xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Sharn

Anyplace Control Very cool program, read

So, my friend found a program that lets you control another computer. Like have complete control if you know the password for it. Except for starting it up, of course. It's called "Anyplace Control". You install the Admin program on your main computer, and the host program on the computer you want to control. Works best over your network, though it can be used with direct IP.

Here's a description from their site:

Anyplace Control is a remote control software that allows you to control remote computers from anywhere in the world.
The program displays the remote computer's desktop (connected via the Internet or LAN) on your local screen and lets you use your mouse and keyboard to control that PC remotely. In other words, with this program you can operate a remote PC just as if you were sitting in front of it, right from where you are, no matter where you actually are.

The built-in File Transfer feature will let you transfer files between the computers. With Anyplace Control, you can restart and shutdown a remote PC, lock a remote mouse or keyboard, and do many other tricky things. The program also includes the remote installation feature, which provides you with the facility to install and configure our program on multiple remote PCs without the need to visit each PC individually.
It is so fast and natural that you can at some stage forget that you are working on a remote PC!

The website is here:
http://www.anyplace-control.com/

You can get a free 30 day trial from there, after that it's actually pretty cheap at $35. Fun little deal to mess with you siblings, they walk away from their computer and come back to find notepad open saying "Haha! you been hax0red!"

Pretty fun.
Edited by Sharn (see edit history)

And are there Operating System limitations that apply to this Software? Can I use it on my iMac ppc g3, for instance? They must be web-connected and turned on at the time of access? Does their Browser window need to be open?

You know, I'm pretty sure it's Windows only, unfortunately. =\ The computer doesn't necessarily need to be on the internet, it just needs to be on a network. In other words, they both have to be connected to the same router. If the two PCs aren't on the same network, they both must be on the internet and you have to know the IP of the host. (The one being controlled)And the browser doesn't have to be open for it to work... it connects in a different way than your browser or something like that. It actualy connect directly to the host's program. I haven't used it really yet, but I plan on testing it with Windows ME being the host tomorrow, simply to see if it works between XP and older Windows.

Edited by Sharn (see edit history)

pretty neat find you have there :) lol i cant wait to test it out on my sisters computer muahahai wonder, will it connect to anyones computer? if you have their IP address? Or do they need to have this installed on their computer?

I use a similar one called "Log me in" https://secure.logmein.com/home they have a free and a paying version, all you need is the computer to be on and connected to the internet, then on any computer in the world you go to logmein.com and can access your computer through any browser :) im not sure if it works on Mac's though :S

There is a similar program called realVNC and it provides the same functionality of this Anyplace Control. Most importantly, realVNC is free and you can use it to control another remote computer. It makes use of java on a browser, so a minimum requirement would be to have an internet connection for both computers, have java in your browsers and install the software on both computers. This remote control of computers is very useful if you want to debug something in another person's computer but also it can be very harmful especially if you delete some important files in the other party's computer. But I think this software brings us more good than bad results :)