xisto Community
gursimran2006

What Is Vista

I went to visit my step-aunt and uncle over the summer and they had vista. It reminded me of a Mac OS because it had the capablity for widgets- some of which came with the package, others were available online. The included media center also lets you create a slideshow with music. That's really all I learned in about 20 minutes, but maybe its helpful...

I also know someone who has it and they say it is very buggy. But until the final release comes what can you expect. I also heard that if your computer has the minimum requirements it is not that great to install it. It is beeter if you are over the minimum requirements for it to run how it should. I don't know if it is true. It's just what i heard.

Minimum system requirements for Vista are 1.5Ghz, 512MB RAM, 64MB graphics card, and at leat 15 GB of disk space. For me, that isn't a problem, since I surpass the specs by twofold, sixfold, fourfold, and tenfold, respectively.I know an extremely intelligent computer jock with whom I discussed Vista just last night. He says that he had a bet with a friend of his (for twenty dollars) that he could not crash a Mac. He says that 30 lines of code later, the computer crashed when the resources were eaten up as the program he made calculated Pi to the infinate decimal and dumped the numbers directly into the RAM. He says he tried a similar test with XP, and it took a bit longer to crash because once the RAM was full, it began to dump the numbers into a HDD file. Vista, he says, he could not crash using that technique, since it managed to detect the impending crash and close down the kernel that was running his calculation program before it choked the memory.He says that, like all software, Vista will have bugs, but that it is using a system that is revolutionarily secure. For one, he says, it does not have the user run on admin access be default, as most other operating systems do. Instead, one logs in as a normal user, and the OS will prompt for the user to enter a password when driver, kernal, or system files are being replaced or changed (instead of just allowing it to happen because one is logged in as administrator), although for most applications, games, etc., it won't be necessary. Further, he claims, Vista runs in an enviroment that is made up of multiple kernals running in a simliar platform, so if an application or file causes an error, that single kernel can be shut down without affecting the kernel that the OS itself is running on, thus making crashes extremely unlikely. It also allows kernels to be reset without turning off the computer, cutting down reset requirements by 85% (his words).Since all anyone else can offer are undetailed complaints about the beta, I would much sooner listen to an educated and intelligent individual (in this case, said friend) who knows what he's doing and has extensively tested most mainstream operating systems (and prefers Windows over others, at least for most things). Therefore, I expect to be getting Vista sometime in February, not long after when it is released (January 30th).

O donnoknow much about Vista, but hey! Why to say Vista Sux? So was Windows Xp some years ago, and we thought Win2000 or Me was better than it. We should undesrstand Vista as it is still in develpment. I bet in a year more than 70% Xp users will go on Vista.

With so many different versions and everything else...I wouldn't be surprised if people don't seriously start taking a closer look at Macs. If I read things right, they might even be doing away with the server version and having just a single version of OS 10.5 for everything. The only difference now is that the server version comes with a few extra tools and interfaces to programs, like Xgrid. Features that most people will never use and if you know enough unix you can get most of those features to work without having OSX server. It's just that the tools do help make it easier.

As I said, my friend claims that if Mac and PC hardware aren't equal now, they will be soon, and that OSX is not better than PC operating systems, primarily because it has just the same security issues and other problems as PCs do, just with far less compatibility with commercial market software, such as games and the like.According to him, the only reason that Macs don't have the exact same number of security holes as Windows is simply because no one has bothered to look for them much yet, since the number of OSX machines are so much fewer than the number of Windows ones.As Tim of Ctrl+Alt+Del once put it, Mac: Nobody Gives a S**t

ive just got my copy of Vista RTM, its still a major resource hog using 435MB of RAM while idle, but it dies run smooth, and it looks sweet. security is good on it with it asking if you want to let it modify files before the program opens, also the games menu is handy detecting al my games except some new games like Battlefield 2142, and OpenGL still aint fixed for ATI, it is worth paying to upgrade, you just need to use it a bit and dig into every link to see its capabilitys

I don't think I'm ever getting Windows Vista. It's probably is going to be really expensive, will load my computer, there will be plenty of bugs (like any other versions) and everybody I talk to who have Vista said the better thing about it is the interface. Well I don't give a ... about the interface :) I want a good and stable OS so I can run everything I need just fine.

I believe there are an unheard of 6 different versions. What this means is less individual support and documentation for each one and a lot of confused consumers. Most people have no clue about the differences between the standard Vista, and Vista Ultimate, but will buy the most expensive one just because they think it'll be faster or safer somehow.Most of the features are copied off of Mac OS Tiger or whatever it is called, and overal I don't think it's going to be smart to get when it comes out. Most 3rd party software developers will tell you that looking at the BETA, Vista appears nearly impossible to complete before their release "date". You can see that Microsoft realizes this by constantly pushing back the release date.Sure, the graphical additions will be nice, but it's just going to make it slower and until it's been out for a while and patches are developed, it's going to be very buggy and potentially have some dangerous security exploits. For that reason, I refuse to switch right when it comes out. There are too many things I need to protect on my computer, and despite Microsoft telling us they have tested this OS more than any of their previous, their reputation for releasing buggy operating systems warns me otherwise.If you want the look, use window blinds. It's tons cheaper than buying a new operating system.

I wonder how easily microsoft will be able to bait the regular consumer into purchasing this product. The average soccer mom or granddad isn't going to care about an enhanced interface, (Paticularly when the one they have now works, ironically the adaption of xp's interface has made people entirely reliant upon an archaic GUI from which they are uncapable of change without signifigant difficulty.). Not to mention, the majority of consumers are not concerned with the software they have now, paticularly when now that xp is finally stable there is barely a reason to upgrade. The only people this will appeal to is prebundled packages with new operating systems installed and techies that want to fool around with the concept of a new OS. I don't believe there is anything major that constitutes the price point microsoft has made.All in all, I would not recommend this OS unless you want the latest games, or your bored with your OS and just want to fiddle around. I recommend you have a d3d9 ready graphics card and 2gigs of ram if you don't want to lag out in this OS, otherwise its just not worth it. (1gig users can use it, just remember that you'll probably dig in to paging file fast.)I'm sorry microsoft, but a new 3d GUI is not going to appeal to the majority of consumers. So I can't wait until they spin the 'its more secure' stuff when we really are dealing with barely out of beta software.I also dislike prepackaged software like the unremovable internet explorer and the new windows anti spyware technology. It's great for them to compete, but it's shotty business practices when these things run in the background, or "hide' in the internal OS without your knowledge. You are effectively trying to destroy competition unfairly, as the consumer should have the option to run software for themselves with their own choices... Sadly the ease of use is more important than security.

Edited by hyper_monkey20 (see edit history)