xisto Community
trace-uk

Windows Xp - Crashed, Not Starting! Help!

HI,My windows xp crashed while I was playing a DVD. It was "16 blocks" so I guess my pc just couldn't handle looking at bruse willis and decided to end its life :)Anyway, upon restart I get the usual dell loading screen and then a screen with several options on it - start windows normally, from the last good save, or in safe mode. None of these options work. They all result in a blank screen or lines of code.I have a dimension 5150 pc. I was not supplied with any windows XP cds.I have data on the PC I'd rather not lose.Any ideas of what I can do?Thanks,Andy

something happened to my PC. i couldn't log in at all and safe mode didn't work, try phoning microsoft (if you need the product key it should be a sticker on the side of the tower. they can help you out. we basically did a whole new installation of windows (all users/settings/drivers lost) but they told us a way of backing up the files so nothing would get lost, however for this you need the windows disks. just ask them to send you a copy.

thanks for that, mate.Its not the monitor I checked that. Basically I'm going to need to install XP again I think. I'm looking on ebay for a recovery disc. What about installing linux and then backing up my files and then reinstalling XP?What do you think the chances of success are??

Installing Linux would be a great idea. I recommend a distro called Knoppix, it is a Live CD meaning an image downloaded from the internet is burnt on a CD, and then you run Linux off of that when you start your computer. It supports all the major file systems, and you can burn CDs (and probably DVDs too) with it. Just Google Knoppix. I'll be glad to help you if you need it, just PM me.

was you computer acting weird before this incident happend? stuff such as SLOWNESS? crashes? anything??

Windows XP doesn't work? I had that situation countless number of times, usually I have a live copy of Knoppix Linux with me, and it never failed me. I make a copy of my important documents using Linux.Hope this helps.

Windows XP doesn't work? I had that situation countless number of times, usually I have a live copy of Knoppix Linux with me, and it never failed me. I make a copy of my important documents using Linux.
Hope this helps.

Yep knoppix is a good way to recover the stuff on your drive,

But about you not getting a recovery CD, are you able to contact dell, I'm sure theyd send you one (although they may charge for it)

another option is to just take your hard drive into a PC shop for a day or two and get them to recover the files for you, it may cost about Ł60 though. - Don't use PCworld for this. They only damage your drive beyond recovery. Not even their largest branches are any good.

:) good luck

James

I was not supplied with any windows XP cds.

Usually the manufacturer takes no responsibility for any damage caused by a software that they did not supply with. Anyways try your luck with them. One time I used Partition magic on my computer and it messed up my hardrive, I had to pay for everything to be set right again to HP.

thanks for the help. I'm downloading Knoppix as I type.I've bought a boot up cd off of ebay, so that'll arrive in a few days if this fails.Dell said the XP reboot is built intot he hard drive so the disc isn't needed but i'd wipe all my data if used.

Care to elaborate? Further tell us of the details of the computer such as hardware? The processing speed, video card, sound card, etc. I'm interested more in why the computer crashed rather than how to fix it. After all, one should analyze the circumstance before trying to fix it, in the case of causing further damage to the computer.Remeber well the story of he who got a virus named explorers.exe, and went on to delete everything that had a similar name.

hey that was a good idea with knoppix, I managed to back up my data to this older computer. my main pc still isn't working!The story so far - windows xp crashed on my main pc. it just froze during a dvd and I cut the power. after that it wouldn't load the OS. I just got a message saying that I could choose safe mode, las good config or start it normally. no option worked! they all resulted in a blank screen.I tried to reinstall XP from my hard drive (its a dell computer) that wouldn't work either. So I trioed re-installing win98. That got about halff-way through (to the eula license) when it froze and went blank screen.Dell sent me out the XP cds. They won't boot?! They just take me to a win98 screen now saying safe mode, start noramlly etc.Any ideas??Luckily I've used linux knoppix live cd to back up my data files and move them to my older pc.I'm trying to install free OS at the moment and then try to install winxp from there! Ubuntu linux wouldn't install! It said there was a problem with the graphic dirvers or soemthing! I'm trying puppy linux and alinux now.Help me!!! lol