xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Cool_Freaker

Cf?s Tips To Powerpoint Making.

Begin half-rantAfter viewing several presentations trying to teach a point, there are some things that must be said to improve the quality of presentations.1. Do not put clipart on every slide. A few pictures here and there that help explain a point are good, but when every slide has at least one picture on it, one begins to wonder how some pictures even relate to what is discussed in the slide.2. Do not use slide transitions. If you do, do not set it on random or have an obnoxious transition. Really, no one cares about how the slides change, we are more interested in content. In fact, if the slide takes too long to change, or too flashy, it is highly annoying.3. Do not use random fonts. Fancy font types are not impressive. They just make things hard to read. Are you trying to show off a subject or your font? Ariel, Courier, Times New Roman, all fine fonts. But as soon as the font changes to Copperplate or any calligraphic font, you will irk at least one of your audience.That is all I can think of off the top of my head. Seriously people, fix up presentations so your audience will be more attentive. Wow them with content not style.End half-rantOh yeah, I have no idea where to put this topic, a lot of the forums comes close, but none dead on.That's right! No annoying sound effects either!

Edited by Cool_Freaker (see edit history)

I'll send this page link to SM because he start learning all about Powerpoint this week.Wonder if he knows what Clipart is?

I think you forgot to mention the content, in powerpoint slide presentation, things are always going to be described in point form. So I think it is important not to overstretch in a point, meaning not to go more than 2 lines of text, ideally it would be good to have each point binded to 7-10 words. After all it is a presentation, you would need to explain to your audience what each point means to keep their interest instead of having to read from the slide. If each point is done with the utmost detail and elaboration, what would be the point of this presentation? A presentation is meant to be a light weight representation of the information to the audience, not a detailed informative and technical lesson to the audience about what you have set as your focal discussion.

Actually CF it's not so much as to many clip arts but the actual background that the information is being presented on. If you have a busy background it kind of distracts the people reading what your trying to explain. With the work I have done so far a simple background is all you need with a border that doesn't take up the whole thing.I haven't seen to many presentations that have more then 1 clip art image is needed. But of course using the wrong clip art could make hte point your trying to make seem stupid.I agree with you on the fonts a plain font does just as well as using 5 different funky fonts. That is true doesn't matter how fancy you make the presentation just as long as you present the information that is needed for whatever your trying to do.@haslip clip art is just a image to enhance your document, trying to stump me were you haslip?