xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
BordaForx

Stressed Leading to my uncontrollable anger

Hello!

Before I start, you might want to know a little about the situation I am in right now. I am in college and sometimes am very, very stressed. This could lead me to become very angry and just hit random stuff. When I was in my early, middle, and late teenage years, I was always constantly angry at nothing. When I think back about what I was angry about, there was nothing to be angry about. But during that time I was angry, I just can't stop. I just get so mad. Weird? I know. Sometimes, I even feel depressed but I know I'm not because I have such a good life, I really can't see anything wrong with it; yet, I am still stressed.

Also, I am having problems with my girlfriend (I think it is because I am stressed). Sometimes I just get so mad for being late for dinner or something because she's always so "busy" that I just lose control. Maybe it's because I feel like I'm useless because she's richer than me, etc. I think I take some of my "stressed" anger and take it out on her because I am so mad (I can't help it). During these couple of days, she and I haven't really gotten along together because we have gotten in a little argument. I even forgot what it was; but I remember it was because I had a huge temper tantrum over something.

At times, I just feel like I'm in the dumps and I just get so mad (for no reason). But I think the main problem is college. I think I know the problems sometimes. I feel busy, but I'm not. How? I procrastinate. Guess what? It's such a bad habit that I can't stop it. I can't stop procrastinating. I can't stop watching TV all day long and laying off that essay until the last day. It's a very bad habit I can't stop. If this continues, I will probably lose my degree, girlfriend, and mind.

I can't cope any longer. Any advice would be appreciated. And also, advice on how to apologize to my girlfriend would be appreciated, too. Thank you.

Edited by BordaForx (see edit history)

How? I procrastinate. Guess what? It's such a bad habit that I can't stop it. I can't stop procrastinating. I can't stop watching TV all day long and laying off that essay until the last day. It's a very bad habit I can't stop.

Believe me, I know what you mean. It seems like everyone procrastinates now. I can't seem to break mine either. My suggestion is to get your work done early. The best way I have found to do this is to set a time it has to be done by. For example, I want to get it done by 8 pm so I can watch a show on TV. Usually, this works for me, as long as I really want to see that show. This will probably trigger a lot of positive effects. When your girlfriend comes home, you might be less stressed because you have one thing less to do later that night. It's hard to get over the mad streaks. It's best to just step away from what you are doing when you're mad and maybe eat a snack. When I get mad, I keep trying to do that thing I'm mad at (ex. homework), so I just keep getting madder. And by the way, good job marrying rich :blink:

I guess getting rid of that procrastination would somewhat help you with your stress. But to get rid of these things you would require a lot of self control. All i can do is suggest a few things. How i'd go about it is, since i don't procrastinate for the things i like/love to do, i'd mix it in with the things i don't feel like doing at the moment. And, if possible, slowly start getting more into the things you're postponing, and getting rid of the things that you like to do, while you're doing the things you don't want to do at the moment.

Now, about the anger management... I am at a brick wall with this one. :blink:

Well, I have dealt with stress for a long time and I am starting to overcome it. I have actually started to do work early. Once it is assigned, I work on it. I find that I have much more free time and has clearly helped my stress. Basically, most of my procrastination is gone.But I still have one problem; my anger is still over the roof. I still get so mad that I can't control it. I have an "adult"'s temper tantrum as my friends call it. I still can't help it. I try to control it, but I can't. :blink:

I am by no means an expert, but here are my thoughts. I hope they help you.First I off, think you are angry because you are still stressed but have tried to ignore it. You need to identify what EXACTLY it is you are stressed about. It would seem your anger started during school, suggesting perhaps that this the main reason for your stress. Did you find it difficult to complete your school work? Do you still find it difficult? This could also be a reason why you procrastinate. Do you find your workload overwhelming, making it difficult to know where to start? (Another reason for the procrastination?)If this is the case, perhaps you need to set small goals for yourself to break the workload down into manageable tasks. Setting and completing goals allows you to track your progress, it might surprise you how much you are actually achieving thus theoretically lowering your level of stress. Achieving these small goals could also give you an increased sense of self worth which may help you deal with your perceived thoughts of low worth in respect to your girlfriends achievements.I believe once you have your stress under control, your anger issues will sort themselves out. Good luck. :blink:

Sometimes, I even feel depressed but I know I'm not because I have such a good life, I really can't see anything wrong with it; yet, I am still stressed.

You could have everything in the world and still be unhappy. Theres many different levels of depression. Just because yours may or may not be severe, doesn't mean you shouldn't take it seriously. Why don't you try going to/calling a local counseling center. You'd be suprised at how releiving it is just to vent to someone.

This is what helped me... not sure if it will you but here's some advice from someone with similar problems :rolleyes:I have always had problems with stress & anger as well and I've found that, for me, seeing a doctor for it was the only way to solve it. I would get my mind off of what was bothering me, but then if something else came up and made me angry again, things would be twice as bad. Nothing seemed to completely work.I'm the type of person that can blow up at the tiniest thing, or feeling like I'm going to harm myself and/or someone else because my nerves bother me so badly. Things like someone tapping their fingers, crunching on candy or cereal, etc can just make me go postal. LOL :)Recently, because my stress levels were getting so high that I was having health issues (migraines, high blood pressure, etc), I saw a doctor and got placed on a low dose of Xanax. It's calmed me down tremendously. We're currently trying to get the dosage right because when it wears off between doses I can just blow up even more or just burst into tears.And yes, talking to people can help as well; plus, reading, staying active, cleaning, listening to music - ANYTHING to get your mind off of things can help calm you down. Music helps me most of all.You don't HAVE to resort to meds to control yourself but if all else fails, and things don't get better, you should at least discuss it with a doctor and see what they can do.

Edited by Erin (see edit history)