xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
gursimran2006

Dualcore Pcs?

Can anyone out there explain to me what a dualcore pc is all about?I know they have two processors, but what is so special about that?Can they run together or are they seperate?Can anyone give pro's and con's for them?And are there any issues with them?

Having 2 processors isn't necessarily twice as good but in many situations they do offer significant advantages. Their additional power can be crucial in applications like video editing or CAD. The real advantage of dual processors comes when you multitask.Take note that some software run slower in dual core processor PC than in a single processor PC.

Wow, thanks -[Nero]-, I thought it was great, nice to know it's not all it's cracked up to be. And for all those out there who don't know what CAD is, it's Computer Aided Design.... lazy, you could have googled it.

Basically a dual core is two processors on a single die(chip). I have a Quadcore PowerMac G5, which is 2 dualcore chips) and I notice a lot of pick up when I'm running Final Cut Pro (Video Editing) Shake(Video Compostiting), and other applications at the same time. Granted I also have 8GB of ram in the machine too. So a combined 10Ghz and 8GB of Ram is extremely nice combo. Too bad I keep running out of HDD space and have to get external 1TB HDD's.

Basically a dual core is two processors on a single die(chip). I have a Quadcore PowerMac G5, which is 2 dualcore chips) and I notice a lot of pick up when I'm running Final Cut Pro (Video Editing) Shake(Video Compostiting), and other applications at the same time. Granted I also have 8GB of ram in the machine too. So a combined 10Ghz and 8GB of Ram is extremely nice combo. Too bad I keep running out of HDD space and have to get external 1TB HDD's.

Oooh... Ooozing amounts of RAM... 8 GB of RAM simply makes my mouth water. :rolleyes: By the way, how much does a 1 TB HDD cost nowadays? I think I want that too. :)

I just want to ask a question... How did you come up with 10 GHz? I mean yeah, you have a quadcore PowerMac G5... But according to Apple's website, the highest clock rate so far is 3.0 GHz only... Just asking... No offense...

Oooh... Ooozing amounts of RAM... 8 GB of RAM simply makes my mouth water. laugh.gif By the way, how much does a 1 TB HDD cost nowadays? I think I want that too. biggrin.gif

I just want to ask a question... How did you come up with 10 GHz? I mean yeah, you have a quadcore PowerMac G5... But according to Apple's website, the highest clock rate so far is 3.0 GHz only... Just asking... No offense...

Clock Rate * No. of Processors = CPU freq. speed.

3.0 Ghz * 4 (Quad Core) = 12 Ghz.

12 Ghz is definitely greater than 10 Ghz. :)

I envy BlenderGalactica :) So much power constituted on one pc. I would guess that you have two monitors as well. :rolleyes: 8Gs of RAM and 10Ghz of power is more than enough for editing. And with 1TB you could start your own mini/medium Hosting Enterprise. XD

As for the main topic,

Can anyone out there explain to me what a dualcore pc is all about?

A dual core PC is a Personal computer powered by a dual core Processor, e.g. Intel Core Duo, Core Duo 2, AMD's X2, and G5, etc.

I know they have two processors, but what is so special about that?

As they've said, two processors "processing" at the same time saves you a lot of money and time when doing tasks at the same time (multi-tasking). Extreme processing speed will boost your system. Let's say that you have a 1GB RAM and 512MB of VC but with only a 2Ghz Processor, you may not experience the full capabilities of your RAM and VC, but for the Dual Cores, it is the other way around. ^_~

Can they run together or are they seperate?

Dual cores always run together, they are etched in a single die. But earlier models of the Intel Dual Core, (Pentium D, right?), has been modified to be two processors sticked side-by-side to look like they are "real" dual cores.

Can anyone give pro's and con's for them?

PRO: Extreme Speed and Processing Capability

CON: Extremely expensive. XD

And are there any issues with them?

You may have to upgrade your existing motherboard due to the fact that only new motherboards support dual core processors.

:rolleyes:

Many people dont understand that the clock speed of dual core is the combined speed of the individual cores of the processor. Say you have a dual core processor running at 2.4Ghz (Aka Intel Core 2 Duo E6600) each core of the processor is running at 1.2Ghz to combine to form the total 2.4Ghz clock speed. You cant say you have a 4.8Ghz processor because you have a dual core running at 2.4Ghz. Each core operates at the processor clock speed divided by the number of cores.

