xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
feipoh

How To Ftp "stuffs" From My Laptop1 To My Laptop2

Hello,

I have installed Apache2 and php5 and mysql in my laptop1.. i have a wireless router..

If i wanted to sent "stuffs" from my laptop2 to my laptop1, what wuould be the best way?

Hmm..let said the laptop1 folder below is the one that i wanted to ftp into.. from laptop2
http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

I dont know much about computing but i am very keen to learn... i would be very appreciate if anyone can gives me tips.. thank you!

To send stuff from either laptop to the other if they are on the same network just right click on the folder and click sharing. Enable sharing and allow the users to edit your files. Then just use copy and paste to get the files you want. Otherwise, use a ftp server with a login only you know that contains the files you want.

You can share the directory the website is stored in, or the entire Apache directory if you want, across your network so you can drag and drop files like you would into shared documents or something. To do that, right click on the folder you want to share (this is presuming you have Windows XP), select Properties, then the Sharing tab. In the lower half of the dialog tick the box to share the folder, and give it a logical name.Your other choice is to install an FTP server onto Laptop 1. This would allow you to upload and download from anywhere in the world, or just your network depending on how you set it up. This is a lot more difficult to set up that folder sharing, but it does make it possible to have access from anywhere if you need it.

thank you for reply..I have two laptops,but there is no network in my home, so they are not connected in anyway. The only thing they have in common is they are using the same wireless router fot access to the internet..Is that hard to set up my own network at home?is anyone know any network tutorial for setting up networking in my home? I would like to try to set up networking for both my laptops..Thank you!

If both computers are using Windows XP it's not that hard.Just try asharing a folder on both computers and it may work just like that.In explorer you should find the other computer by entering \\ followed by the ip adress.If it's not working there some things to you can check.

thank you for reply..

I have two laptops,but there is no network in my home, so they are not connected in anyway. The only thing they have in common is they are using the same wireless router fot access to the internet..

Is that hard to set up my own network at home?

is anyone know any network tutorial for setting up networking in my home? I would like to try to set up networking for both my laptops..Thank you!

If they are using the same router, that means they are on the same network. Just setup your Home/Office Network by going to either My Network Places or the Network Connections Window and check your left panel. I'm assuming u're on Win XP.

I don't trust the windows sharing mode. I have done this transfering of 'stuffs' as you would call it between my desktop and laptop. So I will give you an indepth step to do it.

These are the requirements needed for this to be successful

- Both computers must have internet access
- FTP Client (CuteFTP, WS_FTP, FlashFXP, Filezilla ... etc)
- Host computer meaning the computer which has the files must be the one to set up the server.

After you have all the requirements, we can start.

Download Filezilla server from

After installing in your host computer, and doing all you should need to do. You can configure the server, it is a pretty easy step. You just need to add a user, his password and then state which directory of your computer you want to share, be it your documents, music, games ... etc Be sure to check what kind of permissions you are allowing your users to be access because they can delete files if you set for it.

After configuring all this, make sure you start your filezilla server and on top of that allow filezilla server to bypass your firewall. You can do this by creating an exception in your windows firewall settings that is if you are using it. Add a program and then allow the firewall to accept it.

Alright now that you have done configuring your host computer, head to your client computer which is the computer you want to download the files into.

Launch your ftp client and type the address of the global IP your 1st computer is connected to and not the IP of your LAN. I have not tried typing the IP of your LAN to see whether it only allows a particular perosn to connect within his own network. I will try it out and get back to you. But I think this only works with 2 computers connected to the same router. When you want to connect, connect in this manner.

And if you have a username of darran, they will prompt you for a password to connect to the IP. The reason I asked you to put your name ahead of the @ is because there is an anonymos account which will not accept any password, unless you remove it, it will always take you to the anonymous account. So therefore, by putting darran as a username parameter, the ftp client will be able to identify the username which you have entered and process accordingly.

After that, you can simply transfer your files from your host computer. And if you want to transfer from laptop2 to laptop1. Repeat the same steps, just that in a different computer.

So there you have it, you can ftp 'stuffs' from 2 seperate computers which are connected with internet access.