xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Radeon

Torpark A new browser

" Tor works through a technique called onion routing, which uses numerous routers through which communications will pass. As data passes through points on the Tor Network, each point knows only where the data is going and where it came from. As the network grows, it becomes increasingly difficult to trace a connection's origin.
eWEEK Labs has been impressed with the functionality of Tor-based tools such as Vidalia, but these tools require full system installs and lack portability.

Hoawever, a recently released tool makes it very simple to get up and running quickly with a secure and anonymous Web connection. The free Torpark is a Firefox-based browser that automatically connects to the Tor Network and lets users surf anonymously with a minimum of fuss.

View slide show: Torpark

Even more impressive, Torpark, which runs straight from an executable and requires no installation routine, can be run directly from a USB drive. This means users can carry a privacy-enabled browser with them wherever they go. (No data is stored on the drive; only the app itself.)

Torpark is latest anonymity tool to come from the group Hacktivismo and follows in the footsteps of ScatterChat, a Tor Network-based instant messaging client. "

Notice from serverph:
COPIED CONTENT from http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/
quote tags added. please review Xisto readme.

I'm using it rite now, and it's just Firefox with built-in Tor. It loads a little bit slower but it's still good!

Download:
http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

i sometimes use torpark, it is a good idea being able to have people not know what you are doing online, however the speed decrease that is suffered when using the tor network is too great for me to use it for my general web browsing. i would only use it to do things i shouldn't be doing, or to pretend to be someone else online, or to get around some kind of IP ban.as for the usability of the software itself, if you have used firefox before you will be fine using this, the only real difference you'll notice are the tor buttons that are added so you can choose to turn on or off the tor connection. this enables you to switch between the slower anonymouns browsing and your regular fast but not private internet connection.having a browser that you can run off a usb drive doesn't mean much to me as I have already been using portable firefox to do the same thing for some time, and i prefer to use this. but if you want a way to browse the internet anonymously from wherever you are certainly try it out.

I also use tor from time to time to get around bunch of IP bans, but haven't tried torpark yet. It looks like an interesting application to use on linux. I just use the tor proxy and connect through that on my laptop. It was easy to install since this is just ubuntu, so aptitude install tor did the trick :). Also I don't want to switch to torpark because I like my browser (konqueror) more. And yeah, going through tor slows down your internet experience by quite a lot! That's why I have it usually off. Also there is even a little section in the menu that allows me to turn it off/on quickly. For those using konqueror it is Tools->HTML Settings->Enable/Disable Proxy. Quite a nifty trick :).If anyone wants to know more about tor, there was a good article on it in the june 2006 edition of the linux magazine. There are other articles there about anonymous internet usage, like antsp2p, which is supposed to be an anonymous p2p application.

Really, that browser you talked about doesn't really excite me. As heard from other memebrs it seems to be that this browser is slower then others. I do use firefox and think of it to be a very fast and reliable internet browser. No need for me to change at all!