xisto Community
darran

Show Desktop Icon How to I do it?

Do you know the icon on the quick launch bar which allows you to show the desktop once click on it? Alternatively, you can right click on the task bar and click on the option 'Show the Desktop'.My problem is I have accidentally deleted the show desktop icon on the quick launch bar on the taskbar. Is there a way I can bring it back? I know I can show the desktop by right clicking and then selecting the option I want. But it is very troublesome for me, I would prefer just to click once and thats it I am back to the desktop instead of having to right click, move to the appropriate menu and then clicking again.I would appreciate it if anyone could help me?

Looks like you're not the only one who has this issue.

Take a look at how the shortcut is created http://www.dougknox.com/tips/showdesktop.htm
In case the site is down or no longer exists in the future, here is the quote

Copy and paste the following lines into a Notepad file.
[shell]
Command=2
IconFile=explorer.exe,3
[Taskbar]
Command=ToggleDesktop

Save the file to your Desktop as Show Desktop.scf. Next left click on the file you just created and drag it down to the Quick Launch bar and release.

Or go to this site for just easy download and install
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_showdesktop.htm

if you have a new keyboard (that is, not antique :) ), you can press:

"Windows Logo" Key (near left CTRL) + D to minimize all windows :)

Hey, I have a center roller on my mouse that allows me to minimize all my windows at once, but this is another way of doing it I didn't know about. I tried it and it works just fine. Thanks for the extra incite hts. Edited by Mich (see edit history)

Looks like you're not the only one who has this issue.
Take a look at how the shortcut is created http://www.dougknox.com/tips/showdesktop.htm
In case the site is down or no longer exists in the future, here is the quote
Or go to this site for just easy download and install
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_showdesktop.htm

Thank you so much for the wonderful help
Things will definitely work easier for me especially when I have more than 7 windows in the taskbar. :(

These are really cool!! I never knew you can do that :lol:
Thanks for the tip.
This would definately help out.

to show desktop on the taskbar follow the tips:
1. RIGHT click on the TASK BAR
2. go to TOOLBAR
3. click on DESKTOP

He had already seen that like he said in the original post but he wanted to bring the button back. I'm going to have to remember that code Buffalo. That's pretty useful. I might just save it in My Documents in case I need it. Now what I'd like to know is if that'd work in Visual Basic or anything so people can click on a button and have it show the Desktop. But I sort of doubt it'd be the same code.

if you have a new keyboard (that is, not antique :wacko: ), you can press:
"Windows Logo" Key (near left CTRL) + D to minimize all windows :blink:

Thanks for that. It'll help me a lot even though I already had the Show Desktop icon in my Quick Launch bar.

There is a ton of stuff you can do using Windows key (the one between Ctrl and Alt)

For example, Windows + L, will lock your computer... It will bring up logon dialog, prompting you to enter password, to unlock your computer

Windows + E, will open Windows Explorer, etc, etc...

Here's a link for the site with list of shortcuts involving windows key... List of shortcuts