xisto Community
apurva

Share Internet

Hi people,i have two pc at my home. One at dad's room and other with myself. Now his pc has internet connection and not mine. So how do i share internet connection?? I know its possible but have got no idea how! I'm a noob for technology so please explain it in simpler language.Thanks in advance.

Get a wireless router for the Line which goes into his computer and a Wireless Adapter for your machine, then both computers can be on the Internet at the same time.

is there a mothly fee for this? and is it slow if you are on both at the same time? imma need one of these coming this chrismas :lol:

I will explain my current setup and hopefully that will give you an idea of what you need. I have 2 desktop PCs, a laptop and a games console all connected to the Internet at once. This is done through one box, the router. Personally, I chose the Netgear DG834G as it was cheap, has 4 wired ports, wireless access, and an inbuilt firewall and modem. This cost me roughly ?60 (US$110). My two desktops are connected with cables to the router, as one is right next to the router, and the other in the next room. The games console is also connected via a cable, being next to one of the desktops. My laptop, however, is connected wirelessly, as I like the freedom of being able to use the Internet anywhere in my house or garden. When I turn my laptop on and login, it finds my wireless network and asks for the password to connect.Personally I would advise using wired connections where possible as they are much faster than wireless and you can't lose the signal from a fixed cable! Wireless can be a little temperamental sometimes and it is annoying downloading things and then the connection goes, but it only does that out in the garden. As for the speed, I have a 1Mb broadband connection, and there is no noticable slowing when using all 3 computers and the games console at once on the Internet. The maximum we can get is 2 PCs or a PC and the console playing an online game at once before a 3rd game slows down. The connection speed is split between the people who need it. Large downloads are given less priority than web browsing, as browsing is more "urgent".If you want I can send over some photos explaining my network, as I was originally confused when people started trying to explain all this to me for the first time. Once you hav the right kit then it's easy. I managed to get the whole lot working in under quarter of an hour, including running a network cable through into the next room.

Few simple steps for sharing connection...

On the computer that has internet connection---

1. Go to Control panel --> Network Connections, right mouse click on your connection and select 'Properties'
2. Under the properties go to Advanced Tab and there u check
+ Allow other users to connect on this internet connection---
U should also check firewall settings so that IP of your computer has that privilages.

I don't know if this helps your situation but that is something you must do in any situation. Now depending on your Home LAN (local area network) setup, proper setup of connection sharing might be a bit tricky. I did it myself at home few times, and every other time i try to do that i have to look at some manuals and FAQ's before doing it right. It look's simple but so can a simple error or something not set up right and nothing works.

Try googling more and explain your home network more (what type of internet conn are you using, are your computers networked etc..) so some of forum wizes here might find just right answer for you...

Hi people,i have two pc at my home. One at dad's room and other with myself. Now his pc has internet connection and not mine. So how do i share internet connection?? I know its possible but have got no idea how! I'm a noob for technology so please explain it in simpler language.
Thanks in advance.

you need a router to share your internet connection, if you don't mind havign lots of wires around your house, go for a wired router and connect the computers by LAN cable. however if you DO mind the wires[i'm sure you do], get a wirless router. if possible, try to get a friend who knows about routers to help you set it up and teach you how to do it yourself. its easier that way as compared to reading stuff online nad learning about it, well its up to you

hi, I do interesting which type of method you like. Software-based or Hardware-based ?

Personally, I use software-based coz having a very old computer so I do use that to build a router. The software used to create the software router is called wingate and is installed onto a windows nt 4.0 system with pentinum 133 / 96MB memory. Installing it is the same as other windows software and then config your IE and / or Firefox to point to the IP Address of the wingate system for the proxy setting. Of course, you will need the basic network in place also.

I like it also coz it provides addition feature such as bandwidth control, streaming media proxy, firewall and more.

Hope this help

As a reference
Wingate

The first thing you need to do is connecting both PC with each other.

Depending on your internet connection :
It can be a router (or wireless router) if you have a broadband connection (xDSL or Cable).

When you are using dialup the best is connecting the 2 PC with an ethernet cross cable (both PC's need an ethernet card if not built-in).
If both PC's are connected you have to install an internet sharing program,
This can be the free ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) of Windows or an other vendor program.
Some examples are :
Wingate , Lansuite 2004 (free but hard to setup) , ...

If you are using a sepparate PC for the router job you can use a linux pakket.

Some examples are :
Freesco (http://www.freesco.org/)
IPCOP (http://www.ipop.org/),
Smoothwall (http://www.smoothwall.org/)
2 more based on freebsd :

m0n0wall (index.php)
pfsense

Fli4l (http://www.fli4l.de/) works also but has a text based setup.

These pakkets have a web based setup and they are free to use and they work on an old computer with not that much hardware.
They even work an a P1 computer and some don't even need a hard disk (like freesco and fli4l).
The other pakkets can be installed on a small harddisk ( 700 MB or higher ).

Edited by kdr_98 (see edit history)

I suggest that if you are going to share internet with another person then get one that has a big bandwidth. I don't know how much you guys use but if you like downloading big files or something then that will kill your internet. Just follow the steps like everyone else just giving you a warning because I share internet with my brother and dad. So just make sure if you download somethign tell him first if its a large file so he doesn't wonder why the internet is insanely slow XD

Yeah I definaly wouldnt skimp on a decent router. Get something mid range (prolly around 85 bucks or so? US..) Something with a wirless G speedboost or something because the bandwidth will make a difference like thejestergl said. If you or your dad is doing some large file transfers or downloads you will see a major performance loss if you are using a cheaper router. Just something to keep in mind. Good luck.

dear apurva you can buy 2 (local lan) for your two pc and then connect them via one Cat5 cable or you can buy 2 wireless lan and do it at software you must open "Network Setup Wizard" in start / all programms / Accessories / Communications Then system search for device you can submit your lan there and select one name for your local network check on your internetsharing in 2pc submit your 1pc ip address for getway and in 1pc share your internet connection