xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
brandon10092

Dial-up Software On An Imac? iMac OS 9.2 Help

I've got a cheap iMac that I could definitely use for internet whenever I'm away from my DSL, especially since it's portable. Well it's running Mac OS 9.2 and since that's pretty old there aren't many updates or programs out for it anymore and Internet Explorer stopped updates a loooong time ago (it's stuck at 5.1) and I've got SBC Yahoo! DSL. I'd like to put the dial-up software provided by my ISP on this Mac, but it says I need IE 6 or higher and that's not possible since it's oudated. Is there anything I can do? I've tried a couple of alternative browsers like iCab, but that won't work and I can't get Safari 1.2 running. Help?

Have you tried downloading an alternative Mac browser. For example, google search Mac browsers and a long list will pop up. Look to see which one fits you the best. If that doesn't work, contact your ISP and see if they have any discs for an older PC, since it seems to be the disc you have is for newer ones. Or what you can do is get a free ISP like Net Zero where you can get 10 hours/month for free with access numbers. You are able to use any broswer of your choice. The problem is, I'm not sure if you are able to use Net Zero with Mac. And your last resort is to not use dial-up when you are away from your DSL. You always can try to find an access point to use wireless internet, if you Mac is able to do that as well. Of course, you always can save up for a newer laptop, Dell laptops are usually around 550 dollars so you can try to buy one of those. Hope this is helpful, but it may not be!

I have an iMac ppc g3 desktop running Netscape 7.01 and it is the most up-to-date Browser I can find for it. iCab crashed majorly, and IE5 sux, too.Hope that helps.