xisto Community
BooZker

Ripping Dvds On Your Own Its legal and not piracy and just want to know how.

First off i want to say i own these movies, but me and my dad are both watching the Sopranos and i wanted to know how i could rip the DVD and put it on another DVD so that me or my dad can watch it without me having to borrow the same DVD he is on. WE OWN THESE DVDs! I looked up about 10+ topics here on Trap 17, but everyone was locked before they came to a conclusion. Here is some info that will probably help you:

I own a Mac OSX and Windows XP.

I own a DVD burner on both systems.

I can rip the DVD on to my computer already using a free program from Apple.com called MacTheRipper.

I just need a free program that will bring the size down on these videos. Some are over 5GBs. If there is a program that will convert them down and burn them that's great.

I DO NOT WANT ANY TRIAL VERSIONS. I WANT 100% FREE PROGRAMS If you give me a program that is a trial or say "just try it, i bought it and it's awesome" i will ignore it and not even look it up.

Please help me out on this. We have 5 seasons of the Sopranos on DVD and i would like to watch them. Please do not lock this topic either. This is all legal and the people that make it illegal by ripping DVDs that are not theirs should have to pay not the people who actually buy the DVDs and ask for help.

Thanks, if you post any useful info.

You sure you searched the forums? :lol: Go here: http://forums.xisto.com/topic/42213-avi-to-dvd-a-tut-on-converting-and-burning/Look where it says

DVD Shrink and DVDdecrypter to burn

Download DVD Shrink. It's free, and should do what you want.

DVD Shrink will reduce the size of a DVD so that it fits on a typical 4 gig DVD. It also allows you to remove the menu from the dvd to save space if you want along with remove different language audio files if you have no need for them. It runs quick and should do all the you require of it.

ONE question. how is it legal to rip a dvd? im sure theres something i am not seeing, but i don't know of any dvd's that are worth ripping that dont have copyrights. isn't is still illegal to make a copy of a dvd that you bought?

Edited by the_aggie10 (see edit history)

No, well you live in America correct? It's the same way as TiVo, or burning a CD for your car. You can make as many copies of something you own as long as you never give out the copies to anyone. You can sell the original copy of anything, but never a copied version of the original. Me and my dad bought this new for like 80 bucks i think and we paid 40 each for it, so legally speaking we own 50% of the DVD (s). So i can legaly burn the DVD for myself since i paid for 50% of it.Legal talk makes me tired.Also yah i read that, but i had problems downloading it. I think i will try again. I also tried another program from doom9 that took 3 HRS TO COPY TO THE DESKTOP! It converted it to DIVX which was such a waste of time because the quality was crappy and still over a GB of space.EDITED* I downloaded it and cannot get it to open my video TS folder always just says error. It can never find the files, but the files that are missing we not necessary so it the settings of my DVD ripper i got rid of them to save space. I guess i will try actual DVDs next.

Edited by BooZker (see edit history)

I use handbrake on Mac. Does a really good job and is free and opensource. Google handbrake. I do a lot of VHS 2 DVD transfers using dedicated machines. In fact, this is how I capture video for editing from VHS. I Copy to DVD and then import using handbrake. Yes it takes longer, but no dropped frames or other problems using capture cards. Plus I have about 4 Mac's plus my powerbook, so I can always do something else while that is importing.

blendergalactica i will have to try look that up. It's free awesome. One thing... this burns the DVD or just imports? Doesn't matter though i'm looking it up. Thanks a lot.

RipIt4Me is a freeware utility to helps you rip and backup your copy protected DVDs. Recently released DVDs are now very often equipped with stronger copy protections - such as new ARccOS or RipGuard DVD from Sony, Disney. Programs like DVD Shrink or DVD Decrypter cannot handle these types of discs.

With the help of RipIt4Me, ripping these DVDs will be a very easy task. The program is fully automated and the wizard will guide you through all the necessary steps involved. If you prefer, there is also a true "1-Click" mode that will perform all the involved steps automatically for you. Please refer to the official RipIt4Me Guide and FAQ for more information on how to use this program.

