xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
--Stealth--

What Is Cold Fusion ???

See im very good with C++ and VB and getting better with Assembly. But i dont really know what ColdFusion is. Could someone please Explain what it is. Because now im intrestead in it. I mean i no it is alot of work to learn these Programing languages but im deffenty up for learning so can someone post a tutuorial or something like that, That would be great. thanks

does anyone know where to get decent FREE CFM hosting?I have know idea why I'm asking this for I haven't even used CFM yet.But I do know VB, ASP, PHP, ASP.NET, Visual C++, Flash, and HTML.

I dont think your going to find it for free. You could probably find something like that on google or or one of those free webhosting directory sites. Forget what they are. Thats the best place to look if you want. Also I have been wondering myself what its for. :D

yes, its really very expensive. And I think PHP is very better than cold fusion. Its cheap, easy and fast.

Try to work on your grammar. It's much better, not very better. Anyways, I have never seen a site out there programmed in coldfusion..ever. I commonly see HTML and a little more PHP but never coldfusion. I only know about it through this site. Otherwise I would never know it existed. But if it's anything like PHP, then it would have to be fairly decent.

my uncle scripts in cfm. so he knows a lot about it. he told me that its basically coding that accesses other files, like php, but it is more extensive and i think more efficient. its a database driven thing, so its complicated but worth while, it can make or break your site compaired to php. i suppose that it is a better language, however i am not certain.@Ao)k-general-cfm is used more commonly on bigger corporation websites. and secured ones also. its not a very popular language, but those who script it are usually specially priviledged. so i would look around at company websites and stuff.i would suggest learning it because it would probably look good on a resume for a coding job or something related to computers. but from my understanding, it gets complicated so i will talk to my uncle about it and look more into it for you.

yes, its really very expensive. And I think PHP is very better than cold fusion. Its cheap, easy and fast.

It's not just "cheap" PHP is FREE!

Try to work on your grammar. It's much better, not very better. Anyways, I have never seen a site out there programmed in coldfusion..ever. I commonly see HTML and a little more PHP but never coldfusion. I only know about it through this site. Otherwise I would never know it existed. But if it's anything like PHP, then it would have to be fairly decent.

Never seen a site in coldfusion? Check myspace.com; lol There are lots of sites out there with CF. Not as many as PHP, but still lots. Only reason there are less CF sites is because it costs $$$ to get it on a server. Marcromedia/Adobe or whatever likes to charge lots of money for their "superior" scripting language.

See im very good with C++ and VB and getting better with Assembly. But i dont really know what ColdFusion is. Could someone please Explain what it is. Because now im intrestead in it. I mean i no it is alot of work to learn these Programing languages but im deffenty up for learning so can someone post a tutuorial or something like that, That would be great. thanks

ColdFusion is a server-side scripting language like ASP or PHP, as well as a server technology. CF is built on J2EE so it is accessible for Java programmers. ColdFusion is generally referred to as the actual server that parses the code when someone requests a file with a .cfm extension; CFML is the scripting language that the CF server parses server-side. CF was developed by Allaire, which was later purchased by Macromedia, which was then purchased by Adobe. ColdFusion was the original web, server-side scripting language, which Microsoft tried to buy out at one point. When the Allaiire brothers refused, MS bough Aspect Technologies and developed ASP. ColdFusion is tag based like HTML so anyone who is familiar with HTML can easily figure it out. It can run on Windows, Linux, Mac and Solaris.

Despite the myths, ColdFusion is free; In order to develop in ColdFusion, you just download their developer edition from the http://www.adobe.com/products/coldfusion-family.html site so you can test code locally and then upload to the server; the developer version will allow 2 other IPs to access your server, so if you want to put your development version on your LAN to allow others to work with you, or put your server on the net and let a client look at your work via IP, you can.

I however upload mine to a subfolder on my domain for development and then upload to the live server when the development is complete (its also nice as I will not upload to their live hosting account until I get paid). If you want to host CF sites on your server then yes, ColdFusion is expensive and runs about 1200 for the Standard version and the Enterprise version costs more (something like 10k), but that version allows for high-end clustering and is what hosting companies run. Generally, I test locally with the developer version then upload the site to a host who is running ColdFusion. I use CrystalTech and pay about 16.95 a month for hosting but there are other sites out there as well like HostMySite.

ColdFusion is one of the more straightforward programming languages I found when I was getting into programming, since I was comfortable with HTML and both are tag based. Adobe just released ColdFusion 8, which seems to execute code much faster than previous versions and has integration with PDF to generate PDF files on the fly. It also shows Adobe is committed to the language and the server. It also integrates with Flex, which uses a similar tag based language to create REALLY cool RIA's. This is a Flex shopping cart that really shows what is possible and CF works natively with Flex.

Flex Shopping Cart

All the CF tags start with a CF before the function <cfoutput>#MyVariable#</cfoutput>. The CFQUERY tag is what you wrap around your SQL statements to make calls to the server. <cfquery name="MyQuery">SELECT * FROM Products ORDER BY ProductName </cfquery>. Therefore, if you did <cfoutput query="MyQuery">#DatabaseData#</cfoutput>, that would loop as long as needed, based on the query. If you are looking for a good starting book, Ben Forta's "Web Application Construction Kit" is a great place to start.

While many have called it a dead language for a long time, I am perfectly happy coding with it and with Adobe's new release, and feel it is not a dead language. There seems to be less code to write which allows me to develop and debug apps faster. Also, if you are interested in Flash, CF handles it very well through Flash Remoting.

And to the person who said there are no sites that use ColdFusion, I have BofA as a bank and their site is built on ColdFusion, as I believe the US Sentate web site is. Its very much like the Mac / PC argument; it really just matters what you are comfortable coding in. I was never comfortable with ASP or PHP, although any good developer should have multiple languages under his belt. All the companies that use CF are listed at the following URL's.

SysteManage List of CF Sites

Adobe - ColdFusion Customers

Just my 2 cents.

Wow, quite a bit for 2 cents he he. But where would you go about finding a solid database of tutorials for learning how to program this. Im curious as to how simple/ hard it would be, as it does seem like it would be worth while learning so you can put it on your resume. This also is another step closer to bridging my gap between hardware and software, which is my goal. Any help is much appreciated :PDOH! just re-read it and saw the book, but are there any good online sites that have tutorials?

Edited by Kadak10 (see edit history)

Although I've never personally used CFM properly, I did have the developer version installed on my computer at one stage. I soon realised it probably wasn't a good idea to try and learn CFML before HTML; consequently I gave up on it and never returned.