xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Becca

How To Host Other Peopl I want to know

I really wanted to know how to host other people...for e.g. like trap hosts all of us...I want like an easy interface or something that provides sql I know that is probably really dificult but would there possibly be a free sort of script like thing that will make hosting other sites easier......oh and provide them a sub domain....or my domain name.I am buying a domain....soon hopefully....maybe not...but I would like to host other people, to use up some of my spare space so it does not get wasted. Any sites? Help ? Anything !!!!

I would think if you just offer subdomains...and set up FTP accounts and login features through your cpanel, you could do something. I've tried doing this too, and so far, I haven't been successful with it. Anyone else have ideas?

well i was successfull to host my best friend in my domain hosted at Xisto.com (like this: fuuko.crystal-sorrow.net)i used the subdomain feature and in the username i put fuuko then i created a ftp account with the same username (fuuko) but when she tried to login she couldn't so i check it out and her ftp the user was fuuko@mytrap17username.trap17.com, anyways the point is that i could host her n__n! try it out!

i was trying something similar but no luck. really, to be able to host yourself, you just need internet access, right? like, if i had a cable modem, there's nothing stopping me from throwing a webserver on and hosting it? i tried with a 56k modem, and it worked good. going to the next level with ip addresses, etc, gets tricky - haven't worked it out yet.

do a google search for 'reseller accounts cpanel' and see what you get. usually they just have a reseller account, costs less than $100 a year, and you could make big money ;)

You will need to get a reseller account or dedicated server... Pref with cPanel and WHM (Web Host Manager).
My friend and I are starting a small hosting service... only going to hist 20 or so sites... Also an image host too...

We will never be as good as Xisto. But... who will?

i was trying something similar but no luck. really, to be able to host yourself, you just need internet access, right? like, if i had a cable modem, there's nothing stopping me from throwing a webserver on and hosting it? i tried with a 56k modem, and it worked good. going to the next level with ip addresses, etc, gets tricky - haven't worked it out yet.

You need a special connection to host your own sites... A connection with a high upload rate and not a high download rate, which is what normal internet is...Your better off renting a server...
Edited by cragllo (see edit history)

hosting other people with your Xisto account is EASY. just create a subdomain and ftp account. The only thing they won't have access to is cpanel.. but there is no real need for them to have access to it.so, the new site will be subdomain.yourtrap17account.trap17.comthe new login for ftp is subdomain@yourtrap17account.trap17.comdoing this, you allow the user to upload only to their account.. in other words, they can't go to any directory higher than the subdomain directory.if you have a top level domain you want to host with your Xisto account, then just put that TLD into your addon domains. this automatically creates a subdomain, and ftp username.. works the same as before except the site address is now the TLD.

no I mean give them like a CPANEL capability or do you need to buy a special account for that ? Im still dumb at all this hosting thing etc... I probably have to spend money on that which I dont want to use

Like I daid in my other post...You will need to get a reseller account or dedicated server... Pref with cPanel and WHM (Web Host Manager). Sometimes about ?10/monthOr rent a dedicated server with cPanel and WHM (Web Host Manager). Sometimeas about ?70/monthMy friend and I are starting a small hosting service... We are going to get a dedicated server...We will never be as good as Xisto. But... who will?

Edited by cragllo (see edit history)