xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Kuroshiro

Video Card Problem

I'm hoping that one of you guys came accross this one time and figured out how to fix it...So I decided to play Lineage 2 one day. But when I ranned it it gave me an error saying that I must have a video card installed in order for it to work and then the program crash right after I hit the OK button.I checked out my video card settings [Right-Click->Properties->Settings] then this comes out:"The currently selected graphics display driver can not be used. It was written for a previous version of windows, and is no longer compatible with this version of windows.The system has been started using the default VGA driver."Aparently my video card is an ATi Radeon 9250 256MB [PCI] and my current windows software is SP2. I guess when I updated to SP2 it started not to work at all.I checked out the stores [Fry's] and all they got thats fit for my computer is the same one that im using right now. Also, my driver version is Catalyst 6.5 which is pretty much the latest for my driver and the ones above it won't work on my driver.So, I need help on what to do. Thanks guys.

Replace it simple as that, graphics cards are fairly inexpensive, for hte game your playing you will need at least a geforce 6600 graphics card (I think thats the current one).

Then that would mean i'd have to buy myself a new computer. Since as I said [i hope], my computer could only take PCI cards, and pretty much the ATi Radeon 9250 [i think] is the best I could get. Also, I think NVIDIA only carries those PCI-E cards, not PCI. Im not sure, maybe I should stop by my local Fry's Electronics or Walmart when I can.

no you can replace the graphics card it's almost like a hard drive when you replace them but smaller.

well not really..new video cards won`t fit in the slots of an old computer`s motherboard...so it`s not just like that: :lol:... new video cards use a different type of slot, and some old computers just don`t have it :(..

old computers use motherboard that only supports PCI graphic cards whereas for new computer motherboards they support PCI-E 16x. The architecture is totally different that's why it would be a good idea to get a new one.
And if you do, assuming that price isn't a problem to you, im my opinion, I'd recommend going for AMD X2 processors. You could read a review about intel and AMD processors [HERE]
And for memory 1GB should be sufficient. Graphic cards I would recommend going for a high-end one because you wouldn't have to upgrade so fast. If you're not in a hurry I'd say wait for the new GeForce 8800GTX.

Well, I don't want to give up on my computer since I put so much into it.Lets see how it goes:Tower: $199160GB HD: $220CD-R/W& DVD: $99VideoCard: $199SoundCard: $50______________Total: $667 <- Thats a lot.

Edited by Kuroshiro (see edit history)

You wont be giving up your computer... You just need to buy a motherboard that has a PCI-E 16x slot, A geforce 6600 and above (should be PCI-E) dunno if you also need to change th processor... If your current motherboard supports AGP 8x then you dont need to change anything, just you video card. There are available AGP8x versions of GeForce 6 series. CouldWould you mind telling us what is the video card that you are using right now and the specs of your PC (The manufacturer and the model) so we can search for the specs of that card and see if it is compatible with windows XP sp2 or if it is compatible with the other components of your PC.Edit: I dont know what happened but I didn't double post (I only hit the submit post once). I am experiencing an odd internet connection problem yesterday(all the websites not just this one that I am viewing will become page not available when I reload the page, dunno why. and the connection is really very slow but I am using a DSL connection).

Edited by fr0z3n (see edit history)

I think you DO NOT need to replace the card. The error message:

"The currently selected graphics display driver can not be used. It was written for a previous version of windows, and is no longer compatible with this version of windows.

The system has been started using the default VGA driver."

It's just a driver problem. Perhaps because you upgrade the windows. For card of $199 and 256 MB, IMO, is quite decent already. like knuckles said just upgrade the driver. You can try:

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

download the Catalyst Software Suite, then install.

Hope it's useful. :)

-day