xisto Community
NigaiAmaiYume

Dealing With Telemarketers (usa Only (at This Time)) Being polite but ending the calls

This guide comes from my own experience, two months trying to make money by trying to convince other people to send money to a non-profit organization. Neither element worked very well for me, but I did pick up a few things sitting on the other side of the phone. These include the magic words: Do Not Call List (DNCL).

Heres how to stop telemarketers BEFORE they call:

Register at the National Do Not Call Registry (US only)

(Canadian forum members: We may get a Do Not Call List as well. If I hear this passes, Ill update.)

Basically, after youve had a telephone number on this list for 31 days, it is ILLEGAL for telemarketers covered by the Registry to call you at that number. It is a free service of the federal government; you dont have to pay anything to be on this list. You will be on the list for 5 years. (All this information is from the Federal Trade Commissions FAQ regarding the Registry. Other questions can be answered there.)

Now, not all telemarketers are covered by this Registry. These include: calls from or on behalf of political organizations, charities, and telephone surveyors would still be permitted, as would calls from companies with which you have an existing business relationship, or those to whom youve provided express agreement in writing to receive their calls.

If you get one of these calls after registering above, follow these steps:

1. Politely interrupt the telemarketer AFTER they have stated why they are calling.

Trust me, telemarketers are trained NOT to allow you to have any opportunity to talk unless its a reply to a leading question. You have to get your word in edgewise by your own power. Be polite, but be forceful if necessary. As to why after, see the DONT list below.

2. Say, Please put me on your Do Not Call List.

Say this clearly, this is the important part. Telemarketing companies maintain their own DNCL. These magic words make the telemarketer hit magic buttons on their computers that removes your number from circulation. Problem from these guys at least SOLVED.

3. If necessary, hang up.

The telemarketer is not SUPPOSED to argue with you, but if they persist, hang up after saying the magic words. Dont waste any more time.

Now, here are some things you DONT do. (Please. For me.)

1. Dont hang up as soon as you realize its a telemarketer.

Second worse thing you can do. If the telemarketer doesnt have a chance to explain why they are calling, the number is added to the call back list. Good chance theyll never get to it again, but why take that chance?

2. Dont politely listen to the entire speech if you dont plan on contributing.

Worse thing you can do. Youre wasting your time, and youre wasting the telemarketers time. If you dont want to contribute, tell them as soon as possible. Interrupt, as suggested above. Then use the magic words. (Do Not Call List)

Telemarketers get frustrated when they talk, then dont get a sale. Do YOU want to be the one that gets the person with the voodoo dolls? Do YOU want to take the chance it might work?

3. Dont treat the telemarketer like a soulless, sadistic demon.

These guys exist. I worked with a few. Actually, most of them were looking over my shoulder, implying I was lazy and/or worthless because I couldnt get retired grandparents to fork out $20. And yes, they are EVIL.

If youre on the Registry, however, chances are the telemarketer youre talking to ISNT a professional harbinger of evil. They may be a college student trying to earn enough to buy something other than mac and cheese. They may be a single mom trying to make ends meet. They may be a 16 year old trying to supplement their allowance. I worked with all of them. I was the former.

If their company works like mine did, theyre also probably pretty desperate for sales. The way MINE worked, was you were booked for a 3 hour shift. If you didnt meet quota in the first hour, you were kicked out without pay, then repeat every half hour. So thats 1 hour of minimum wage for 3 hours of wasted time if youre not able to squeeze money out of retired grandparents on pension. If you go over quota, you get paid more money per hour, but that NEVER happened to me. :lol: I was lucky to stay for 2 hours.

So, get rid of the telemarketer with the magic words, but be nice about it. It makes your life easier, and it makes them a little less likely to hate you and make a doll for their collection.

nice job on this tutuorial, they are annoying! my brother applied for a telemarketing job, but didnt get it cause at the interview the lady asked him to advertise a sharpie...

