xisto Community
AlternativeNick

Connection Problems

im not really sure why this is happeneing. Firstly, let me explain how this is all set upI have a cable modem, which has a cord going into my wireless router, and also into my desktop.now last night, i was on the desktop, and my dad was on his laptop using the wireless internet. both of us were disconnected at the same time (thats never happened before)i couldnt connect to the web or through mIRC. after a few minutes, it was back to normallater last night, i lost connection again, waited around for a while, and still couldnt get connected, so i shut down the computer and went to bed.this morning, i get on, and the web works fine, but i still cannot connect to any IRC servers, through any available ports. Ive checked the windows firewall settings, and the mirc client is listed in the exceptions, and 'do not allow exceptions' is unchecked. If someone could help me, i would really appreciate it :)

Don't know for certain whether this will work for you, but have you tried re-setting the wireless router by unplugging the power cord for thirty seconds or so?I have to do that to mine occasionally.

Works like a charm for me unless the router is dead set on being a tard. I usually only have to wait until the "A network cable has been unplugged" since I'm directly connected to the router - my mother and brother use wireless and my dad simply connects to mine - and then I can plug it back in, wait a minute, and things usually work again. Since we have cable internet, it tends to be a little laggy from time to time, but if it works for World of Warcraft, it definitely works for me.

Like jlhaslip suggested, resetting your router usually fixes any problems. I remember I had a problem like that and I couldn't get online, but when I plugged in directly to the modem, my connection was working perfectly. I'm not sure what kind of router you have (mine is a Linksys) but there should be a button you press on the back of it or mabye on the bottom to reset it.

Anonoter thing that I have to do sometimes when this happens to me is go into thee control panel>network connections>and then right click on the modem and select "repair." That resets things. I try that before unplugging and that works sometimes.