Just wanted to clear that up...haha

By the way, how much does a 1 TB HDD cost nowadays? I think I want that too.

You technically cant get a 1TB Hard drive by itself, the largest widely available hard drive is the Seagate 750GB drive. Yes you could combine two in a RAID setup to have over a terabyte, but you cant get 1TB by itself...yet. haha

[qutoe]Oooh... Ooozing amounts of RAM... 8 GB of RAM simply makes my mouth water.

Haha although it does sound very nice, the typical consumer does not even run enough applications to notice the difference with 8GB of memory. Right now, it really isnt nescessary, yes in the future it will be, but quite a ways down the road. Right now 2GB will suit you pretty comfortably, with upgrades to even 4GB in the near future. 8GB? Thats alot of uneeded memory I think...

Looks like AeonLan beat me to the answer, 1 minute late. Haha agree with the information provided though.

Many people dont understand that the clock speed of dual core is the combined speed of the individual cores of the processor. Say you have a dual core processor running at 2.4Ghz (Aka Intel Core 2 Duo E6600) each core of the processor is running at 1.2Ghz to combine to form the total 2.4Ghz clock speed. You cant say you have a 4.8Ghz processor because you have a dual core running at 2.4Ghz. Each core operates at the processor clock speed divided by the number of cores.

Just wanted to clear that up...haha

I assumed that the G5 processors were operating a 3.0Ghz per processor. And blender has a quad core motherboard. I didn't said that the processors were dual cores, which I assume, are not. Oh well, dual core or not, quad core means that..., wait, OKAY, my fault, maybe I was thinking about the Quad processor motherboards but not the Quad Cores that can be contained on Dual processor motherboards. If that's the case then:

Quad Processor at 3.0Ghz is 12.0 GHz

Dual Processor at 3.0Ghz is 6.0 GHz

As PlugComputers said, the 8GB RAM were pretty much useless if the workstation was used as a sole operating machine. That RAM may have been used resourcefully if it is used as a web server or Resource Server. *wink* *wink*. Another free webhost perhaps. XD

Looks like AeonLan beat me to the answer, 1 minute late. Haha agree with the information provided though.

GOT YAH! :)

On the contrary, dual core is not combined speed of both cores. It is 2 cores built on one die, each running at the specified speed. So a 3.0 ghz dual core p4 has 2 cores running at 3.0 ghz. All dual-cores seem to run on lower power and a bit cooler than their single core counterparts. So normally 1 core is used for your current program and the other might be used for background tasks. They are both used vigorously only when a multi-threaded application is opened. This allows for the other core to take on some of the work so the job is split, yealding some nice performance results. Very few games today offer multi-threading, but it's a thing of the future, creeping up on the horizon. Those that have a dual-core will already be ahead of the game. For a closing note, when you run an intenstive app., such as F.E.A.R., when you exit the game, most single core cpus will seem a bit sluggish, but with a dual core it never happened to me.Hope this clears things up.

I believe that computer he was talking about, the G5 Quad, has four cores each running at 2.5 GHz which, added up, would make 10 GHz. While it's true that there could, if all processors were maxxed out at the same time (take off your clothes, throw some water on it and you'll have a steam sauna :P ) you'd have 10 GHz worth of clock cycles under the hood, you wouldn't see the benifit that one theoretical 10 GHz chip would produce. It's kinda like having a VW Touareg TDI V10. The V10, like several engines built by the VW Auto Group, is actually two engines mated to the crankshaft. In Europe and other parts of the world you can buy a Touareg with a 2.5L inline 5 TDI (diesel). The numbers don't add up, though. Even though the 5L, 10 cylinder engine is two 2.5L inlines mated to one crank, the torque and horsepower isn't twice that put out by the single 2.5L engine. There's quite a bit of loss incurred. Back to the chip: Because of numerous factors such as front end bus speeds, software ineffencies, heat loss, etc., there's not nearly the gain to be had with multiple core processors compared with a single core. However with lower clock speeds, there's more power to be had without incurring the heat penalties and it's the least expensive way to increase performance since Intel is nearly at the max engineering this processor already. Next up, 65n processors.