I wouldn't want to be on DNCL, even thought i live in england and dont know if they do this kinda thing. But either way i love it when they call because you can lead them on so much its great fun :lol: My brother once had one call and it was about a mobile phone contract and they asked how much he spent a month on his phone, he answered with ?300 and in the background heard the guy tell everyone in a whispered voice "?300!!!" hahahaha! then he hung up! And i was once offered a free phone so i offered them a free phone, that was fun too!The way i look at it my phone line is, in a sense, my "land" and by phoning me i have the right to say whatever i want to them! and they have no right to annoy the heck out of me by asking me if i want this or that so they get what they deserve.

thats kind of cruel, its not like they want to annoy the heck out of you, i just nicely say no thank you...thats just mean

But they're so persistent its like Christians knocking at your door trying to recruit you, or politicians, id love to chase them with a chainsaw, but id probably get arrested :lol:. If i wanted to buy new windows or a new phone or become a Christian id go to a shop or church!

This guide comes from my own experience, two months trying to make money by trying to convince other people to send money to a non-profit organization. Neither element worked very well for me, but I did pick up a few things sitting on the other side of the phone. These include the magic words: Do Not Call List (DNCL).

Here's how to stop telemarketers BEFORE they call:

Register at the National Do Not Call Registry (US only)

(Canadian forum members: We may get a Do Not Call List as well. If I hear this passes, I'll update.)

Basically, after you've had a telephone number on this list for 31 days, it is ILLEGAL for telemarketers covered by the Registry to call you at that number. It is a free service of the federal government; you don't have to pay anything to be on this list. You will be on the list for 5 years. (All this information is from the Federal Trade Commission's FAQ regarding the Registry. Other questions can be answered there.)

Wow, this is so convienient and cool! I really really really (continues for an hour) hope that a similar scheme gets set up here in the UK. Maybe then I can finally have some peace...

Ahhhhh if there is one thing I can't stand it;s telemarketers, especially the indian ones, No offence to any indians, but they just really annoy me as half the time theu speak to fast or too slow and I can't understand them so I end up saying "What?" alf the time. There is a thing like that here in australia, you just call a number and thats it tey stop, I dont know the number but I got my own way with dealing with them, I just hang up because i'm so sick of them!!

Sound advice, NigaiAmaiYume.I usually tell them to hold on, then I walk away, watch tv. THey have to end the call because it casts them money (or so I understand). It wont stop them from calling back later, but often times I just dont care enough to do anything about it.

Hmm, greay advice there Yume. I'm 13, live in London, England, and can be a very nasty person when tired. I was called on my mobile phone at 8 am by some stupid telemarketer offering "mobile phones at very cheap prices!!" Now, you must understand that I am awake from 2 pm to 5 am most non-school days (this being one of them), and am really, REALLY grouchy in the morning. This poor telemarketer didn't even get through their second sentence before they were verbally assaulted by me with words which I daren't type in this lovely forum. They actually said sorry and hung up, which was a great achievement for me, and kept me happy for the rest of the day. Basically, if you're a telemarketer, don't call me!

I have used this strategy for telemarketers from then, and it is great fun if you need someone to verbally abuse. Yes, I do feel slightly sorry for the telemarketer, who is probably just trying to make some money to scrape a living like my family, but when I'm grouchy, I'm grouchy. So my advice: never become a telemarketer, you will be hated.

Dear members of Xisto, please don't think any less of me because of my lack of reluctancy to verbally kick people in. Just don't call me at 6 am to 2 pm, especially if you are selling stuff. :lol:

I wonder if my country has a DNCL. I think it does not :S but this is not difficult to say "Sorry I'm not interested". BUt we all should treat them nicely, they are just people at work. As you said, they are not soulless sadistic devils, they do exist :blink:

i'd did undergo training in a Call Center here in India for US customers like Dell, K12 Finiancing, etc. we were told that if the customer asks to put them or add their details to the "Do not call List" then we cannot call them for 5 years. So you can stay free of calls for 5 years once you request them to remove your details from their database. This will work 100%. But be careful they'll definitely try to convience you to no to do this.

thanks, for the tip on ho to 'correctly' ditch a telemarketer if you don't ant to listen to them (I'd useually just hang up ith out even asking or anything) i feel so ashamed of myself :blink:

nice advice, there was a sound clip on the net about a guy acting is he were the police cheif invetsigating the murder of the guy that the telemarketer was going to call, it was hilarious. i guess it's a job and better than being on the dole but man aren't there other choices :blink: