xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
blendergalactica

I Now Have A Blu-ray

I just bought Sony's internal Blu-Ray burner and installed into my Quadcore Mac. I do video editing and have been using HDC (High Def Camera) and Final Cut Pro 4.5HD for several years now. Finally I have a way to get that content onto a drive and to customers other than on an external HDD. I made two test videos and they both worked with DVD Studio Pro 4. Problem being right now those test run me about $20 each for the disc and I'm charging clients $50 per HD video output. The drive is also backwards compatiable so it burns standard DVD's and CD's as well. The price tag was $800 for the internal drive, which is high, but I'm the first HD video guy in the area and already have several $8000 projects lined up for the holidays. Again the killer is the cost of the media. The drive isn't that bad (my first cd burner was $1800), but $20 per disc gets up there quickly. So far no coasters, but the reason why I'm charging $50 per burn just incase. If everthing goes well, I make $30. If not and I have to do it over, then I only make $10.

ohhhhhh I'm Jealous......Yeah, for some reason I want blu-ray to win the blu-ray vs. hd-dvd fight. Probabably caus I heard somewhere Apple is planning to use blu-ray for their machines.hehe...

Considering I charge between $6500 - $9000 for a HD project...Granted I might see about $2000 of that as money in my pocket. The rest goes into hardware and equipement. At least I got smart and started renting the cameras since I average 7 - 9 projects a year...no more spending $8000 every other year for new cameras...