xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
axlefoley2001

Slowest Machine To Ever Run Winxp what are you machines specs?

The comes a point when there is no point using the OS because it was so slow. I ran XP on a 1Ghz Duron, with 64Mb RAM, and that was bad enough. If I had had a bit more computing knowledge at that point I would have loaded a different OS onto the computer, something that wasn't quite as large resource hog as XP. Maybe a Linux Distro.The slowest computer (as we think of computers today) was either a 386 running Windows 3.1, or more recently (two months ago) a 30Mhz Laptop (Ugh)

A friend installed XP on a 333Mhz machine to see if it would work and sure enough, it took the system, but man, was it slow. You almost needed a calendar to swap pages while connected on the wireless card. LOL. Then we installed Win 98se and now the kids use it.

a default windows xp installation would really crawl on a slow machine. one way to make it run faster on slow machines: CUSTOMIZE! :)

and here are two methods you can try to make your winxp run as you wish:
1. nLite - freeware - http://www.nliteos.com/nlite.html
2. XPlite - commercial - http://www.litepc.com/xplite.html

any of the two methods above will give you the ability to strip DOWN installation, for a blazing windows xp experience. :) one reportedly made a "tiny" edition, after much tweaking, to come up with a 400MB fully installed version, and running sweetly under 40MB ram (39.5MB to be exact).

I use macs normally, but I have a pc for things like msn.Its a 1ghz with 32mb ram running XP & it is painfully slow, even after turning all the XP visuals off & doing all the tweaks.