xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
matak

Updating Website From Another -- Website Is it possible, and how?

i was just thinking about this project that i'm doing, and i thought that it would be a good thing that i could update my website let's say on Xisto from my localhost computer with a click of a mouse, without all of that ftp mambo-yumbothe thing is that i wanted an "UPDATE" button on my site which woud connect to my localhost and update all the things needed.let's say i added few profiles localy, and i want to update them on site.. how could it be done.if i was crude in explanation please write what info u still need and i'll post it back...

Edited by matak (see edit history)

http://www.ftpsynchronizer.com/

install the program, set it up with your hostname, password etc...then you can synchronize between your computer and your webhost :(

ps: this is not free...however, if this software does not satisfy your, just search google for ftp synchronization (that`s what I did :lol: )...maybe you`ll find something better :(

well, yes i didn't wanted program but just piece of code. that's why i posted in php programing. but i guess this is a hard one to answer and maybe requires some expert knowlege of programing.later il try googleing your way, and if anybody else has any ideas on how to google this one PM me or something..(i really have problems trying to figure out how is something translated from croatian to english in these technical terms)pozdrav :lol:

I would suggest using Macromedia Dreamweaver. It's not 'free' but it's great for php coding such that it colorizes the code and when you save the file, there is a option so that it can automatically connect, and upload the saved file to your web server.

that would be it, i have also read about this on adifferent forum if i can find the link ill post it here beacause those people had posted several sites..

He isn't talking about ftp or editing sophtware guys... He means a peice of code that can change code on a diferent page dynamicly. And I do think I know the solution for this. The php fopen, and fwrite functions do just this.

Syntax:

fopen(string filename,string mode[,bool use_include_path[,resource zcontext]])

fwrite(resource handle,string string[,int length])

basically, you could just write

$content="Text you would like to set your file to";$open=fopen("yoursite.com/file.php;;fwrite($open,$content);fclose($open)

I didn't try this code yet, so Im not sure if you can write directly to the file through http, but you can definatly do it through ftp by making the url http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ instead of http://ww38.yoursite.com/file.php.

Remember, the file that you are tring to write to, if you do not use FTP, needs to be writable by the world, so set the proporties of the file to give everybody permison to read and write the file.

yes qwertyiscool that is the piece of code i've wondered about.but i'm real noob at all of this, beacouse right now i have great problems with joomla and file permisions. something is messing everything up. i don't know, maybe the problem is in my .htacces file, i'm editing it right now but file manager is not working right. beacouse of permisions i can't edit it in ftp client. i think i need to go to sleep, and then i'll try this piece of code of yours tommorow :blink:installing filezila as my last option..