xisto Community
Than

The Best Software To Compress Mp3s?

What is the best software to compress mp3s in 24/32kbps?I need it so i can play them on my phoneI have tried some few but they give bad result when the mp3 is compressed..thanx

Moving to Software section.Let's get one thing straight.. MP3 is already compressed format of WAVE format. Do you want to compress it again?MP3 is a set standard of compression method. This means one MP3 converter software will not result smaller file size than another converter software.But what you can do is the sampling sequence. Instead of CBR, constant bit rate, you can do VBR a variable bit rate. VBR will save few % of the total size but not recommended when going lower than 96kbps rate. It will result in audible distortion. By the way, some people can notice distortion even at 128kbps, so at 24 or 32 kbps I can only imagine how terrible it might've sound.If you're trying to put musics to your phone, try searching for ringtone format of that song. Ringtones are in different format and only utilizes crucial wave instruments to make a music (an advance form of MIDI). Otherwise your best bet is to have external card (mini-sd) and place all your musics in there.

I agree that Audacity is a good program. I also use Wavepad to compress my Mp3 files. On top of that, the program also can change the bit rate, either to a lower bit rate for to make the audio file smaller in size, or it can encode the song in higher qualities as well. You can download it here: http://yahoo.com/

I have tried a lot of programs to compress mp3 for my phone.... The best program I have found was Nero Wave Editor. I don't know why, but when I compress mp3 with this app, melody sounds great!!!! If you enable mp3PRO, it has better sound!

Dear Than, I have used hunrdreds of softwares to change bitrate of mp3 file for my mp4 player :lol: . i found dBpowerAMP Music Converter da best. It is Freeware :(

But i prefer you to create a back up of your songs, before converting. Do not cnver you songs into 16 or 32 kbps. the result will "VERY BAD QUALITY". I prefer you to covert ur songs into 52 or 64 kbps