xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Dooga

Firefox 2.0 Officially Launched!

For all you firefox fans out there, Firefox has officially launched the 2.0 version (yes the evil two point oh....). On oct 24th, numerous happy firefox users were notified of this update :lol:. Firefox hasn't updated the browser for quite a while, and after Opera 9 came out, Firefox just lost its users. And with IE 7 catching up, firefox needed to do better. And it did.

First of all, we notably see that the Firefox website https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/new/?utm_source=getfirefox-com&utm_medium=referral is now looking pretty snazzy. Other than the random "web 2.0" headers and reflections, it looks fantastic.

I think that the "web 2.0" is really here, with Firefox, two point oh.

Some more info if you want to fight yourself for choosing IE or Firefox: http://betanews.com/2006/10/25/firefox-2-0-vs-ie7-in-vista-how-close/

grr when i check for updates it says there arent any available! and i dont a pop-up saying there is one like i usually do is there anything else i can do?...is there a download site?

Edited by the_aggie10 (see edit history)

I noticed that as well but I think give it a few days and that would pop up but anyways the Following tools I recommend for web designers for FireFox 2 that actually work.ColorzillaCss ViewerHTML ValidatorMeasureItTalkbackView Source ChartWeb DeveloperX-rayAlready I find the spell checker a bit annoying to say the least that common words we use in the design world are errors. But now this should help post become a bit cleaner as well.

so there isnt a just a download site that i could get it off of instead of waiting a few days? lol im anxious.

aggie: https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/ then select products and pick the one for the Operating system you use.

Does anyone know if the Web Developer Extension, or all the other Extensions, needs to be downloaded fresh for the FF 2.0 installs?

Please confirm or deny here. Thanks.

RE: Web Developer Extension 1.02

Compatible with FF 2.0

I'm loving it so far although there aren't any major differences I see in it. My favorite part has it the spell check and when you click a link, it opens it in another tab. Small things that I love. Thanks for the report on it, Firefox is only getting better.

Edited by husker (see edit history)

i have noticed the spell check so far...at least its not on auto-correct though lol...holy crap it just said lol is spelled wrong!! they should have added that to the list...no joke

I highly doubt auto correct would be insufficient, because how would the browser determine which dictionary to use. Then of course their is the many different languages as well. Well this could be useful when searching stuff up and junk.

Its as good as what everyone expected, but I am going to have to stick to 1.5 for the time being as I dont want to lose all my extensions. Only a handful are compatible at the moment which is a pain. Plus I like the theme I have with 1.5 too.

most of the extensions are now updated to work with FF 2.0 too

@Saint_Michael: you can add unknown words to the dictionary so that next time FF encounters it, the word will not be underline (considered to be correct :lol: )...

some nice improvements (some of them could be previously added by installing extensions): session saver, undo closing of a tab, closing button on each tab button, better rss feed handling and so on.. for those who use IE -> https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/new/?utm_source=getfirefox-com&utm_medium=referral :(

Oh I know that I just don't feel like typing a few million html codes, yes I am that lazy. Although I might have missed it somewhere But I didn't see a phishing plug-in or add-on is there one around for FF at all?

I just installed Mozilla Firefox 2.0 and it looks great. I like the fact that it hasn't changed much (in the UI). The browser is probably the most used software so change in the UI isn't too good.
As far as the extensions go I lost one... Fasterfox. It seems it isn't yet compatible with 2.0. After some search I found and update for my theme Qute.

I highly doubt auto correct would be insufficient, because how would the browser determine which dictionary to use. Then of course their is the many different languages as well. Well this could be useful when searching stuff up and junk.

As far as I tried it the user can swap between languages with a simple click. Yeah of course at first you'll only have the English dictionary but you can download your language dictionary (well my languages dictionary is on the download list, but it seems it is only compatible with the beta versions).

i have noticed the spell check so far...at least its not on auto-correct though lol...holy crap it just said lol is spelled wrong!! they should have added that to the list...no joke

Lol is very used phrase but you can't find it anywhere in the normal dictionary, so why should it be in Firefox.

If you ask me the greatest feature of the new Firefox is the spell checker which I hope will improve my spelling :lol: . I'm not joking... I realize I make a lot of spelling mistakes so its a very welcome addition. I used to keep an online dictionary running when writing on Xisto and I still had a few mistakes.

Looking forward to the launch of Mozilla Firefox 2.0 in my own language...