xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Plenoptic

Video Games Can Reshape Education

Well finally people came up with the idea that instead of fighting the idea of video games taking over the minds of teenagers sometimes, they are going to try and use them to teach. I don't know if you've ever heard of VSmile for the younger kids but I guess they are looking to do something like that for teenagers. They want to push video games towards teens to teach them stuff during school. They aren't sure though how teachers would be trained or anything to use them. They know they won't really be able to make any money off of the games sold to the public so they want to just sell them straight to the schools.

I sort of wonder if this would work. Let alone if they could get it entertaining enough that the kids would like it and it won't be as bored as regular school. Of course you never know, hopefully they have kids test ideas before they send it out.

Source: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/--

Video games can actually do a lot of good. A few years ago I wrote an essay about it. They can improve concentration and hand-eye coordination, and it's possible to sneak some real information and teach with a fun game (note: Mario is Missing, while it contained factual information, was not very fun). Also things like Brain Age (which is more fun than it sounds) help to keep your mind on its figurative toes.

well if the games they make target those of the kids in school, then they won't have any problem. that's why i don't get it why you've said that "they would have problems selling it to the public". if they know their target well, then it should sell... given that they have the ability to sell them.but of course, the introduction of games in the educational system might seem to be a bit farfetched, with the reputation of video games and its effects on kids nowadays. and it will take great effort and time before people could accept that. proper guidance of superiors and parents will guide the children to a better path, especially when it comes to video games.

Yeah, public opinion would shape this a lot. People like Jack Thompson have been really bad in this sense. It's not video games that make bad kids, it's kids who can't tell the difference between real and virtual and bad parents who don't teach their kids right and wrong.

Video games can be bad and good. It mostly depends on the kid. If the kid takes everything seriously (I did kinda) The video game is REAL LIFE and he will do what he does in it. The kid that knows its just a game most likely plays for fun. It would be hard to get him to play an educational game but it would still work. Or we could get a coin on a string and hipmatise him. But either way my idea is it is a good thing. Most parents think video games are bad but there not always bad.

I think video games can be a good way to teach young people. First of all because video games have a huge market. There isn't any kid in the developed countries that has never played a video game in his life. Only think how easy it would be to remember a lesson at history, for example a famous battle, if you would virtually take place in it.Of course there is a downside to teaching trough video games. It is somewhat easy for a weak mind to confuse reality with the virtual world. Even ow things like this happen. On other kids video games become like drugs and induce addiction.Bottom line... video games used for teaching are a good idea as long as kids don't play too much.

Edited by adriantc (see edit history)

It's a good step but they have to realize what they are teaching. If you're trying to tech arts in games, it's gonna be a little tough. That's like teaching history using a calculator, I think. But what video games CAN teach is stuff like critical thinking through solving puzzles in-game. Examples include the numerous puzzles that you always find in games like Tomb Raider. It can also teach you about time management by assigning you tasks that you have to finish in a specified amount of time.But the key point of a game is interactivity. The majority of subjects that we have need us to sit for a long time to understand the theory and concept behind it. For example, I don't see how you can explain the process of electrolysis by having the student control a character that is walking around.This means that video games can probably added as a co-curricular subject, but probably cannot replace the classes that we have. Of course, we can only add it as a co-curricular subject if it is explained to the student what benefits exist in playing the game. That is the only way to make them focus on building those skills. We can see, for example, that video games increase concentration, but this only happens during the game. In class, the student is as unattentive as ever. His concentration increases rarely, if ever.At least, that's my opinion. Feel free to attack. With logical arguments, of course. :blink:

Edited by lodd (see edit history)

What? Video games that TEACH? Wow, what a REVOLUTIONARY and INGENIOUS concept!

I learned a lot as a young child, on my old Windows 3.1 computer, thanks to Reader Rabbit, math games, and The Learning Company games, such as Midnight Rescue!, Gizmos & Gadgets, and, later on, Treasure Mountain!, among others.

Edited by Cerebral Stasis (see edit history)

I remember that when I was in Elementary School we were taken to a computer lab that had some games which taught us a couple of things. First of all, there was this Mario game, which taught you how to type. You had to type sentences for mario to advance and kill the critters. It was really fun, it made my typing learning fun. There was another game we played called the Oregon Trail, which was fun. You started out in New York I believe and you had to make it all the way to Oregon with your relatives, and you had to be careful on what you would spent your money on, and which routes you would take etc. I think there were other games but thats all I can remember.

Ah, yes, I will always remember Oregon Trail (for the Macintosh). Great times. Simpler lives. Back when the CD was new technology and Sim City was a cutting-edge game (I still love Sim City 2000, the first of the games I played, although now I can't stand to play it - Sim City 4 should introduce technologies based upon the year, instead of how advanced one's town is, or at least make it an option).

Edited by Cerebral Stasis (see edit history)

They've been doing that for some time now, I would hardly consider it Hot News... However, it may be true. Since games are made to entertain, it could be used to educate as well and keep kids more interested. Educational games usually don't work for me... :wacko: I'd rather do more playing than actual learning. I remember playing "Slime Forest", an RPG made to help people learn Japanese Characters (I only played it for the Kanji)... I didn't really pay attention to the characters. I only wanted to explore some more ignoring my mistakes. I was in it for the game and not the learning experience... :blink:Well, things don't go well for everyone. I learn better the hard way I suppose. ;) It could be because I could hardly concentrate on learning when in front of the computer.