xisto Community
delivi

Microsoft Word Trick

That's really rather interesting. It might have been a macro someone used to test in Word when creating it. It may be an example for a Macro as well say for Visual Basic. It is rather intersting. I got a kick out of it. I wonder if there is anything else like that. I might have to do a search. I tried doing other numbers after random but nothing happened. It made my computer freeze for about 5 seconds and then all of a sudden it loaded. :)

:) it's a rand function in word used to create dummy/sample text in a document. here's the explanation from microsoft knowledge base:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/212251

some think of it as a "virus", especially to those unfamiliar with word. others label it as an easter egg.

Hahah! That was fun. Although I think it might have been better or appeared more "professional" (I use the words loosely here), if they used the Lorem Ipsum text instead. After all, it has been the "standard" "random" text (again, terms applied loosely) :)

Here, have a nice link, if you need it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lorem_ipsum

There is a "code" on how it all works. The two numbers within the brackets represent the paragraphs and sentences you want. The first number dictates the number of separate paragraphs of text you want, and the second is the number of sentences in each paragraph. The maximums are 200 and 99, so they are always used when describing what Microsoft loosely term a "feature" (isn't that always the way with bugs?). I've used it for a while when I can't be bothered to go and generate some Lipsum I start putting the rand function in.

Well that's gotta be really cool, shame that it's only "The quick fox jumped over the lazy dog", the sentence that gives you ever letter of the alphabet. Why not truly random text?

Microsoft Office 2007 shows a different sentence to it... It repeated this many times...

On the Insert tab, the galleries include items that are designed to coordinate with the overall look of your document. You can use these galleries to insert tables, headers, footers, lists, cover pages, and other document building blocks. When you create pictures, charts, or diagrams, they also coordinate with your current document look. You can easily change the formatting of selected text in the document text by choosing a look for the selected text from the Quick Styles gallery on the Home tab. You can also format text directly by using the other controls on the Home tab. Most controls offer a choice of using the look from the current theme or using a format that you specify directly. To change the overall look of your document, choose new Theme elements on the Page Layout tab. To change the looks available in the Quick Style gallery, use the Change Current Quick Style Set command. Both the Themes gallery and the Quick Styles gallery provide reset commands so that you can always restore the look of your document to the original contained in your current template.

It seems that its teaching you something instead of meaningless comment like the dog, but its not exactly useful for me...

The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog

I got 235 pages on 2003, But I do find that interesting surprised it was never brought up last semester in this computer class I was taken for word.

Interesting, I got a little thrill out of it :lol:.

I'm using Word 2002 (or so the About box says) and I got 235 pages of: "The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog....."

How did you find this out? Google?

Imagine accidently pressing Print. You could of course turn off the printer or cancel the print job, but imagine if you didn't realise you had clicked it and it was a remote or network printer. Hehe :(

The =rand() function has the following syntax

=rand(p,s)

where p is the number of paragraphs and s is the number of sentences that you want to appear in each paragraph.

So if I typed =rand(500,4), there would be 500 paragraphs with 4 sentences inside each paragraph of "The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog..." Fun :(

It applies to: Microsoft Office Word 2003, Microsoft Office Word 2002 Standard Edition, Microsoft Word 2000 Standard Edition and Microsoft Word 97 Standard Edition :(.

Hahah! That was fun. Although I think it might have been better or appeared more "professional" (I use the words loosely here), if they used the Lorem Ipsum text instead. After all, it has been the "standard" "random" text (again, terms applied loosely) :lol:

Here, have a nice link, if you need it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lorem_ipsum

I tried to experiment with this so I typed in =rand(200,99) and then went into Find/Replace then I typed in: "The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog." in the find box and then some Lorem Ipsum in the replace box. I then clicked on Replace All. I walked away for a few seconds because I thought it would take a while, but when I got back the "Sorry Word Encountered an Error" message was displayed, Word had to close :( So it was too much for poor little Word. Oh well - I tried.
Edited by Matt2 (see edit history)

Here's a way cooler trick:1. open Microsoft Word2. Type Q33 (the name of the first plane in 9/11 that went down)3. Change it to 48 font4. Change it to Windings FontSee what you get!!

Here's a way cooler trick:
1. open Microsoft Word
2. Type Q33 (the name of the first plane in 9/11 that went down)
3. Change it to 48 font
4. Change it to Windings Font

See what you get!!

Oh and q33 isnt the name of any of the planes that went down on 9/11... idiot

hahahah the rand command loool i did tht to my friends maths assignment and he didnt kno the undo key and he sat there deleting every line how stupid was tht ;)

OMG admin some oone can u delete this post as it was a mistake reply twice lol soory ;)
Edited by scan06disk (see edit history)