Changes in version 1.5.7.0 (18 November 2006) :
- Fixed the no disc in drive bug

Homepage - http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

hope it helps :blink:

Dvd Shrink is still the no.1 program with its high-quality compression, its easy-to-use interface and its flexibility (not to mention it is free).Copyright laws differ from country to country...You may have a problem if you like in specific countries were the law is ...inflexible and in my opinion quite idiotic...You can also buy the double-layer dvd's. Even though the normal ones are pretty much cheaper, you won't have to compress the dvd, losing quality.

Regain, i will see what Nero is like. I have some older Nero programs none that could convert. By the way it's against Traps TOS to talk like that. Mite should be might and so fourth. You have a lot of typos and you can edit them you know?

At least for United States law it is not legal to have multiple copies of DVD you own--only ONE is allowed, after you contact the distributor of said DVD. As for music CD it differes from a distributor to another distributor. This 'able to backup one copy' condition is not to have an extra copy for your car, etc, but it's due to surface damage that might hinder your entertainment during a playing back. When you purchase a DVD media you are actually paying for 'enjoyment' value and not the ownership of the movie. Because the movie is owned by the studio it was released from and its studio production people. So you cannot have multiple ownership of something you only paid once for it--according to loosely translated terms.

Additional legal fine prints: When you rent a DVD movie, let's say from BlockBuster, only 1 person per rental is to be viewed--additional viewing person must pay for the rental cost. But this isn't the issue or the subject in discussion. I just wanted to clarify (or further confuse) that the digital copyright law is very hard to understand.

Anyway, to backup a DVD without losing quality is a simple matter of can you fit all into one disk? If you don't mind splitting to two disks you don't have to sacrifice the playback quality. But DVD5 (4.7GB) can only handle about 2 hours of movie. This means sometimes you have to strip off all other extra features--scene selection and previews, even subtitles and commentary sections. DVD9 (8.4GB) can hold 1:1 copy but it's in DVD DL format. Not many old DVD players can support this playback format.

Since DVD5 is more common and inexpensive, people are resort to compressing the quality to meet the limited space. And you don't mind losing previews and all other features but the main movie, you can fit most of movies in one DVD+-R disk.

So how do you make a successful backup when DVD anti-copy protection won't let you make one? One solution is to contact the distributor of a DVD and request for instruction on backing up. But you will find that they would rather replace your "damaged" disk if you send in the original DVD media accompanied with proof of purchase (receipt). Who wants to pay for $10 round shipping when you can go out and buy another one for little more than that?

Backing up yourself is the next best solution. Using DVDFab Decrypter is currently the best way with Windows platform computers amoung free software. DVDFab Decrypter allows you to strip and/or compress the quality to fit the necessary limited DVD+-R space. To further compress to fit into a single DVD+-R disk, use DVD Shrink to adjust the compression ratio. These two program can be used together by using DVDFab Decrypter to make a full image to your harddrive. Then using DVD Shrink you can adjust higher compression before burning to a disk.

Although backing up is your right, overcoming copy protection is against the law. So it's catch 22 always...

All previous topics were closed because after explaining the process of backing up a DVD the next natural question is, "how do I make this particular DVD movie to backed up successfully?" or "where do I get this program for free?" Helping out how to overcome copy protection is against Xisto forum rules.

And the discussion to a particular DVD backup software is basically covered in Truefusion's provided link. And a specific discussion to a software should be resorted to that program's forum. Afterdawn is another great site to discuss DVD backup software.

PS, DVD+DL can be played on some older DVD players if Booktype is set to DVD-ROM. This is a special finishing process after the burning process. Please refer to Afterdawn for further detail. This is another reason, the Booktype, why some DVD players cannot read DVD+R. DVD-R are automatically set to DVD-ROM at the end of burning process.