xisto Community
MacFly

Amd Or Intel ? best system for games

They said AMD causes overheating which damanges the motherboard... is this true? :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That is very incorrect. Otherwise there wouldn't be thousands of power users using AMD cpus all over the world. (And they wouldn't be the second biggest cpu manufacturer)

That is very incorrect. Otherwise there wouldn't be thousands of power users using AMD cpus all over the world. (And they wouldn't be the second biggest cpu manufacturer)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Why is it the second biggest cpu manufacturer? why not the first? and what's the first?

Intel is the largest (and oldest existing I believe) CPU manufacturer, followed by AMDIf you plan to overclock the cpu then while both brands are equally disputed at best for overclocking by different people some versions are better to overclock then others, simply research what ones are good to overclock before you buy the processor(when overclocking you also have to deal with heat and voltages)Generally I would agree Athlons run hotter then Pentium's but not by a large amount and if you are going to have a good cooling system in place then I don't see the extra heat being a issue and yes they will keep running, if you have no cooling this would be band, it would cook your cpu and possibly damage the motherboard, again with proper cooling it is not a problemWhenever I look at a comparison chart Athlons always seem to perform better then Athlon in most or all tasks and this includes X's which actual speed is less the Pentium's actual speedFor stability it doesn't matter what you choose though Athlon may be a bit more stable when over clocked I believeIf you have the extra money then get 64 but I don't believe you will see any difference in performance in games for now just because its 64 BITFor price Athlon is always cheaper then IntelMy conclusion is make your choice on the actual chip you buy, not just the brand, do your homework, also good cpu is helped by a good motherboard and ramIn the end I know nothing

Why is it the second biggest cpu manufacturer? why not the first? and what's the first?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Intel is the largest (not the oldest though, AMD and Intel were founded in the same year). If you ask why, I dunno... prolly because they founded the x86 architecture and cooperated with IBM to make the PC architecture mainstream. (That was a long time ago :D ) and until the Athlon came out like 5 years ago AMD cpus were no match. Well, some diehard k6-3 users claim otherwise, but I don't think so, the pentium 2 and 3 still kicked amd's *bottom*.

However the Athlon is a complete redesign, especially its floating point unit is way ahead of intel's. Intel cpus just add onto previous versions, the only major revolution for intel was from a 486 to a Pentium. After that they only decreased the size, played around with the bus widths and the cache and added extra instructions but nothing completely revolutionary. Your latest p4 today is still virtually the same cpu as the pentium from 1996.