xisto Community
MacFly

Amd Or Intel ? best system for games

Money is not really a problem, but I want a STABLE system for extreme gaming.At this very moment, I got 1000-2000 euro to spend. My current system is a P4 2400 mhz, 512 RDram @ 1024 mhz, 120 GB & 160 GB HD @ 7200 rpm. As a soundcard I got a soundblaster live with a 2.1 speaker system. My graphics card is a radeon 9700 pro.I also got a laptop wich is around the same configuration, but I'm using thisone as a server, connected through LAN with the other.In about 2 months i'd like to get one of the best gaming systems around. I'm also planning to mod it with some neon lights and water cooling. Now what will be the best.. upgrading my current pentium or buying a new one? If so, AMD or INTEL ?I'm gonna have watercooling wich means overheating won't be such a problem, and I'm not planning to overclock it too hard anyway.I'm gonna get me a 5.1 audigy 2 card (not sure yet) and a radeon X800 XT (or pro).Would it be best to upgrade or get me a new pentium, or an AMD ?remenber.. this pc is for X-treme GAMING only, there won't be ANYTHING else on it, since i got this laptop for it.

Two POints:1. It sounds to me like the PC you already have is completley sufficinet for running practically any game eveer made anyway, so why the upgrade.2.Go for AMD, because I use a 64 bit AMD processor and Coutner Strike runs like a dream, I dont think the manufacturer really makes a huge difference, but 64 bit would be benifit, and AMD are cheap (even money s apparently not a problem...)

I prefer Intel because it quite stable with ordinary software.

Mostly people trust Intel product greather than AMD.

I use to work with AMD for while. Not impressive about CPU temperature.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not impressed with cpu temp? my amd runs cooler than my pentium3/4 systems and well they use stock coolers so. This is just my case, maybe most amds run hotter than intels but in my experience my amd's have run cooler by a few degress even under load but all in all they roughly run the same temp with about a 1-3 degree diffrence.

Get a PCI Express system and a 700 dolar GeForce 6800 Ultradon't have anything better to spend your money on? (taking a look at your specs) Give me the money instead! :DAnd the CPU thingy was discussed here before, search for the thread. Basically both have their pros and cons, if you find one for a bargain get it! And let us know too :D

Get AMD if you want your computer to be fast. I have 2 computers at home, one Pentium 2.4 GHz and an AMD 1800 xp. I find that the AMD (1.5 GHz) even though its slower than the Pentium it runs much faster. So definitely I recommend AMD for efficiency. This reason has made me hate Pentium.

this pc is for X-treme GAMING only, there won't be ANYTHING else on itYeah I prefer you to get AMD 64 bit for best performance. And then Looking for good graphic card like GeForce 6800 , radeon x800. Elese go to buy ram about 512Mb-1 Gb. well this will be prepare for X-treme GAMING. :D

Two POints:1. It sounds to me like the PC you already have is completley sufficinet for running practically any game eveer made anyway, so why the upgrade.2.Go for AMD, because I use a 64 bit AMD processor and Coutner Strike runs like a dream, I dont think the manufacturer really makes a huge difference, but 64 bit would be benifit, and AMD are cheap (even money s apparently not a problem...)

They said AMD causes overheating which damanges the motherboard... is this true? :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The diffrence between amd and intel is that,

If you aMd gets overheated, that damn thing continues giving you PERFORMANCE, until it burns itself.. and also damaging the motherboard.

As for the intel processors ( which I like ), these chips have some kinda system which halts the processor as soon as it starts getting heated up.. In other words, if you are playing Unreal Tournament and your processors gets overheated, then you will notice that the FPS reduces gradually, Also If you happen to remove the HEATSINK and try this out, the fps reduces gradually until the whole pc halts down.. If you did the same with AMD, you will see continued performance for few minutes before your pc motherboard and the processor itself are burnt out.. ( you can actually see the smoke ).

I have seen the above test performed in Tom's Hardware Benchmark Tests.

-OpaQue

The diffrence between amd and intel is that,

If you aMd gets overheated, that damn thing continues giving you PERFORMANCE, until it burns itself..  and also damaging the motherboard.

As for the intel processors  ( which I like ), these chips have some kinda system which halts the processor as soon as it starts getting heated up.. In other words, if you are playing Unreal Tournament and your processors gets overheated, then you will notice that the FPS reduces gradually, Also If you happen to remove the HEATSINK and try this out, the fps reduces gradually until the whole pc halts down..  If you did the same with AMD, you will see continued performance for few minutes before your pc motherboard and the processor itself are burnt out.. ( you can actually see the smoke ).

I have seen the above test performed in Tom's Hardware Benchmark Tests.

-OpaQue

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So, what kind of processor can you recommend? How can I avoid the overheating?