhere like to the library somewhere where you will be able to do your homework and study and also to make things even better by being in the library you dont want to be here so you have to tell yourself the faster you do your work the faster you can get out of the library. Another thing to do is stay afterschool you will be able to finish your homework and you will be able to check to see if it is right that is what i do. :P

Dude....I totally hear you. I'm a huge procrastinator. I was going to post a topic in here about not being motivated and then i saw your topic and came right in. I get my work done.....don't get me wrong. The problem is that I always procrastinate and never really want to do the work. It's so tough to get it started even though it takes me a short amount of time. I guess it's just a problem i'm going to have to overcome. It doesn't help that I smoke a lot of pot tho.